Author Topic: Woman Bicyclist breaks world record at 183mph at Bonneville, Sept 2018.  (Read 5469 times)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
I know she's not thrust powered, but she is the fastest on a bicycle while riding behind another vehicle to break the wind drag. https://www.bicycling.com/news/a23281242/denise-mueller-korenek-breaks-bicycle-speed-record/

The top speed for a human-powered bicycle without any vehicle assistance is 89.6 mph, set on a recumbent bicycle fully enclosed by a bullet-shaped fairing. For a traditional upright bicycle without any aerodynamic assistance, the closest analogue to Mueller-Korenek's record is probably the 200-meter track time trial, which the current world record holder completed at a speed of about 48 mph.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:01:51 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
That is a great accomplishment because so much could have gone wrong and she could have crashed big time. The dragster that was blocking the air friction was probably also providing rear thrust due to the vortice effect of the wind blocking fairing. So it is not so much as a great bicycling feat as it was precision riding and great engineering of the bicycle and dragster. 

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
ahh she was doing with a lakester what they were using a train to do nearly 150 years ago!  They were riding on planks laid between the rails.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
Being pelted with all the salt being kicked up would be no joke. I've followed a car shooting video that was going 40 out there and even at that paltry speed the salt shower was uncomfortable.

Offline J79

Re: Woman Bicyclist breaks world record at 183mph at Bonneville, Sept 2018.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 05:12:32 PM »
Basic math. If the top speed for a standard bike is 48mph and she went 183mph, she got 135mph increase in speed using drafting and the wind break from the vehicle in front of her. 135mph difference between 48mph and 183mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFTqHbgsKs
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:53:33 PM by J79 »

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline J79

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 05:48:58 PM »
How did Bicyclist and the Driver maintain proper distance? Easy for the Driver to speed up and slow down. Much more difficult for the Bicyclist to speed up and slow down. Did the Driver have a knob which he turned to dial in his exact speed or did he use a standard gas pedal?

Offline J79

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 06:13:44 PM »
Was the device that she was riding behind designed to have a pulling effect or was is just designed to break the wind and the vortice were the effects?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 06:18:32 PM »
It looks almost exactly like what they built on the back of a train car-- but if I remember correctly the train ha some escape grab handles so they could "bail off"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline J79

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 07:45:19 PM »
Denise was tethered to the tow vehicle until a certain mph was reached. Prior to reaching tether release speed, Denise began bringing up pedal cadence to eventually be at full pedal power before going it alone. From this point, she must generate enough power (Watts) to stay in the draft. Now, the flying 200 meter World Record at 48 mph was done with massive watts generated by the rider. These watts are in the 2300 plus instantaneous watts range and maintaining close to that for 200 meters. What would be of great interest is knowing how many watts Denise had to generate to reach and hold 183 mph.

Also, there was likely a roller (out of video sight) that she could bump without putting her off the bike. This roller is common practice when motor pacing behind a track derny (motorcycle).

I take nothing away from this remarkable and amazing accomplishment. It required high levels of skill and courage.

John
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:55:59 PM by ggl205 »

Offline J79

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
Would she have waited until the hottest part of the day for thinner air to ride or does it not make a difference on a bicycle whether it's hot or cold?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:50:45 PM by J79 »

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »
Would she have waited until the hottest part of the day to ride or does it not make a difference on a bicycle whether it's hot or cold?

My guess is Denise would opt to make this run in the coolest part of the day. She is in full leathers and helmet, pedaling at maximum effort, with little to no air flow and in a vacuum. That had to be very uncomfortable. The upside for anyone looking to beat this record is that body size is likely not going to be an issue as it would in open air. So, if a beast like Great Britten's Chris Hoy in his prime, would give up nothing aerodynamically to a much smaller Denise.

I think it goes somewhat unnoticed that it was a female driver in the tow vehicle.

John
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:33:04 PM by ggl205 »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 10:02:04 PM »
A couple of the previous contenders...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline J79

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 12:08:06 AM »
Here is the video from her youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPEgG-T3zMI

Offline J79