Author Topic: El Mirage fuels for gas class  (Read 2246 times)

Offline sabat

El Mirage fuels for gas class
« on: October 17, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
Hello folks, I know this is an old issue, and I've read all the posts I can find. I'm trying to find a list of VP fuels that will pass the SCTA gas test. I plan to bring out a gas class bike for November, and the record is open, so there's a fair chance I'll have to get tested.

I've emailed with the SCTA record certification person Mike Kaehny, and he knows of no list of acceptable fuels for gas class.

I've emailed VP about the dielectric constant of their fuels, and haven't heard back. I'm not that hopeful.

Does anyone have experience running VP gas at El Mirage? The oxygenated blends can be worth 5-8hp compared to pump gas or C-12 etc, so I'd prefer to use oxygenated  gas if it's legal. I worry that some oxygenated fuels (MR12) may be test above 15, but I really have no idea.

thanks,
Dean

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: El Mirage fuels for gas class
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
Dean, I would take a sample to Mike and have it tested when you are going through tech. I know VP C-12 will pass (at least is has in the past) so take a sample of what you'd like to run and have it tested before the event. If it won't pass run what will.

Good Luck
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline sabat

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 02:03:56 PM »
I will probably do that, but was hoping to avoid 2 dyno sessions and 2 fuel maps.

To correct myself, the EM records are of course not "open" but the minimum should be within reach.

I'm also choosing to think positive about the weather over the next month, as I'm told the lakebed is underwater right now.

It would be great if folks who run gas classes at EM could collectively create a list of fuels that have passed (I'd be happy to organize and maintain it).

thanks,
Dean

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 02:40:22 PM »
Dean,

Q16 is a bit above 15 however once opened for a bit and aerated it drops well below the 15 threshold. 

C12 and C16 is fine for gas, what fuel have you dynoed with that you re running?  You can also blend the two at the track to get under the max numbers allowed.

For this event it might be a moot point with the weather we have had recently however.  Hoping it will be fine and dry.  What bike and class are you running?  What SCTA club as well?

Offline sabat

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 02:59:18 PM »
Hey John, I'm a Gear Grinder, and if the weather cooperates I hope to run MG-1000. Engine is mid-build, nothing fancy, and I hope to tune it in a few weeks. I just realized a few days ago that there's no event gas at EM. Maybe I'll tune on MR12 and bring that pail to EM, and if it doesn't pass, blend it until it does. Thanks for the info. -Dean

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 10:17:04 PM »
Hoping for a dry weekend as well,Dean!! Hope to run the big bike~!
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline sabat

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
Me too Jim, hope to see you out there. If not, then next year.

I heard back from VP, sort of. I had asked if they had a list of DC values for their fuels, and that I was interested in MR12. The tech's response was:

"This is what I got back from our chemist.

If the meter can read the high value properly, theoretically it will be around +8 on a Kavlico meter."

Not sure how the Kavlico compares to the Digitron listed in the rulebook, but I may find out someday.

Dean

Offline MRK

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »
Me too Jim, hope to see you out there. If not, then next year.

I heard back from VP, sort of. I had asked if they had a list of DC values for their fuels, and that I was interested in MR12. The tech's response was:

"This is what I got back from our chemist.

If the meter can read the high value properly, theoretically it will be around +8 on a Kavlico meter."

Not sure how the Kavlico compares to the Digitron listed in the rulebook, but I may find out someday.

Dean

Dean,
Today's the day...
A plus 8 on the Kavlico is an 88 on the Digatron.
Regards, Mike
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline sabat

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 01:41:52 PM »
Yikes, nitro is around 40!  Seems like there must be mistakes in my info or units somewhere.

I just got info from a EM racer that VP U4 oxy gas passed the test some years ago. If the weather agrees I'll try on open pail of MR12 and see what happens.