Author Topic: Synchronizing Two Motors?  (Read 5329 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Synchronizing Two Motors?
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:25:41 AM »
While at BMST this season a builder brought his twin-engine streamliner to display. It had two bone stock Hayabusa engines connected via a chain drive. The two throttles, clutches, and gear shift mechanisms were also connected into the cockpit and controlled with the typical hand controls. I questioned what he did to synchronize the two engines so they were not fighting each other. He said nothing needs to be done. Is that right? I know that two engines have minutely different engine speed and power output just because of the small differences in the way they act. But intuitively it seems to me like the engine that runs faster at the same throttle setting will be driving the other engine, and thus the power output is not twice the output of one.

What needs to be done to synchronize the engines so they are working together instead of against each other? Anything? Any special drivetrain to connect them like a differential?

Thanks
Don

550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Synchronizing Two Motors?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 08:42:49 AM »
Ask Jim Knapp how he harnessed THREE Suzuki 1,000 cc bike motors to make the Barnyard Bearcat go 300. It's doable.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »
Next time you see a freight train go by, think about what is happening

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »
Don, I would guess you don't get double... but you get close.... it may seem 1 engine is working harder than the other because it is, but they are not fighting each other, they are working together. 
If the crankshafts are solidly attached to each other you may have some synchronizing issue but that is not the case with most multi-engine vehicles.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 11:16:38 AM »
Both engines are 4 cylinder which have smoother power delivery than twins or singles.  Both have some shock absorbing capability in their clutches and this helps isolate each engine from the other.  Both have their own clutch and tranny so the only doubled power is applied at the final drive.  A lot of double engine setups in the past have not had these features and they often were problematic.   

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 12:44:45 PM »
I would do nothing----just let them put out what they can
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 01:01:29 PM »
Running 2 or more engines into a common shaft it almost seems logical to phase them so that the power impulses are evenly spaced/timed to the shaft. Two 4 cyl. would be timed 90 degrees apart  ( fours fire every 180 degrees) and the shaft would then "see" power impulses  spaced the same as a V-8.  And if you really want your head to hurt...The Lycoming V-8 used in the 810/812 Cord fired the entire right bank first, Then the left bank.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline BHR301

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 01:19:03 PM »
Floydjer, in the 60's we tried timing our dragster twins as a V8, and as a V16 and at times just hooked them up as they were when we put the engine in the car...found no difference in performance...we settled on V16 as it sounded to damn good on the strip.  :-)

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 01:40:54 PM »
Next time you see a freight train go by, think about what is happening

Diesel electric locomotion? If I am not mistaken, any engine running in a train is a powerplant for a large generator, and it drives electric traction motors.

Unless, it is a smaller pup locomotive for moving cars around the yard?

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »
Someone call Tommy Ivo and get him to chime in :cheers: But I do wonder what the guys running multi-Harley drag bikes do ?  180 apart or maybe "lead" the front engine a few degrees?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:31:49 PM by SPARKY »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline edjboard

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 02:46:03 PM »
I worked on train engines for 10 years,with multi hookups a large umbilical cord between each engine makes them run together even if cars are there and engine are in the middle or on rear,and locomotive go just as fast in reverse as  forward

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 05:50:37 PM »
About 7 or 8 years ago JimL on this site put together a twin engine bike using Honda 650 vee twins. He built a beautiful adapter plate that utilized gears to connect the engines. The very first time he fired it the connecting gear train self destructed, which was a heart breaker for Jim and all of us that were following the build. He reacted quickly and was able to chain the engines together and run the bike. His build is worth reading especially when he talks about the gear train failure. http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,7416.0.html 

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 08:48:58 PM »
Ack Attack has two turbocharged Hayabusas with two transmissions. And it works well.
John

Offline RichFox

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 09:59:23 PM »
Worked OK for Danny this year Too.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 02:26:04 AM »
  A brief clarification about RichFox's freight train comment. He simply forgot to capitalize. The Freight Train was one of the the greatest two engine dragsters I've ever seen. Probably one of the most winning cars ever built. Two SB Chevys that ran with numerous drivers and different configurations during the 50's, 60's and I think with Hemis in the 70's. Hopefully I'll see it in a few weeks at Hot Rod reunion.