Author Topic: Motorcycle class question  (Read 1833 times)

Offline bluelou

• New folks
Motorcycle class question
« on: August 30, 2018, 02:58:20 PM »
I am thinking about getting a motorcycle built for Bonneville speedweek. I am trying to gleen from the rule book what class I can enter. I am taking a Buell and putting it in an aftermarket hardtail frame. Would this be M-PG, A-PG, P-PG? The wording in the rulebook states that the frame and motor must be from the same manufacturer. I have seen many hardtail frame motorcycles at speedweek and I know of no motor manufacturer that is putting out a hardtail frame.
Any help appreciated!

Offline MRK

Re: Motorcycle class question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 04:23:06 PM »
I suggest you contact someone within the SCTA for your answer.
Check on page 200 of the current rule book. Russ O'Daly, Scott Mattern or Van Butler will give you direction.
Cheers
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »
BL, I'll make the standard disclaimer that Mike has sorta implied:  If you want an "official" answer to a question you need to contact the appropriate dude in SCTA/BNI.  Asking here will often get you the right answer, too, but it ain't guaranteed and might well be loaded with extra baggage, if ya know what I mean.

You'll almost certainly get the stuff you need to know here -- but if you want the ironclad info you'll need to ask the SCTA/BNI.  By the way, don't be afraid to ask.  They'll help out, for sure.  And when they do -- always consider printing a copy of their response and sticking it in your logbook in case you need to refer to it later.

Once again it's time for me to say, in re:  "...in case you need to refer to it later...":

Don't ask me how I know.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 07:26:27 PM »
I am thinking about getting a motorcycle built for Bonneville speedweek. I am trying to gleen from the rule book what class I can enter. I am taking a Buell and putting it in an aftermarket hardtail frame. Would this be M-PG, A-PG, P-PG? The wording in the rulebook states that the frame and motor must be from the same manufacturer. I have seen many hardtail frame motorcycles at speedweek and I know of no motor manufacturer that is putting out a hardtail frame.
Any help appreciated!

Buell motor in an aftermarket frame. That would never be legal for any M class or P class.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 12:29:20 AM »
M... you can modify a certain amount of the stock frame and still stay in M ..., see rulebook, thus that is why you see hardtails in M.

A... Unfortunately just putting a motor in an aftermarket frame does not automatically put you in A... See rulebook

Hey, if it was easy, everyone would be racing  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 04:26:15 PM »
Also - the unasked question is why would you want to use a hardtail frame? This is racing, not showtime. You want the tire to stay ON the ground, not bouncing on every tiny divot, groove, mound, etc. Even though the surface looks smooth, it is NOT.

Don.
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 04:59:41 PM »
It would be A class, P (pushrod), and G for gas or F for fuel.  M class has to be motor and frame from same manufacturer.  SCTA say 7.F "An OEM frame must be used."
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!