Author Topic: Congratulations Team Vesco??  (Read 5435 times)

Offline 4bangerbob

• New folks
Congratulations Team Vesco??
« on: September 18, 2018, 02:20:22 AM »
Reading through the USRA results  Team Vesco  runs  482.16999 on Sept. 14th and   483.12369 on Sept. 15th for average 482.646 on the two runs (noted that on both runs slowing through the exit!).

Not being there unsure if the return run was run within the correct time frame, thus the question, is this new wheel driven record?

Either way great results 

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: Congratulations Team Vesco??
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 04:21:12 AM »
It is.

Also reported that they were trying to up it again, but something went wrong.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 05:27:11 AM »
Reading through the USRA results  Team Vesco  runs  482.16999 on Sept. 14th and   483.12369 on Sept. 15th for average 482.646 on the two runs (noted that on both runs slowing through the exit!).

Not being there unsure if the return run was run within the correct time frame, thus the question, is this new wheel driven record?

Either way great results  

The (one hour) time limit only applies to official FIA records.   There is no "official" record for "wheel-driven cars".  In this case, the record is actually for the (SCTA/BNI & USFRA) T-3 class at Bonneville.  Coincidentally, it just happens to be the fastest record for cars that are wheel-driven.

There won't be any FIA records set at Bonneville this year, as the 2018 FIA/FIM-sanctioned Shootout has been cancelled.

Jeff in Boise.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:56:00 AM by trimmers »
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline 4bangerbob

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »
absolutely wonderful

thanks guys for the confirmation.

It has been a great year on the salt, good to see Nish getting close to 400 as well.

World of speed could be another good meet if track condition hold.

Look forward to seeing a recap on the records set at the USRA meet, hopefully they will post on their website.   https://saltflats.com/

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:48:09 PM »
The real reason for no FIA attempts this year or for the forseeable future is not for lack of interest.  It is because the salt will not support it. Running toward floating mountain has proven able to provide the speeds necessary for half of a record attempt. But the salt on the far end is so thin it cannot provide the traction necessary for a decent return run.
Until the pumping project really moves forward with positive salt lay down, we won't see any high speed FIA records set at Bonneville.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 09:07:58 PM »
...Until the pumping project really moves forward with positive salt lay down, we won't see any high speed FIA records set at Bonneville.

Well said  :cheers: and hope that happens,

Sumner

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 11:47:38 AM »
Thanks Monte
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »
It is.

Also reported that they were trying to up it again, but something went wrong.

I heard that they upped the compressor stage pressure for more horsepower but it shredded the tires in the first quarter mile. 500 mph at World Finals?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline doug

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
Vesco's posted the record run on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/-uNRHo7XH6c

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 09:37:29 PM »
Still pulling positive G's at 492.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 11:47:42 PM »
Unbelievable two runs  :cheers: :cheers:, congrats to the whole team.  I doubted that I'd ever see a wheel driven 500 mph run in 5 miles in my lifetime.  Now I might  :-).

Sumner

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 05:21:10 PM »
The real reason for no FIA attempts this year or for the forseeable future is not for lack of interest.  It is because the salt will not support it. Running toward floating mountain has proven able to provide the speeds necessary for half of a record attempt. But the salt on the far end is so thin it cannot provide the traction necessary for a decent return run.
Until the pumping project really moves forward with positive salt lay down, we won't see any high speed FIA records set at Bonneville.

For those of you who don't get to the far end of the track,  here is what it looks like. You can see, no traction available on this surface. This was taken during track prep for WOS.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 08:08:08 PM »
Duke and I were in line before the Vesco's last run and I talked to them and told them that I was sure that everyone in line would gladly mover over so that they could start at least 1/4 mile behind the official starting line, which looking at the way that car was still pulling at 490 would surly have been a 500+ run. They said that they had already discussed this with the USFRA and they were not able to allow this, maybe an insurance restraint. Vesco said that they could actually start 1 1/4 miles farther back, that would be a 500+ for sure! What great people and team!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
We tried to accommodate Rick in his request.  We just couldn't come up with what we felt would be a failsafe way to accomplish
it.  Our compromise was to move the entire track closer to the freeway to give them and everyone else the best salt possible.