Author Topic: Intercooler question  (Read 17315 times)

Offline rebelce

Re: Intercooler question
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 07:02:39 AM »
There's at least one car where the top portion of the radiator is a charge cooler and the bottom a standard radiator. There's no real ram effect but at least the incoming air is cooled.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 08:35:55 AM »
After poking my thoughts "outside the square" for a while , the possibility of cooling the incoming fuel / air mixture in the intercooler using escaping compressed CO2 to remove heat apperared in my brain,
waddyarecon Huh??

Cryogenic gas sprays on air to air intercoolers are available commercially already. They typically use either CO2 or Nitrous oxide for the chillling agent. CO2 of course being much cheaper.

I've seen dyno tests that claim about 50 hp from this cooling system but they do have some unusual issues to consider.

One is unintended ingestion of the cryogenic gas by the engine intake system. In  the case of CO2 you lose power and give up all your advantage due to the chilling. In the case of nitrous, you can lean out and kill the engine, so care must be exercised regarding where that spent chilling gas is going to go.

Driver won't like it if it ends up in the interior either.

Here are a couple of the commercial systems available --- they are very easy to home build too. The loops are a simple continuous loop of about 3/8 inch aluminum tubing with around 20 - 30 (depending on the size of the loop) .020 inch holes in the inner face of the tube.

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=5
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_23743_-1_12031

Larry

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 06:18:16 AM »
"Cryogenic gas sprays on air to air intercoolers are available commercially already. "

Damn, I was late sharing  "The wheel" idea too, apparantly that was thought of a long while before I thought of it ??
But when you live in the "outback" you get used to slow progress,
     Has Mr Gates updated windows 98 yet?
Are there PC's available that dont need pedal powered dynamos to operate them ?
 Oh yeah, our roads copied our cars, which copied your cars, but lost 25% in the translation, which accounts for their lack of size I guess?
My dog don't like vegemite either, but I wondered , as its become illegal in some USA states, it's popularity will soar (worked for grass didn't it?)
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2006, 12:27:05 AM »
Don't forget the measurement and comparison of your intercooler on a flowbench.

It is very much worthwhile to measure the pressure drop across the intercooler and compare the flow vs the surface area.

There are many many intercoolers that really look nice and don't flow worth beans.

Just measure them just like you would a cylinder head, manifold, throttle body or anything else that you want to check for the resistance to flow air.

Regards,
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 08:51:26 PM »
In our early years when we were running tubos and gasoline, we came up with a total loss inner cooling system that used liquid nitrogen. We had a little dewer bottle made up and a heat exchager. The system worked great, I have a letter of exceptence from the tech commitee. Then we changed our intake system and didn't need it anymore because our intake charge temp was already low. Anyone want to buy it?

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 02:58:55 AM »
ice intercooler... the only way... simple and effective... no other junk too fail. keep it simple.
kent

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 03:00:35 AM »
oh yeh... dont use a cheep waterpump. I use a meziere

Super Kaz

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 05:18:42 AM »
In our early years when we were running tubos and gasoline, we came up with a total loss inner cooling system that used liquid nitrogen. We had a little dewer bottle made up and a heat exchager. The system worked great, I have a letter of exceptence from the tech commitee. Then we changed our intake system and didn't need it anymore because our intake charge temp was already low. Anyone want to buy it?
Ya hit me up with more info,Pics and prices! www.superkazracing.com my private e-mail  address is on there.
Thanks 8-)

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 12:02:08 PM »
Is dry ice available in Bendover?

Rick
Rick

Offline rebelce

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 03:50:29 PM »
Excellant question. Wonder if Smith's has it?  I'll ask first beer run this year.

landracing

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 08:26:05 PM »
Yes Smiths does have dry ice.. They did last year...

Jon

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 08:49:41 AM »
Speaking of Smith's (I didn't realise they have dry ice, but that's cool (pardon the pun)) -- last year they had PLENTY of ice.  They parked a reefer semi trailer out back of the store and it was FULL of ice.  You'd go into the store and ask for ice, pay for it -- and they'd hand you the receipt and send you to the back.  Need two bags?  Need 20 bags? Want a lot?  By the pallet they had it.

Made it easier for many -- you didn't have to raid the ice machine at the motel, and the price wasn't too bad, either.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

dwarner

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 11:48:04 AM »
Same thing happens at the truck stop.

DW

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2007, 03:18:44 PM »
Joe and Jon,what size capacity tanks are you boys running for your intercoolers water supply? Thanks.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

landracing

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 03:41:39 PM »
Honest answer is I really don't know how big it is. I found a spot on the bike that would work and built a tank. Actually my inter-cooler water tank was my fuel tank. And we made a new fuel tank. A couple of gallons. pack with ice and fill with water. Never really measured it for capacity, its whatever I can fit in there. It was there and it works and that's good enough for me.