Author Topic: motorcycle helmet question  (Read 5514 times)

Offline panchop

motorcycle helmet question
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:42:42 AM »
I would like to buy a new helmet. I know snell 2000 is good but there are a lot of excellent  helmets that are tested to BSI or ECE 22-05 standard. These seem to be acceptable to DLRA but are they cool with SCTA ?

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 02:37:37 AM »
A friend in England is coming to Bonneville this year and he asked the same question.  I believe the answer is that the Snell foundation standards are the only acceptable standards for the SCTA.  E-mail Russ O'Daly for an answer.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline hawkwind

Re: motorcycle helmet question
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 03:44:28 AM »
Quote from: panchop
I would like to buy a new helmet. I know snell 2000 is good but there are a lot of excellent  helmets that are tested to BSI or ECE 22-05 standard. These seem to be acceptable to DLRA but are they cool with SCTA ?

After much dicussion and research on whether any other helmet  standards were worthy of concideration , verdict, snell was not the only game in town , some disagreed , more agreed ,common sense and sound reasoning as well as good science won the day ,the DLRA  motorcycle blokes now have a choice between a snell or other excellent helmet standards  :wink:
Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
IF IT AIN'T INVENTED HERE
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:21:46 PM »
Snell is just one of the testing laboratories that produce excellent standards.
A look at the requirements for FIA and FIM will list a number of others
that have equal standards.
Just in the US, SFI has a published standard.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 02:23:38 PM »
another massive load of crock.

SNELL hasnt done any legitimate testing in years. they developed their standards based on soft science and only require a "gentlemans agreement" with helmet manufacturers that they are building based on SNELL standards. not sure what those boys are doing at SNELL these days. well, other than selling stickers to manufacturers who inturn jack up prices based on soft science.

there is a great article I am sure most of you have read that was in Motorcyclist Magazine a year or two ago that outlined some of the flaws of DOT and SNELL standards as seen by reputable engineers of the field.

Me, I wear an Arai who actually does independant testing of their products (windtunnel and crash and impact safety) by a blinded third party. So do some of the large italian helmet manufacturers.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
THE SHOUT FROM UNDER THE ROCK
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 02:48:31 PM »
When you profess to be going back to your imagined roots the view
from under your rock is quite limited.
A good place to start your recovery would be to check around.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 03:34:18 PM »
There are many standards out there.  I was led to believe we were talking about the standard that the SCTA accepts.  As to jacked up prices bbb you seem to defeat yourself by saying you wear an Arai.  One of the most expensive brands out there.

Offline panchop

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 06:53:43 PM »
Quote from: Nortonist 592
There are many standards out there.  I was led to believe we were talking about the standard that the SCTA accepts.  As to jacked up prices bbb you seem to defeat yourself by saying you wear an Arai.  One of the most expensive brands out there.

actually thats what i was asking. I like shrk helmets but they are not snell. Guess I'll just get another shoei

Offline tomsmith

Arai, etc
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 08:23:44 PM »
I use Arai too.  The reason is that they fit my head instead of squeezing my cheek bones and temples and giving me a headache like most others.  It all depends on your head shape.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 09:39:27 PM »
I have nothing against Arai helmets.  I just can't afford the price tag.

Offline bbb

• JorNic Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 11:18:45 PM »
I bought what was PROVEN through independent research as being the safest and most protective. it just happen to be expensive too.

the tie to SNELL is that the SNELL "tested" and stickered helmets sell for 30-400% more than the non SNELL stickered helmets. If an HJC ($100-175) would have fit me, I would have bought it. but the Arai ($550) fit my charlie brown'esque head much better. bastards in R&D need to make better charlie and Linus helmets.

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 12:39:22 AM »
I have and still use AGV for many years now , great quality ,safety and price , All I can suggest is caevate emptor ,research and check ,dont just believe the sales BS after all its your head  :D
Gary
slower than most

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
sewer caps
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 06:42:10 AM »
LONG TIME LISTENER FIRST TIME CALLER ON THIS TOPIC . . . . . I've got a fat head and for the road I just bought a Shark carbon helmet because I have a crap disc in my neck that doesn't help holding all that weight up HOWEVER when it comes to fit I didn't have a huge number of options ( cost is no object coz I buy at wholesale)as most helmets sat on my chin............despite the plain logic of the aforementioned article about the shortfalls of the Snell tests there is a gaping anomaly regarding fit.......test dummies and test heads are one thing but it should have a higher reliance on actual crash data because "provided data" from a manufacturer is worthless , and frankly Snell testing is on the nose .Their data is spot on if your head is made from fiberglass in the exact dimensions that they designed the helmet for.Most of the arguing about this topic in the past has missed the basic point of specifics regarding cost and the inability of volume manufacturing to accommodate the infinite variety of head shapes.It will never be perfect , and neither will Snell, but a secret handshake always beats an outsider who is right.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline bbb

• JorNic Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 08:51:23 AM »
It will never be perfect , and neither will Snell, but a secret handshake always beats an outsider who is right.

amen. thats why I provide clinical consultation to pharmaceutical companies, not helmet manufacturers. I have issues with those who dont wash their hands.

Offline panchop

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 10:04:49 AM »
this is all good stuff but let me rephrase the question.  If I show up at bonniville wearing a helmet that is ECE 22-05  but not snell approved will the let me run.