Landracing Forum Home
November 16, 2018, 02:11:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Craig Breedlove and "Spirit of America," 1962 -- rare images and audio  (Read 579 times)
Sam Hawley
New folks

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2018, 12:58:58 PM »

Hey guys, I've just uploaded a new video to Youtube on Craig Breedlove and "Spirit of America" in 1962. This one took a lot of work. I made it using never-before-seen photos of Craig's first visit to Bonneville (from a treasure trove of contact prints of film rolls shot by Tom Carroll) combined with never-before-heard audio recorded by writer Jack Olsen at Wendover and on the salt in 1965. Hopefully it creates a you-are-there immersive feel. I hope you like it!
manta22

What, me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 01:51:20 PM »

Sam, that is a very well done video. Thank you for creating it and posting it on-line.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Milwaukee Midget
Global Moderator

Former Bonneville I/GT record holder - 122.539 mph

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 02:19:47 PM »

Ken Burns couldn't have done it any better.  cheers

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  rolleyes

We are NOT rebuilding . . . We are reloading.

GOD SAVE MG - The Queen can take care of herself!
Sam Hawley
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 03:54:09 PM »

Thanks, guys! I will post a bunch of these images and more on my land speed website.
TAKERRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 04:36:19 PM »

Met Craig at SEMA show. He was sitting by his self with his latest 3 wheel jet car. Had a nice conversation and gave me his autograph. I asked him if he was going to be the driver and he answered sure why not

No trailer ran 135mph at the World of Speed 2011 see you in 2012 in Ohio and back at Bonneville at the world of speed going for the 150club 1979 Firebird T/A White Black Hood. Ck out YOU TUBE. KERRY AT BONNEVILLE. Didn't  make 2012,2013,2014. ECTA in Ohio 2012 trans went out and 2013 fuel problems . Still trans and fuel problems. Finally all looks good. Ready to drive (no trailer) 1500 miles to Bonneville and It's cancelled. NEXT YEAR. SEPT. ECTA RAN 144 MPH. GETTING BETTER
velocity

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:21:54 PM »

Sam

Have you sent a link to Lee (Breedlove) Frank? Those shots of here and Nye will make her cry. . . with lost joy.

For that matter, has Cragi seen this? He has to be told to go find stuff on line; he's not a cyber surfer. LOL

LandSpeed Louise
Model A coupe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 11:29:09 PM »

Sam,I bought your book SPEED DUEL and was (am still am) amazed at the amount of research.
I reread it often. GOOD JOB!!!
Sam Hawley
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 11:33:15 AM »

Thanks, everyone. The video represents only a fraction of the photos from the Tom Carroll contact prints. All together there are hundreds. I'm starting to make a few new pages to add to my LSR website.

If you liked my previous land speed book "Speed Duel," you may be interested in the sequel of sorts that I have coming out: "Ultimate Speed: The Fast Life and Extreme Cars of Racing Legend Craig Breedlove" (Chicago Review Press, coming Oct. 2, 2018). This is Craig's authorized biography, based on many, many hours of interviews I conducted with him and others. The Tom Carroll contact prints were something I dug up (they're in Bob Davids' possession) during the course of my research.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Speed-Extreme-Racing-Breedlove/dp/1641600209
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: