Author Topic: LSR Truck Tonneau Cover  (Read 2694 times)

Offline MikeVanErt

• New folks
LSR Truck Tonneau Cover
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:05:14 PM »
Hello all!  Just recently purchased a 1997 Chevy S-10 with a 4.3L V6 and an automatic transmission.  My plan is to start with the USFRA 130/150 MPH Clubs while I continue to prep the truck for eventual racing in the SCTA MP/MMP classes.  I am closing in on starting to fabricate my tonneau cover but am undecided on materials.  I am leaning towards using two 4'x3' panels of 16 gauge steel with a 16 gauge steel square tubing support structure for each panel.  Was going to use Dzus Fasteners to hold everything down.  I wanted to use steel as it will be doable with my basic fabrication skills, but, every cover I have seen at Bonneville or the dragstrip has been aluminum.  Should I switch to the aluminum or would steel be doable?  Basic calculations puts the steel tonneau cover right around 100 lbs. 

Any thoughts or advice?  Thank you!
-Mike   

Offline will6er

Re: LSR Truck Tonneau Cover
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:23:49 PM »
Steel would give you more weight which is your friend.

Will Willis #6302

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 02:18:06 AM »
But it will raise you CoG, think about the big picture.  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline MikeVanErt

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »
Agreed on the raised CoG.  Eventually there will be quite a bit of weight on/under the bed floor.  I am just trying to avoid paying for the same modification twice.  Also trying to be careful with adding weight right now as I am really not sure what kind of potential that mostly stock V6 has in it.  Want to at least get into the 130 MPH Club without swapping motors if at all possible.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
No time like the present to figure out AL... it is easy, your skills should be transferable.... bolt it all together with tabs.... maybe use angle instead of square.... get creative...
It will be fun  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »
That double skinned Polycarbonate sheet is light, stiff and affordable.
It's got a box like honeycomb core and methinks you won't need great fabricating skills to make it work.

Offline Frank06

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 05:53:33 PM »
Have a look on ecomodder.com, there's a guy there who has made a nice cover for his truck.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

E-Racer

Offline Frank06

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 06:27:31 PM »
I think his name is Phil Knox.  It's more than just a cover in that it starts at the top- back of the cab.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

E-Racer

Offline salt27

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »
If you think your ambitions may go beyond the 130 club and into a class, I would suggest consulting a
the rule book to avoid building this more than once.

Don

Offline MikeVanErt

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 10:17:37 AM »
I have been researching my plan for this truck thoroughly in the classes I may compete in someday (MP & MMP).  All I can find on tonneau covers is that they must be flush with the bedrails and cannot provide an aerodynamic advantage.  Plan was definitely to build this cover to that, just undecided on the material.  I appreciate all the help and suggestions so far!  Thanks again!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
Absolutely  no reason you can't use steel, if that is what you want to work with.

Offline 1leg

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 07:02:23 PM »
Sense you plan to run at Bonneville and you only want to do it once I would go with Aluminum. During your build you may be taking the bad off at times the Aluminum will also make that easier. But if all you have or can work with is steel then use steel and get out and race.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 07:31:49 PM »
Use what you want, brace it well so it does not flex, under no circumstances have it higher than the bed top edge even the hinge if you use one. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro