Author Topic: Wheel base  (Read 5636 times)

Offline deep in debt motorsports

Wheel base
« on: October 04, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »
Correct me if I’m wrong,I can’t seem to locate a MAXIMUM wheel base in the rule book for the roadster classes but there is a maximum wheel base in the modified roadster classes,seems backwards?
#327 C/GR

Offline Stan Back

Re: Wheel base
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 09:15:19 PM »
The engine set-backs in G+F+St/R tend to restrict the wheelbases.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 10:26:54 PM »
All depends if you want the engine in front of the grille shell. 29-32 car body/ hood length is 143" and 33-34 is 15? Something and 35-37 is the stock length. Good luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 10:59:27 PM »
Fair disclosure; I have a dog in this fight. Some would say there’s no need for WB restrictions as there’s existing Body length restriction. as well as limits on rear tire overhang. Seems the trend is to place the front axle way out in front of the grill shell; take a brave pill and push it out until someone says too far. As JD said, Good Luck
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline deep in debt motorsports

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 09:58:01 AM »
My point is by not having a max wheel base length rule then the 25% set back is really irrelevant since it is based off of wheel base,so no two roadsters of the same year have to meet the same set back rule because the wheel bases may be different?We can’t afford to cut up what we have and will continue running old school but I think the wheel base stretch has a big advantage!Just stirring the pot of thought :-D
#327 C/GR

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 10:44:22 AM »
My point is by not having a max wheel base length rule then the 25% set back is really irrelevant since it is based off of wheel base,so no two roadsters of the same year have to meet the same set back rule because the wheel bases may be different?We can’t afford to cut up what we have and will continue running old school but I think the wheel base stretch has a big advantage!Just stirring the pot of thought :-D

too bad you missed the new rules cut off point by a month.... Maybe next year.  :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jdincau

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »
     To carry it to extremes;
A street roadster with a 200 inch wheel base and 10% set back means front spark plug is 20" behind front axle. Stock rear wheel location and maximum hood length put entire engine in front of the grille shell.
Similar problem with a 200" G/F roadster, 25% set back is 50", with a maximum body length of 143'/152" put the engine right about in the center of the grille shell.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline DallasV

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 01:23:22 PM »
     To carry it to extremes;
A street roadster with a 200 inch wheel base and 10% set back means front spark plug is 20" behind front axle. Stock rear wheel location and maximum hood length put entire engine in front of the grille shell.
Similar problem with a 200" G/F roadster, 25% set back is 50", with a maximum body length of 143'/152" put the engine right about in the center of the grille shell.

Nicely explained  :cheers:
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 11:17:49 PM »
Sent in rule change form,see what happens next :ear
327,B/GR