Author Topic: How do you determine the size of an air dam?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Paul P

How do you determine the size of an air dam?
« on: October 16, 2018, 09:37:28 AM »
I bought a car last year and ran it at Bonneville this year (2018) and had great success.  One of the guys that help build the car originally told me to cut off 2" from the air dam.  He did not build the dam for the car but told the original owner he thought is was 2" too tall and those extra 2" were just adding resistance.  He said I should even try running it without the dam.  I did make two runs without the dam and did not notice any control issues but due to engine issues I was running 10 mph slower than I had been running with the dam.  I am running in a classic category so the body is not modified and it sits close to its original factory ride height.  The factory literature lists a 0.40 drag coefficient for the car from the factory.  The guy giving the advice is very well known and many of you would recognize his name.  So the question is, how do you calculate the dam size? No pun intended.

Offline jjolly

Re: How do you determine the size of an air dam?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 09:16:44 PM »
I am going to use as much air dam as the rules will allow in my brick of a C\CGC 79 Mustang. I have been 195. I run an air dam as low to the ground as possible. This year I will have my air dam 1/2 inch off the salt because the car is lifting a bit at speed. I run a plastic dam with a removable aluminum backer. The lowest 2 inches of the dam will just be plastic for dragging the salt in the rough patches...
Joe
 C/CGC 79 Mustang. 214.698 Speedweek 2021
Why not now?

Offline Paul P

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 09:00:39 AM »
I am going to use as much air dam as the rules will allow in my brick of a C\CGC 79 Mustang. I have been 195. I run an air dam as low to the ground as possible. This year I will have my air dam 1/2 inch off the salt because the car is lifting a bit at speed. I run a plastic dam with a removable aluminum backer. The lowest 2 inches of the dam will just be plastic for dragging the salt in the rough patches...

From your comments I take it that your advice is to run as much air dam as possible?   The plastic at the bottom is a great idea if the intent is to run as large a dam as possible.  I guess my question is when is the dam too big and just creating drag.  In your case I can see that you want to go bigger because you are lifting.  I'm not lifting even without the air dam.  At least not at the speeds I am running.  Just so you know I got three records with the car in 2018 so I'm running competitive speeds. 

I just bought a 79 Mustang that I intend to convert to a Bonneville car. 

Offline tortoise

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 12:06:01 PM »
I bought a car last year and ran it at Bonneville this year (2018) and had great success.  One of the guys that help build the car originally told me to cut off 2" from the air dam.
Can you lower the car?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 12:50:17 PM »
Here's an image (hopefully) of a car that went 250+ with stock air dam, but lowered a shitload.  Sure makes for a smaller shape going forward . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Paul P

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 10:33:36 AM »
I bought a car last year and ran it at Bonneville this year (2018) and had great success.  One of the guys that help build the car originally told me to cut off 2" from the air dam.
Can you lower the car?

I probably could lower is an inch or two.  The front tires have a low profile and give me a little rake.  Can't remember off the top of my head the size of the front tires but the back tires are good ole Front Runners 26x4.5-15.  I have a set of 28x4.5-15 that I have not run yet.  Added a photo.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 11:30:49 AM »
If you close the rear hatch (tailgate / truck lid) you would reduce drag. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Paul P

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 02:15:37 PM »
If you close the rear hatch (tailgate / truck lid) you would reduce drag. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
John

As long as I can leave the door open.  :-)

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »
Your photo shows the car in /Alt configuration at least. You can close up the radiator vents to benefit if you can cool it otherwise. My understanding is that the air dam does two major things: 1) keeping air from the generally high drag of rough underbody and 2) reduces front lift (and balance etc to the rear-changes to the front in a wind tunnel will show rear lift changes as well). In either of these circumstances you want the dam as low as possible and I can say from experience that you want some rubber/stiff plastic or something on the lower couple of inches as there are crunchies, berms, pot holes and other stuff awaiting on turn outs, return roads, etc that will bend it otherwise. Needs to be flexible enough to take an impact and reform.  I don't have my wind tunnel stuff right now but initial configuration with the dam maybe 2.5" off the ground showed improvement by adding an inch to it. I definitely would not shorten it. JMHO.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 03:52:44 PM »
Your photo shows the car in /Alt configuration at least. You can close up the radiator vents to benefit if you can cool it otherwise. My understanding is that the air dam does two major things: 1) keeping air from the generally high drag of rough underbody and 2) reduces front lift (and balance etc to the rear-changes to the front in a wind tunnel will show rear lift changes as well). In either of these circumstances you want the dam as low as possible and I can say from experience that you want some rubber/stiff plastic or something on the lower couple of inches as there are crunchies, berms, pot holes and other stuff awaiting on turn outs, return roads, etc that will bend it otherwise. Needs to be flexible enough to take an impact and reform.  I don't have my wind tunnel stuff right now but initial configuration with the dam maybe 2.5" off the ground showed improvement by adding an inch to it. I definitely would not shorten it. JMHO.

Look where Cup front air dams/splitters are placed . . . . .  as close to the track as they can get them.

Air going under the car reduces cooling effectiveness and adds drag by spilling out from the sides and back.    EVERY car I've ever worked on, got faster when "air" was kept from going "underneath" the front.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 09:40:39 PM »
. . . and that could start with lowering the vehicle.  Both are Monza "Altereds".  Look at the distance from the top of the front and back wheels in relation to the top of the fender openings on each.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 07:02:44 AM »
. . . and that could start with lowering the vehicle.  Both are Monza "Altereds".  Look at the distance from the top of the front and back wheels in relation to the top of the fender openings on each.

YES!   I agree that lowering reduces the "frontal area".    Do not forget that "frontal area" is a part of the Cda equation . . . . .

Lowering the front more, adds "rake", which, dependent on body shape, may be even more helpful.    Testing would determine this.

:cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein