Author Topic: World of Speed 2018 entries  (Read 45795 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: World of Speed 2018 entries
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2018, 10:52:37 PM »
What a year!!!!---and the Fat Lady hasw not sung her song yet

Forecast is warm and dry heading into the first week of October.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2018, 01:46:50 PM »
Congratulations Team Vesco on the record and fantastic speeds you attained especially in the 2 1/4.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Sorry to hear about Flashpoint crashing. Glad to see Bob is OK. Wish the tire would have stayed up to get the record. Here is to hoping the chassis and motor are not hurt to bad, and that you will be back.

Congratulations to all of the other racers who set records at WOS.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2018, 03:17:09 PM »
The Flashpoint car was next to us in the pits and I had the opportunity to check it over after its crash. The chassis is built especially strong and did not appear to have any sever structural damage, obviously it will need a tear down and inspection but it "looked" straight. Lots of brackets and minor parts where destroyed including both of the wings and their supports. All of the body panels are junk. Bob had what appeared to be a helmet induced bruise above his eyes and I will bet he was sore! I was really impressed on his qualifying run, 451 out the back that thing really has some motor! So glad to see him walk away from the crash, a comment to their design and fabrication ability and to the SCTA safety rules.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »
glad to read your assessment of Flash Point---there may be a reason why Speed Demon uses so many tires  soerta like "1 Run"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2018, 10:44:04 PM »
  I wonder if they might have had a little bit too much downforce on the rear tires.  How did the other rear tire look?  I know the technology exists to measure the downforce in real time but I don't imagine that it is cheap (think Formula 1).  I wonder if anyone looked at the tire tracks just before the accident scene to examine the tire plant?
  Anyway, it was a beautiful car, looked great, sounded awesome and I hope they can fix-er-up!                         
                                                                               Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2018, 11:47:08 PM »
From what I could see,  the other tire was peeled off the rim from going sideways. It was heavily damaged. There were many photos taken of the track and tire marks from the point of the blowout to where the car came to rest.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
  I wonder if they might have had a little bit too much downforce on the rear tires.  How did the other rear tire look?  I know the technology exists to measure the downforce in real time but I don't imagine that it is cheap (think Formula 1).  I wonder if anyone looked at the tire tracks just before the accident scene to examine the tire plant?
  Anyway, it was a beautiful car, looked great, sounded awesome and I hope they can fix-er-up!                         
                                                                               Bob Drury

A couple of notes about your question Bob. First, the tire failure was do to a panel coming loose and rubbing the tire until it deflated. Yes, they do monitor wing load during the run. As a side note, the wing load changes during the run. At the point of tire failure there was virtually no load from the wing being applied to the car.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2018, 11:46:29 AM »
Thanks for the update Mike
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2018, 01:13:59 AM »
I was asked by Dennis Sullivan, President of USFRA, to pass along this note.

The USFRA would like to apologize to the racers that ran on the long
course and used the exit clocks for tuning at the 2018 World of Speed.
When we moved the course one mile closer to the freeway, with approval
of BNI chairman Bill Lattin, the 132 foot exit clock was misplaced at
138 feet. After being discovered, it was corrected.
All of the other mile clocks were placed on the SCTA survey pins
that were used at Speed Week. As records are established from speeds set using the
mile clocks, all the records set at the 2018 World of Speed are
accurate and certified.  We would also like to thank all of the racers that attended
this year’s World of Speed and hope to see you next year.

Dennis Sullivan
President USFRA

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2018, 12:07:02 PM »
Monte,
Is that why the run logs from Sunday and Monday are not yet posted?

Offline racergeo

« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2018, 12:12:48 PM »
  Dennis, I'm wearing out my mouse trying to see the results of the last two days. On another subject, I made the case for low drag Top Alcohol Dragster type wings on high HP cars in order to gain needed traction. Flash Point car would own Tom Burkland's record but for bad luck. One engine and rear wheel drive. Hope they can rebuild.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2018, 01:22:42 PM »
 Dennis, I'm wearing out my mouse trying to see the results of the last two days. On another subject, I made the case for low drag Top Alcohol Dragster type wings on high HP cars in order to gain needed traction. Flash Point car would own Tom Burkland's record but for bad luck. One engine and rear wheel drive. Hope they can rebuild.

Actually, Burkland's record is in AA/BFS, while Flashpoint was running A/BFS on Speed Demon's 423MPH record.

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2018, 01:42:44 PM »
  Thank's Monte and Mike L. 
  It is rare that any race official's comment or reply to questions like I asked.  THIS IS WHAT MAKES THIS SITE SO DARNED INVALUABLE TO US RACERS!
  If I hit the lottery I am going to send Slim enough money to buy a professional audio/visual mobile studio to take to the salt... maybe one of those 2 million dollar custom motor coaches with the studio in a matching trailer.
  Hopefully Bob Dalton can pick up some "big time" sponsorship and continue His quest.
                                                                      "One Run Bob" Drury, out..........................................
Bob Drury

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »
Monte,
Is that why the run logs from Sunday and Monday are not yet posted?

No, it's just that we have been busy putting everything away and getting home cleaning up, etc, etc. I am working with the others to get it posted. Too much to do, not enough (young) people to get it done.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
  O.K. then make the engine 501 c.i. and own AA record also.  LOL