Author Topic: Dealing with the heat and sun.  (Read 7973 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Dealing with the heat and sun.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 03:07:12 PM »
The EMTs in the ambulance didn't have a wide assortment of tools - the tin snips worked.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline edinlr

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 03:17:20 PM »
George, don't let the low humidity fool you.  Ninety degrees is plenty hot, but in the sun with full leathers it can be very uncomfortable, especially with those stylish black leathers that absorb every ray of sunshine.

The worst conditions are at the Arkansas Mile when it is hot, because it will be 80 to 95 and humidity in the 60+ %, that is brutal unless you are very careful.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline gschuld

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »
Yes, I wouldn’t take it lightly by any means.  Minimizing my direct sun exposure would be a big deal, especially in those black leathers.  I like the idea of the Kevlar or other under layer idea.  Makes sense to me.

So on a typical run, I’d be fine ru ning myself back to the pits afterward, and I’m OK to bring myself to the waiting line again under power.  Since I’d be functionally riding a lowered onboard electric start streetbike,
this doesn’t pose a problem.  It’s the time waiting for the next run that seems to be the concern.  

I’ve read varying reports about average wait times, so what’s the deal there?  I understand that a crash can certainly delay things without warning, but otherwise we are talking anything from 30 minutes to several hours?  It’s the latter that is of concern.  Bringing portable shade like a big beach umbrella like some have mentioned seems logical enough.

Someone mentioned shaded areas set up near the waiting area.  Is this intended for racers to keep out of the sun or is there fast enough movement in the line to be at the bike moving it constantly?

I assume it’s something like open test and tune night at the dragstrip?  Free for all, first come first serve, wait and move and wait until it’s your turn.  Long line but quick turnover unless an incident happens?

What’s the general percentage of those riders waiting solo with their bikes trying to stay cool(umbrella, jacket off) while pushing their bikes as the the line moves until the next run compared to those with bikes on trailers with the rider and crew in the support vehicle until go time?  

I suppose many racers have more complicated needs bike wise so that isn’t practical.  But of those pretty uncomplicated jump on and ride type bikes...  solo or support vehicle/trailer?

George
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:24:21 PM by gschuld »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
I haven't been to the BMST but I betcha it's similar to SCTA/BNI and USFRA events and so on.  That is, I have never heard anyone say "NO!  Get Out!  There's no room for you under OUR shade, peon!!"

Nope, not even once.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 10:18:25 PM »
George, don't let the low humidity fool you.  Ninety degrees is plenty hot, but in the sun with full leathers it can be very uncomfortable, especially with those stylish black leathers that absorb every ray of sunshine.

The worst conditions are at the Arkansas Mile when it is hot, because it will be 80 to 95 and humidity in the 60+ %, that is brutal unless you are very careful.

Must be global warming drying out the air... I lived in Blytheville for about 8 years and remember a lot of 90 degree days, but never remembered humidity as low as 60  :-o  we always said the temp was 90-90....

Shade at Bonneville is a premium... everyone that has it shares it with anyone that wants to stand in it.  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline hoss

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 11:40:18 PM »
I don't believe there are any SCTA, or BNI events that will let you go to the line, or back to the pits under power, thats why you need a crew vehicle.

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 12:27:43 AM »
At BMST you have the choice of bringing your bike on/in a support vehicle to staging or riding it to staging. I'd guess about 85% of bikes ride out even if a support vehicle comes out to the staging area. Regarding wait times, riders are sent out from pre stage to staging in groups of ten. IIRC the ideal average that the track stewards shoot for is about three and a half minute intervals per run. So when things are flowing the wait usually isn't much more than 30 minutes. On the short/intermediate course the groups alternate from the two starting miles (0 & 1 in 2018) so there can be a bit of a wait for the riders at the other starting point.

That said, on my first run I waited about an hour and half due to a crash happening just as I got to pre stage and being rider number 10 in the group. I qualified on my down run and when I got to the 4 mile for my return only three riders in the group got to run before the wind came up and the course closed with two of us still waiting to run. We waited for about 1-3/4 hours until the end of the day but the wind never let up. So I spent roughly 4 hours in line that day. However when I was out there I didn't really mind. Even though it was hot I was having so much fun hanging with other salt racers that it is some of the best time in my memory. AMA Ken kindly gave us priority to run in the first group released the next morning and things were running so smoothly I had a record before breakfast.

Offline comet

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 05:01:33 AM »
As several posters have pointed out above, the first thing is try to bring your own shade, if you can squeeze a golf umbrella into your pocket, tape it to your seat to get to staging or to the starting mile then that will help. BMST is very good at providing pop ups for riders shade but they can get busy at times. Even when they are busy you will still find space under the shade.
Keep your fluids up. Again BMST will provide water for riders. and water will be at every start point. Bring your own Gatorade or similar, it is amazing how quickly you lose minerals and electrolytes from your body, it is equally amazing how quickly that will take you from feeling fine to feeling very far from fine and very very uncomfortable. Back in 2008 I thought I had it all covered, factor 70 sunblock, a hat, long sleeves and I was drinking pints and pints of water. I started to feel ill at the farewell banquet and 3 days later I was still feeling rough. It is not a mistake I have made again.
We always try to make sure every rider knows where they are in the line up, and we try to give each rider a heads up of when they have 3 bikes in front of them. I hope that this gives everyone enough time to get themselves kitted up and ready to ride without having to rush or panic to get ready, but not so much time as they are sitting for too long with the leathers zipped up and their helmet on.
Of course none of us can male allowances for an incident on course or the wind coming up. Also, a cloth to get wet and put round your neck can be a massive help. In 2017 the OSRT guys gave Dawn and I one of their keep 'em cool cloths, they are great. Make it wet and plop it on your head, it's lovely. And it really help to keep your core temp down.

Cheers
John

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 11:04:23 AM »
John, I can't begin to describe just how amazing you volunteers are out there at the starting line and everywhere else at the event. You make us feel like royalty.

Offline DRW

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 09:37:22 PM »
Ive been to BMST 4 Times, True they take care of you, But the one place lacking is,What I call,ON DECK , Thats where you are fully ready leathers,Helmet & Gloves, And waiting as the one guy in front takes off, Now your 100% Exposed, I have asked BMST why not a long EZ-Up for the next in line only,They told me, Please Help out,and ask , Any sponser that would like to step up and do one or two EZ-Ups for this area let me know and Ill make it happen, Ive looked on Ebay, For a fully printed Your name all over it say 10 x 12 EZ - Up $600 - $ 1000
I have reached out to a few Owners and places ,but so far, No ones in . Again, If you might want to ,Ill get you any info needed and in contact with the powers at be to get it done , Man that would sure be nice to have Two, One for each course... DW 
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2018, 10:39:20 PM »
Or an umbrella girl.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 11:59:57 PM »
The temps on the salt are less than at Wendover.  Time slips from ten years of racing show it to be in the low 70's on average at BMST.  Maybe it is the white surface that lowers the temps.  It reflects rather than absorbs some solar radiation.  There is water and shade available.

In the summer I spend a lot of time outdoors in the sun and avoid air conditioned places as much as possible.  This includes driving in the truck.  The conditions at the salt flats are no big deal 'cause I am climatized to outdoor life.  Us human type animals are amazingly adaptable.       

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2018, 12:49:00 AM »

Spent the majority of my working life installing roofs in the high humidity and heat in the tropical region of Australia, therefore the heat at Gairdner and Bonneville do not bother me,, however it affected some of my employees, so I ensured thay had plenty water (at ambient, not cold) and also provided trailmix for them to snack on thru the day, thay all commented on how thay felt better for it,,

The altitude at Bonneville can cause one problems, my first cuppla meets at Bonneville I felt tied and listless and couldn't reason why until one year after BMST we went back to SanFran then back up to WOS and I felt fine
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 11:10:45 AM »
Or an umbrella girl.

Where's Tony... we need umbrella girls  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline gschuld