Author Topic: Bloodhound in trouble?  (Read 4466 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Bloodhound in trouble?
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:53:16 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45838994.

It's not necessarily the end of the road, but it looks like Bloodhound SSC will not continue in its current form.

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: Bloodhound in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
I was wondering why there hadn't been much noise since the October shakedown runs (at 200 mph). That's a shame.

Just goes to show how logarithmic speed dollars are too. They need 1,000 times more money to finish the Bloodhound SSC than I estimate I need to finish Squeeze of Lemming and they are only aiming for 5 times faster than I am!

They probably have a bigger shed than I do too  :-D
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline comet

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »
That will be a real shame if the project hits the skids.The whole project has done an awful lot to encourage youngsters into a career in engineering. Perhaps this was on the cards as far back as when the Indian taxi producer came up with a large investment package. Typical British journalism though, blame Brexit, lol.
I hope they can find the funding to complete the project.
Yep, I reckon their shed might be a little bigger than yours.

Offline MX304

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 03:37:08 PM »
Been in trouble for a long time. I don't see this ending well for them

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 04:30:42 PM »
Bet that guy Rosco in the penal colonies could get-r-dun with about 1/5 of what they want to finish it!   :-o :-D :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

velocity

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 05:00:11 AM »
Bloodhound has been profoundly successful and "not in trouble for years" as one person wrote. I was asked by R. Noble to speak at fundraiser open house in the summer of 2017 and found the shop to be quite active and brimming with gobs of completed work. Work that required staff, crew and follow-through.

The big problems have been Brexit which has screwed up no end of sponsorship deals in more ways than I care to elucidate upon. Through it the Richard and Co. has soldiered on, much like that guy who built bridge over the river Kwai.

Never count RN, OBE out. Daunting the man is nearly impossible.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »
"Through it the Richard and Co. has soldiered on, much like that guy who built bridge over the river Kwai."

Yes, but remember Col. Bogey's last words, "What have I done?" just before things went to hell.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

velocity

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 01:26:35 PM »
That's because he wasn't RN, OBE

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 07:26:42 PM »
Here's a mailing from Rosco McGlashan:

It is with tremendous sadness and disbelief that our great friends and rivals the British Bloodhound SSC Team are facing financial problems with the completion of their 1000 mph thrust powered racer.

Richard Noble, whom I have always referred to as one of the World’s most enigmatic and best entrepreneurs, has been a godsend to my teams LSR aspirations. Back in the late 80’s he loaned us his Design Engineer John “Ackers” Ackroyd, and we have never given him back! With Ackers and Richard’s help in the 1990’s we went on to set the Australian LSR record and came within a whisker of breaking Richard's own world mark. He was prepared to help us at the detriment of his own record.

We learned that achieving the impossible just took time, dedication, determination, ability and guts, and obviously some money eases the pain. We experienced countless set-backs, yet always received words of encouragement and advice.

About 10 years ago my team was a year into the design and development of our latest car, Aussie Invader 5R. A car with more power than any previous car ever conceived! This car was designed so it could not be pipped at the post when another contender entered the race, with more than enough power to outrun any new creation.

Our latest car is Aussie Invader 5R, a rocket powered beast and simple in design (keep it safe and simple). Then my phone rang, “Howdy Rosco it’s Richard Noble here, how’s it all going? I thought I would let you be one of the first to know we are building a 1000 mph car!” I thought bloody Brits, as my chin hit my chest and my mind went into a spin. Then I came to my senses and thought, great, we can go up against the best!

Richard has gained the backing from the UK twice before and has the RIGHT STUFF to bring this together once again, with his legendary driver Andy Green, we had better get a wriggle on and the gauntlet was well and truly thrown down.

We have over the past 10 years of construction of our car monitored our progress against BSSC and again marvelled at the engineering and progress their car was making. It’s impossible to now believe that the British public would allow this project to fail because of a funding issue. The BSSC project has inspired hundreds of thousands of men, women and many children worldwide with their STEM Program and will pay kudos to the UK for decades to come.

We look forward to a “Supersonic Showdown” with both cars at the same location; we’ll let BSSC decide where!

Come on Britain reach into your pockets and get behind these legendary, brave history makers!

Yours faithfully

Rosco McGlashan OAM & The Aussie Invader Team
Fastest Aussie on Earth
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com