Author Topic: Donald Campbells restoration/running of "Bluebird" Turbine Boat Youtube Video.  (Read 2431 times)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
Published on Aug 26, 2018. First time in water and running since the restoration with some great video shots. I know this is a boat and does not qualify for Land Racing, but it's similar.

"Recovery of Bluebird K7 and the body of Donald Campbell

The wreckage of Campbell's craft was recovered by the Bluebird Project between October 2000, when the first sections were raised, and May 2001, when Campbell's body was recovered. The largest section comprising approximately two thirds of the centre hull was raised on 8 March 2001. The project began when diver Bill Smith was inspired to look for the wreck after hearing the Marillion song "Out of this World" (from the album Afraid of Sunlight), which was written about Campbell and Bluebird.

The recovered wreck revealed that the water brake had deployed after the accident as a result of stored accumulator pressure; Campbell would not have had time to deploy the relatively slow-moving brake as the boat flipped out of control. The boat still contained fuel in the engine fuel lines, discounting the fuel-starvation theory. The wreckage all evidenced an impact from left to right, wiping the whole front of the boat off in that direction. Campbell's lower harness mounts had failed and were found to be effectively useless. Further dives recovered various parts of K7, which had separated from the main hull when it broke up on impact.

Restoration

On Thursday 7 December 2006, Gina Campbell, Campbell's daughter, gave Bluebird K7 to the Ruskin Museum in Coniston on behalf of the Campbell Family Heritage Trust. In agreement with the Campbell Family Heritage Trust and the museum, Bill Smith is to organise the restoration of the boat. The intention is to rebuild K7 back to running order circa 4 January 1967.

By May 2009, permission had been received for a one off set of proving trials of Bluebird on Coniston Water, where she will be tested to a safe speed for demonstration purposes only. There was no fixed date for completion of Bluebird K7 or the trials. K7 will be housed in her own purpose-built wing at the Ruskin Museum in Coniston, while remaining in the care of the Bluebird Project.

On 3 August 2018, it was reported that the restoration had been completed and that Bluebird K7 was being transported to the Isle of Bute in Scotland for low-speed water trials. The restored boat has been completing return legs successfully at Loch Fad on the island K7 was exhibited at the Bute Highland games on 11 August 2011 and participated in the masses pipe band procession through the town of Rothesay."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Campbell

Google Map of Coniston Water in the United Kingdom: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Coniston+Water/@54.3336166,-3.079349,12z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487cbec200cf5b0d:0x487cbcc4ed39e015!8m2!3d54.343243!4d-3.0716266?hl=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2oVSlfmrvI
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:37:18 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline J79

50 minute documentary on locating and raising the wrecked Bluebird and Donald Campbells body:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS9bdXR4yfs
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:48:57 PM by J79 »

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline J79

Offline J79

Restored Bluebird running over the lake video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5iNQu4B6IQ
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:06:32 AM by J79 »

Offline J79

15 minute video on the history of Bluebird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRR1PsKu4M