Author Topic: Best salt I've seen in 12 years  (Read 11084 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Best salt ever!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 08:46:53 AM »
Well if your definition of "Ever" is, "In my memory." Or "Since I personalty, have been running there." As opposed to "For ever", then the statement is correct.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 02:37:15 PM »

The heck of it is that if misleading statements regarding the true condition of the salt become the norm, any effort any of us make to apply pressure on the BLM will only make us look whiney or schizophrenic.

Exactly. And not only us but everyone trying to help us ensure that we have a racing surface to run on.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 03:00:22 PM »

Dose the BLM and general public follow this site, huh,,

Not sure how you are going to hide the fact that's out there in the media that a record number of cars went 400mph plus, and there was a bunch that went high 300's  :roll: :-D,,

Since this is the largest ( to my knowledge ) LSR site with a forum. There is not a better place than this site for the BLM or the Mining Company for that matter to monitor. Pretty easy to get quotes off of here to undermine STS. Yes, the general public does follow this site, go to the bottom of the forum home page and you can see how many members are logged in and how many guests are looking at the forum.

Not trying to hide anything, just don't agree with best salt ever. Might be better to say something like, Mother nature was good to us this year and gave us a smoother course than last year, but the crust is still extremely thin and will need years to heal to get back it's thickness. JMO

Tom G. 
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline nrhs sales

Re: Best salt ever! (in the 12 years I have been going)
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »
I have changed it to satisfy the complainers but if you read my full post you would have seen that I specifically stated that it is the best salt I have ever seen in the 12 years I have been going so lets all stop being so dramatic.  Seems like a lot of you just have to find something to complain about lately.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
Re: Best salt ever! (in the 12 years I have been going)
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 05:26:42 PM »
I have changed it to satisfy the complainers but if you read my full post you would have seen that I specifically stated that it is the best salt I have ever seen in the 12 years I have been going so lets all stop being so dramatic.  Seems like a lot of you just have to find something to complain about lately.

x2  :-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Best salt I've seen in 12 years
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 06:36:44 PM »
 :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 06:41:44 PM »
nrhs sales,
  I regret that this is the best conditions you have experienced.
Thank you for making your point clear.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
From Facebook:

SHOOTOUT UPDATE:
Please be advised that the 2018 Bonneville Shootout has been cancelled due to lack of entries

I don't understand this.
Bad salt, everybody cries.
Good salt, nobody enters.

I think that says it all.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 12:17:31 PM »
Well,, I don't know the answer, but I do suspect a couple factors. . .

A lot higher entry fee than a "standard" meet.
A few of the "400" machines had mechanical problems that may not be fixed yet.

The SCTA can and has lost money on hot summer and wet winter meets.  They've factored expenses of a cancelled meet into their entry fees.  A private party can't operate like that.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
  Salesman, First of all I don't think stating fact's can be equated with complaining.  Most of the users of this site are fully aware of the fragility of "our" beloved Salt Flats and also of the perception of what is or is not reported accurately to the "outside" World.
  No one is disparaging Your view point... it was in fact a great year on the salt keeping in mind how lucky We all were that the same drought that is killing grasses and trees
across the Western States allowed for results beyond all of our greatest expectations.
  Secondly, take a deep breath.  The Mike Cook Shootout has Always been a PRIVATE meet put on for a FEW racers who pay several thousand dollars to race with little or no influx of spectator's.  Mike Cook works His ass off to organize this event and has to make ends meet.  No one has ever accused Mike of overcharging nor should they.
  The crux of the matter is that most of the vehicles that normally race this event are not turn around ready in a Month's time.  Even the deep pocket teams need time to prepare and Mike Cook cannot afford to take a chance on "last minute" guaranties of Racer attendance.  He is just another Racer living His Dream.
  Let's all just relax, kick back and prepare for the World of Speed and hopefully the World Final's.
                                                                           "One Run" Bob Drury

Bob Drury

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 10:23:52 PM »
Folks are making an effort to reduce salt deterioration.  Maybe this is paying dividends.  A year of good salt like this may encourage them to keep up the good work.

It was as smooth and hard as any salt I have seen since 2007.  It was alarmingly thin in places.  Certainly, the efforts in place to restore it should continue. 

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2018, 12:43:57 PM »
Folks are making an effort to reduce salt deterioration.  Maybe this is paying dividends.  A year of good salt like this may encourage them to keep up the good work.

It was as smooth and hard as any salt I have seen since 2007.  It was alarmingly thin in places.  Certainly, the efforts in place to restore it should continue. 

I agree with that 100%.  Why anyone is trying to say me stating the salt was great this year was somehow a negative is just baffling?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
You didn't qualify it---

The salt was very smooth and hard; and it held up well for how thin it was. Salt was so hard there were no salt rooster tails behind the faster cars---very unusual for mother nature to have the moisture amounts and timing she did this year.   

The odds of repeatability from year to year with out massive amounts of restorative salt being laid down are as thin as the salt was, very thin indeed!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
Not saying it's negative but from Slims picture from the 6, if you can see MUD on the track in my opinion it ain't great. It's a far cry from back around the mid eighty's (which isn't that long ago) when impound was at the eleven on salt and Al, Nolan and Cook's Thunderbird were starting at the -3 mile marker on the international course late in the day. Today I don't think you could even get to the -3 north of the dike towards the truckstop without a mud cat.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 04:21:29 PM »
You didn't qualify it---

The salt was very smooth and hard; and it held up well for how thin it was. Salt was so hard there were no salt rooster tails behind the faster cars---very unusual for mother nature to have the moisture amounts and timing she did this year.   

The odds of repeatability from year to year with out massive amounts of restorative salt being laid down are as thin as the salt was, very thin indeed!

:cheers: :cheers:

Sumner