Author Topic: World Finals 2018, entry, tech dates, schedule etc...  (Read 32408 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: World Finals 2018, entry, tech dates, schedule etc...
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2018, 11:58:05 AM »
Billy,  NO, NO, NO,--a very bad idea IMO---very, very, unfair to all  of the rest of the racers, including those that weren't even at the meet---Mother Nature is a huge part of what makes B'Ville -B'ville and will continue to be
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »
NHRS  likewise---they all deserve a Peg Leg Trophy = qualified didn't back it up for a record!!
Lots of us have those
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »
With hindsight always being 20/20, and with a major storm on the door step , did anyone ever consider closing the course early to qualifiers  and run off the Impound cars on late Tuesday  afternoon ?  Was there a lesson learned here ?
Billy,  NO, NO, NO,--a very bad idea IMO---very, very, unfair to all  of the rest of the racers, including those that weren't even at the meet---Mother Nature is a huge part of what makes B'Ville -B'ville and will continue to be

I'm torn on this one.

I understand Sparky's POV, but to Billy's point, I also understand that at WOS, they DID do backups in the afternoon, and those records set will be accepted as BNI records.

One of the downsides is that you might not be able to get all of your prep done in time if you ran late in the morning.

With a turn-out of only about 90 entries, provided everybody had a chance to make an attempt, and if it was clear that the opportunity to back up your run was in jeopardy, my thought would be that fairness would fall to those who paid their entry, made the trip, made qualifying runs, and are sitting in what must be as close to LSR purgatory as one could imagine.  

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline DallasV

« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2018, 12:42:00 PM »
With hindsight always being 20/20, and with a major storm on the door step , did anyone ever consider closing the course early to qualifiers  and run off the Impound cars on late Tuesday  afternoon ?  Was there a lesson learned here ?
Billy,  NO, NO, NO,--a very bad idea IMO---very, very, unfair to all  of the rest of the racers, including those that weren't even at the meet---Mother Nature is a huge part of what makes B'Ville -B'ville and will continue to be

I'm torn on this one.

I understand Sparky's POV, but to Billy's point, I also understand that at WOS, they DID do backups in the afternoon, and those records set will be accepted as BNI records.

One of the downsides is that you might not be able to get all of your prep done in time if you ran late in the morning.

With a turn-out of only about 90 entries, provided everybody had a chance to make an attempt, and if it was clear that the opportunity to back up your run was in jeopardy, my thought would be that fairness would fall to those who paid their entry, made the trip, made qualifying runs, and are sitting in what must be as close to LSR purgatory as one could imagine. 

It's not just USFRA that has done this. SCTA has allowed same day running for records. When I qualified in 2001 at WF the next day looked bad for weather. The SCTA officials came to all of us in impound and asked if we would like to run at the end of that day or wait until the next morning. All in impound agreed for same day and they took us all down to the 7 mile and had us run back that evening. the only bad part is I ran first thing in the morning with the sun rising in my eyes and back in the evening with the sun setting in my eyes. Ah the good old days.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2018, 01:45:08 PM »
Billy,  NO, NO, NO,--a very bad idea IMO---very, very, unfair to all  of the rest of the racers, including those that weren't even at the meet---Mother Nature is a huge part of what makes B'Ville -B'ville and will continue to be

I'm torn on this one.

another point being overlooked about the USFRA doing return runs later the same day.... No one (or at least not many) were in line to qualify.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2018, 02:03:45 PM »
My oft-told tale of return runs earlier than next morning:

I was riding the 250 Turbo bike at WoS and qualified - on a cloudy/crappy looking morning.  When I got back to the pits Jim Burkdoll greeted me with "Get back in line - we're going to run out the qualifiers before the weather breaks."  We did, I did back it up, and yes, sometimes circumstances require refining the planning a bit.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2018, 02:13:14 PM »
As I recall, at this year's WoS, (due to the better part of one day being lost to high winds), qualifiers the next day were given the choice of making their return runs either right after lunch, late that afternoon, or first thing the next morning.  It seemed to work out pretty well.

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline racergeo

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »
   Anyway you look at it, incredible opportunity lost. Who knows if or when the salt conditions will support these kind of speeds again. The dreary, gloomy weather in Washington always puts me in a funk. Now it is compounded by the anticlimactic WF

Thankfully I'm a member of this unofficial group therapy sight headed up by master therapist SSS  :-D

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2018, 08:32:39 PM »
We all got to witness 500 mph this year  and Danny Thompson fulfill his fathers dream so 2018 was a REALLY good year!   :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
The world finals are always iffy. I have made the trip when I was the timer to turn around and go home or be told it was canceled due to weather. We all want good weather but this time of year is not the best.We will go again next year if the weather gods allow it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
NHRS  likewise---they all deserve a Peg Leg Trophy = qualified didn't back it up for a record!!
Lots of us have those

ah yes but failed back ups vs not getting a chance to back up...
I asked Dan for half a black hat... he told me no.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2018, 08:27:38 PM »
The world finals are always iffy. I have made the trip when I was the timer to turn around and go home or be told it was canceled due to weather. We all want good weather but this time of year is not the best.We will go again next year if the weather gods allow it.
Well I wouldn't call 1 day in 6 years iffy.... I call WF racing rare...  :cheers:

And yes at WoS weather and wind was predicted so they ran records at 1 if you were ready, then 5 if you were ready or the next morning.... folks in impound chose the option that worked for them...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »
Since this picture is posted everywhere else, I thought I would try to post it here.