Author Topic: Philosophy of making a run  (Read 10588 times)

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
Philosophy of making a run
« on: October 16, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »
I sometimes wonder, if you are making a run with no chance and no intention of breaking a record, is your run less valid than one made with the intent and preparation necessary to break a record? In other words, should only those vehicles/teams that are serious about breaking records be allowed to run? Or is running at 75% of a record a valid use of the SCTA's time and personnel? I'm wondering because last year I ran for records, got one and then sold my vehicle last winter. I want to get some more time on the lake bed, but will not have a competitive vehicle, and frankly I'm not sure I ever will spend what is necessary to win records again. For $5K I can get a vehicle capable of going over 175, but no where near a record. Is that OK? If I take my "slow" vehicle, and can come back meet after meet, and eek out another mile per hour or two, I'd consider that a personal victory. Is that type of racing frowned upon?

These are rhetorical questions, because I know if I spend my money and volunteer my time with my club, no one can really stop me. Just wondering what the general feeling of racers is on this issue.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: Philosophy of making a run
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »
Having never made a pass myself, in my opinion, it's all about the experience.  No records needed.

BUT!  I believe that you will soon get the itch to once again fight for a record.

:cheers:
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:50:48 PM »
If only those with serious possibility of running record ran.  The SCTA would go broke. And nobody would be able to run.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »
Here's  my personal example:  A few years back I wanted to make some runs on my Icebreaker - the nitrous bike.  I wasn't going to spray and knew I'd be lucky to get within 20% of the record speed.  I made runs - later in the day, and later in the week, when the lines weren't long.  I'd get to the line and tell Jim that I wanted to make a easy run on the long course - certainly over the 175, for sure -- he'd say "Go ahead and have fun.  You've done enough work for the day" and so on.  After all -- we volunteers are racers, too (for the most part), and we enjoy going down the course, too.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 04:30:35 PM »
If only those with serious possibility of running record ran.  The SCTA would go broke. And nobody would be able to run.

This is true. And I will add to the that by saying that "most" participants are not competitive for records either.  90 percent of the records are set by 10 percent of the people.  Just please don't have me sitting in my car behind a van that I think has one bike in it and then pull out 4!   

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 04:51:44 PM »
Ahh, Philosophy . . . the academic's bench-racing.

In my case, it's not about me - it's about the car.

The only reason I had a record in my name is because the fellow I wanted to have drive it couldn't attend the event.

For me, it's about building the vehicle to take on the record.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 05:33:31 PM »
If only those with serious possibility of running record ran.  The SCTA would go broke. And nobody would be able to run.

This is true. And I will add to the that by saying that "most" participants are not competitive for records either.  90 percent of the records are set by 10 percent of the people.  Just please don't have me sitting in my car behind a van that I think has one bike in it and then pull out 4!  

That's OK, if its Noonan, at least one bike will be a push vehicle.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 12:34:43 AM »
NOT only YES but hockey sticks yes   Rich Fox is spot on
Choppie I am not with you on this----those bikes  paid the same fee as you and you had to move up 3  less times, and you wait  will be way less than if they were cars you had to wait to run
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 12:32:28 PM »
NOT only YES but hockey sticks yes   Rich Fox is spot on
Choppie I am not with you on this----those bikes  paid the same fee as you and you had to move up 3  less times, and you wait  will be way less than if they were cars you had to wait to run

I agree I have no problem with waiting.  However I don't want to suit up in teh car 30 minutes sooner than necessary sitting in the heat,  because  there are many more in line than I thought.  One of the reasons the wait is long is because people aren't ready when they should be and I will not be that guy.  Everyone wants to complain about waiting but I can gaurantee that most are part of the problem not the solution.  At one point at the World Finals,  I literally could not find a participant ready to run even thought there were over 10 deep in line..

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 12:34:12 PM »
I got to make the 300 line this year!  One of my personal lsr goals,

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »
 :cheers:  One of my goals with the new car haven't gotten there yet
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 07:52:59 PM »
I got to make the 300 line this year!  One of my personal lsr goals,

I thought you just had to make a run over 300 to get in the 300 line.

Do you have to hold a record over 300?

JL222

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »
8/11: 89 B BGS Eddies Chop Shop 352.573   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jl222

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 10:13:50 PM »
8/11: 89 B BGS Eddies Chop Shop 352.573   :cheers:

Mike

Yeah, Eddie had a time over 400 mph and I thought that would qualify for the 300 line

JL222

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 11:02:02 AM »
I'll say that I have as much respect for those who run and aren't competitive as those who are competitive because at least they're out there running. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member