Author Topic: traction and weight door car  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: traction and weight door car
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 12:11:05 AM »
What's this ? A 12 bolt center section or complete rear ended ? Strange makes a 12 bolt center section for the ford 9 inch.

You will find that the Strange 12 bolt center section will not accept a series III carrier which you will need for the gear you will need.
8300 rpm for a mile is doable with Cup state of the art engine hardware but you would be better served running a lower rpm unless you have the $$$ to chase the engine package.
We went 307 MPH @ 7300 RPM with a 12 bolt using a hard to get today 2.13:1 ring & pinion. The car weighed 5200 lbs.
One other thing, your 29.4" tire has about 92" of roll out... sitting still.
Adding verbiage to make the site think its a new post, I hate that...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 12:55:25 AM »
have frontrunners ; 26" (ford 9" 2,47 ratio. 60lbs in tires.
4 link with top bar adjustment.
bob

Alston has a book explaining 4 ling settings, we run a long and low instant  center to reduce shock to tires.

I don't know how many revs you need to get for the record [ info in laptop and dream wheel in shop]

But if a problem, a gearvendor overdrive would help.

JL222 

Offline ulrace

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »
Hey Sparky; trying to understand your 4% more "tractive effort" comment. Are you saying that a taller gear will do that or just the lighter ring and pinion. The salt is new to me and I find a lot of counter intuitive things. Just learning. Also I am thinking a taller tire is better even if takes car out of best rpm range. Power is not the problem for me right now, just traction.  I will make sure I have 1000 lbs more weight in the car next time.
bob