Author Topic: Romeo Palamides “Untouchable” and “Scorpion” jet dragsters for sale!  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Sam Hawley

• New folks
Hey guys. I’ve just been contacted by Dennis Birdwell of Reno, Nevada. He inherited two jet dragsters from his older brother Jack, who worked with Romeo Palamides back in the day. They are the “Untouchable” dragster, equipped with a J-47 jet engine (photo attached), and the “Scorpion” dragster, equipped with a J-35 jet engine. They have been sitting in a shipping container out in Reno for what Dennis figures is about 30 years.

Anyway, Dennis is in his 70s now and is thinking about selling these two historic dragsters. He didn't know how to proceed so he reached out to me (knew my name from my book Speed Duel). I said I’d pass on the word, hence this post. If you’re interested, you can contact Dennis by email at DBirdwell1[at]aol.com, or on his cell phone at 775-691-1943.

Can't figure out how to post a photo. You can check out Dennis's photo of "Untouchable" here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/romeo-palamides-%E2%80%9Cuntouchable%E2%80%9D-and-%E2%80%9Cscorpion%E2%80%9D-jet-dragsters-4-sale.1120347/

Samuel Hawley
author of Speed Duel: The Inside Story of the Land Speed Record in the Sixties (2010) and Ultimate Speed: The Fast Life and Extreme Cars of Racing Legend Craig Breedlove (forthcoming in October)

Offline ronnieroadster

Well that looks like one scary ride where the driver sits sure sucks I bet. The chute location is interesting.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Sam,

here the picture you tried to attach
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline revolutionary

Looks safe  :-D
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline kiwi belly tank

velocity

Untouchable was a fine car to race against, specially with Roger Gustin at the controls. I had wondered where that car disappeared to and now we know, in solitary desert confinement.