Author Topic: Woman Bicyclist breaks world record at 183mph at Bonneville, Sept 2018.  (Read 5468 times)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
Re: Woman Bicyclist breaks world record at 183mph at Bonneville, Sept 2018.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 12:42:39 AM »
Denise was tethered to the tow vehicle until a certain mph was reached. Prior to reaching tether release speed, Denise began bringing up pedal cadence to eventually be at full pedal power before going it alone. From this point, she must generate enough power (Watts) to stay in the draft. Now, the flying 200 meter World Record at 48 mph was done with massive watts generated by the rider. These watts are in the 2300 plus instantaneous watts range and maintaining close to that for 200 meters. What would be of great interest is knowing how many watts Denise had to generate to reach and hold 183 mph.

The answer is here

"Once up to speed, she pedaled at more than 700w for a minute in the draft of the specially designed vehicle to set the record."

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a23305843/what-went-into-creating-this-record-breaking-bike/
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 12:51:53 AM »
A video about the a record fairing bike not related to the Bonneville Sept 2018 record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsmpDudEUo0&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:27:36 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 08:35:54 AM »
Holding 700 watts for one minute is quite an accomplishment in and of itself. The kind of training required to get to this point must have been brutal.

John