Author Topic: Clearance between helmet and cage in a lakester  (Read 3791 times)

Offline TWKundrat

• New folks
Clearance between helmet and cage in a lakester
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:23:21 PM »
I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the amount of space between the helmet and cage on a lakester. I see that the rules require 2" per side or less space for lateral movement of the helmet. As far as being able to bail out quickly is it better to Max out that 2", or is less room better in the event of a crash? Also, it sounds like the roll bar padding is pretty rigid so you shouldn't have to account for too much deflection in that department, right? I've never worn a hans before so I don't know how much that would add to the difficulty of bailing quickly from a tighter cage. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

-Tim

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Clearance between helmet and cage in a lakester
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 04:37:45 PM »
PUT on EVERYTHING when determining clearances---every car is different---because the seating position can be so different---

I built my car with a really deep cage (semi-reclining) frt to back because I am trying to protect my arms.   I have to be able to drop my head by scooting forward---hard for me easier for others.  I am a minimalist clearance guy---someone can slide  fingers between my helmet and padding.   I have a 9 point harness which really locks one down way better than the 7 point. 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 04:45:04 PM »
I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the amount of space between the helmet and cage on a lakester. I see that the rules require 2" per side or less space for lateral movement of the helmet. As far as being able to bail out quickly is it better to Max out that 2", or is less room better in the event of a crash? Also, it sounds like the roll bar padding is pretty rigid so you shouldn't have to account for too much deflection in that department, right? I've never worn a hans before so I don't know how much that would add to the difficulty of bailing quickly from a tighter cage. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

-Tim

If you can't keep your head off the padding you may experience "head shake" or grey out" where vibration from the chassis is transferred to your helmet, your eyeballs vibrate and you can't see ANYTHING. It's not like driving in fog it's like when your scuba mask fills with cloudy water, you can barely even discern light and dark, so, not tooooo tight.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline TWKundrat

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 12:15:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies. All good things to think about. Sparky, I'll have to give you a call one of these days when I'm not at work. You gave me your number a long time ago when I posted a different question on here. I tried calling at the time, but I never left a message. It would be good to get to know some of the other AZ guys playing around with lakesters.

-Tim

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 12:36:42 PM »
Al Eshenbaugh runs a rear eng dragster style up here!! be happy to take you out and introduce you. 

Dr G is spot on about "buzzing your eyeballs"-- you have to be able to hold you head clear of all padding underway!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 01:44:33 AM »
When building a customer car, we add a 1/2 thick lighter foam ( less density ) foam on the top level, over the required foam padding. This eliminates the blurred vision. Contact us for the specs.

Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com