Author Topic: ECTA at Blytheville, Arkansas Nov 10 and 11  (Read 17305 times)

Offline lake_harley

• New folks
Re: ECTA at Blytheville, Arkansas Nov 10 and 11
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply. You make a lot of very good points and give me many things to think about and evaluate about my level of interest and commitment. When I first attended Blytheville in June, my initial thought was to make some runs with my stock '89 Corvette. That might still be a way for me to participate at some level, rather than constructing a purpose built race car. Honestly, I don't know that at 66 years old the desire burns nearly high enough in me, as it apparently burns inside you and others. I don't see that as particularly bad, but it is reality.

I wish you well and thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Lynn  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:28:46 PM by lake_harley »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 04:49:17 PM »
I think you can race every paved mile with your stock car.... and Bonneville  :-o USFRA 130 Club can get you a salt fix.  It's not easy, but you are still young, so go for it... get out there and race. 
When you decide you want to go 200, build or buy someone's project, make it yours and go race...
the general theme here is.... yep you guessed it....
GO RACING
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline White Monster

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »
Having attended Blytheville on Saturday, Nov. 10 ... it was cold and rather windy but the car/motorcycle count was really low.

Yep, those two things are directly proportionate.

My initial thought was to make some runs with my stock '89 Corvette.

The ECTA used to have a rule about plastic and fiberglass bodied cars requiring a roll bar /  cage, but not sure about that now, since Steve took over. Anybody ?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:19:15 PM by White Monster »
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 12:36:15 PM »
At 76 my desire has cooled some but when I can find someone to go play in the shop with I still go---at 66 I was eaten up desire for hats and to go 300+   yes most of B'ville guys have a sick adiction
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 02:38:16 PM »
Some just call it a carcain addiction! :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline lake_harley

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 06:44:34 PM »

"The ECTA used to have a rule about plastic and fiberglass bodied cars requiring a roll bar /  cage, but not sure about that now, since Steve took over. Anybody ?"

I talked with ECTA at the September meet about a possible classification to run the 'Vette. They pointed out a couple classes but I don't have my notes here to mention what they are. They were aware I was asking about a 'Vette in particular, so I guess it occurred to them that it's a fiberglass car.

Running the 'Vette instead of thinking of building a purpose-built car might prove to be a win-win. I get to race something at some level, and my high mileage (almost 200K) 'Vette will get more love in order to get it ready. I guess the first meet next year will be around April like it was this year, so I have some time to work in some tweaking/tuning on the 'Vette through the Winter.

BTW...I did look over the USFRA street car info and it sounds like a good program to go fast and do it legally. In reading the report on the website by a rookie participant it's apparent it isn't just so easy to go 130 in the mile. I've always been skeptical, at best, about those "good-'ol-boys" stories that include, "We were doin' about 140 MPH last Saturday night.....blah, blah" but now I'm even more convinced they're BS. :-D

Lynn

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 08:37:26 PM »

I've always been skeptical, at best, about those "good-'ol-boys" stories that include, "We were doin' about 140 MPH last Saturday night.....blah, blah" but now I'm even more convinced they're BS. :-D

Lynn

BS... Never :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline White Monster

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 10:48:44 AM »
Running the 'Vette instead of thinking of building a purpose-built car might prove to be a win-win.

Yes, that is what I would recommend, before you jump into it with both feet. The published performance numbers for your 245 hp '89 includes 0-100 mph in 14.42 secs., so I believe you will be able to get to 130 mph in a mile. Your largest hurtle is overcoming the limitations of your Tuned Port Injection feature.

The easiest way to race, is to run in the Time Only (TO) category, where you get to race just like everyone else and get a time slip, you just are not in competition against the other racers, nor qualifying for class records. It's basically for having FUN !

If you believe you are competitive enough, did you look at the Super Stock C/GSS class in the Street Category ?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 11:33:41 AM »

I've always been skeptical, at best, about those "good-'ol-boys" stories that include, "We were doin' about 140 MPH last Saturday night.....blah, blah" but now I'm even more convinced they're BS. :-D

Lynn

My common response to those stories (about how fast the dude went, yada-yada) is to ask if they got the numbers off the speedometer or a GPS.

That usually ends serious discussion and gets it back to 100% BS. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2018, 08:36:26 AM »

Lynn

Usually those 140's and such were not generated from a stop one mile back, they'd been going for a long time to get there. My '64 GTO wouldn't rev beyond 56-5700 in any gear. Gears/tires were 60 at 2500 right on. Number of times the speedo was pointing straight down where there were no numbers and 120 was over by about 330-400 O/C and the tach pegged too. Maybe 135. Flashing lights way back in the mirror occasionally too...…. :roll: :evil:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 04:13:17 PM »

Lynn

Usually those 140's and such were not generated from a stop one mile back, they'd been going for a long time to get there. My '64 GTO wouldn't rev beyond 56-5700 in any gear. Gears/tires were 60 at 2500 right on. Number of times the speedo was pointing straight down where there were no numbers and 120 was over by about 330-400 O/C and the tach pegged too. Maybe 135. Flashing lights way back in the mirror occasionally too...…. :roll: :evil:

I would think the guy with the flashing lights could tell you your actual speed    :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2018, 10:56:42 AM »

Lynn

I would think the guy with the flashing lights could tell you your actual speed    :cheers:

He did not catch us...... :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Red_Kitty

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »
Hi Lake Harley

The ECTA Production "Grand Touring Sport" class specifically lists the Corvette as being eligible (5.E.3 on page 56), along with the Fiero.

Offline lake_harley

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 08:55:02 AM »
Thanks again, everyone for the suggestions. My 'Vette is in "automatic transmission purgatory" right now. I am capable of doing most work on my cars but automatic transmissions is not on the list of things I even have the desire to work on. I guess I'll consider getting the transmission taken care of my first step in prepping for next year.

Apparently I'm not the only one who is suspicious of the high-speed Saturday night runs that get reported. I'm sure it has been done, including jacksoni's report, but I doubt it's as common as the stories.

Lynn

Offline White Monster

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »
My 'Vette is in "automatic transmission purgatory" right now.

:dhorse: