Author Topic: ACTION ALERT - Racers can help today. . .  (Read 7174 times)

velocity

ACTION ALERT - Racers can help today. . .
« on: August 20, 2018, 02:16:50 PM »
Yes, the 2018 Speed Week salt crust was hard, but any reports of it being "thick" could only have been true if made by a mosquito. The pumping project combined with low precipitation during the past year has covered a great deal of the international speedway with a thin, but fragile salt crust for the first time in several recent years. Many more years of restoration are needed to restore the salt flats to safe racing condition.

Click on the link below to inform your members of Congress that the future of land speed racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats is in jeopardy!

Your help is needed in asking Congress to restore this legendary race venue by securing the funding required. The Bonneville Salt Flats International Speedway has decreased from 13 miles to less than 8 miles.

Members of Congress need to hear from you and help restore Bonneville before it’s too late! DON’T DELAY! Request immediate action from your members of Congress by clicking on the link below.

Want to be of greater help? Post this request and link on your website and share with others in the motorsports community who may not see this important action item.

https://www.votervoice.net/SEMA/campaigns/60483/respond

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: ACTION ALERT - Racers can help today. . .
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »
It got red warnings about the message body was too long and couldn't find this address.
It was the message on the page and I have lived at this address for 34 years.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline jl222

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »

What do I input for prefix?

JL222

velocity

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 06:26:08 PM »
Mr. Gibson - no website is fool proof, or well-designed for that matter.  I had the same bounce when trying to send a letter to one of the 2 senators here in Missouri. My work around? I simply printed out the letter, signed it and popped into a snail mail envelope.

JL222 - Give me a bit more detail about the prefix. . . I am unclear about your problem.

Offline jl222

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 10:39:01 PM »
Mr. Gibson - no website is fool proof, or well-designed for that matter.  I had the same bounce when trying to send a letter to one of the 2 senators here in Missouri. My work around? I simply printed out the letter, signed it and popped into a snail mail envelope.

JL222 - Give me a bit more detail about the prefix. . . I am unclear about your problem.

The site ask for your name, address, city, state and email. The 1st box ask for your prefix which I put in my voting districk not knowing what the hell my prefix is.
 Site came up saying wrong prefix.

Now I can't bring up site.

JL222

Just brought up site. 1st jnfo box, prefix.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:43:00 PM by jl222 »

velocity

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 11:55:29 PM »
AHA!

I believe the Prefix is simply:

Mr. Mrs. Ms Dr. or something like that.

give it a try.

This is all meant o be simple and mostly works a charm for SEMA on other matters

I have alerted DC to the mis-steps.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 02:52:53 AM »
Had to fudge my address, but got it done.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
Fudge how ????

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:40:18 AM »
I'd like to print the letter so I can more easily read it.  And then I'm going to print copies addressed to each legislator and USP-mail it to them.  It's my feeling that a paper comment might have more impact than one sent email.

Is there an easy way to do it?   Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 11:00:29 AM »
I went ahead and successfully sent a message through that website. However I hope what appears at the other end is not "SAVE OUR RACE CARS". That is the big title on the site. I don't think legislators will be too interested in our race cars, but may be interested in saving a national resource - the salt flats.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

velocity

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 10:45:07 PM »
Slim,

Simple!

Highlight the text, copy and paste into the word processing form of your choice

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 12:15:24 AM »
Thanks.  Simple enough and I'll do it, but that little form box left me wondering and I was otherwise occupied so didn't look deeper.  I'll look and do this morning.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 01:49:16 AM »
... Fudge how ????...
Made some trivial change to street address- "1341 State Route 88" instead of "1341 Rt.88"- or whatever didn't result in "invalid address".
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 09:04:52 AM »
First off, I would like to thank SEMA for taking the lead on restoring the Salt.

Second, pumping will never work until the drains are plugged. The wording gets a bit confusing when refering to the ditches as "historic", makes it sound like something to be preserved.

Now, my side;
  I am under the impression that restoring the surface is included in the mining lease. Monies have been banked and bonds posted to do just that. Therefore, it is the reponsibility of the LEASE HOLDER and the LEASE GRANTOR.
  Ask Congress for taxpayer monies? Sure, throw buckets of money in the air. See how little actually hits the ground, er, Salt.

Plug the drain and pump away,
Sam

PS. This is the full text;

"I write to ask for your help in restoring the Bonneville Salt Flats (BSF).  This unique geologic formation has served as the backdrop for movies, commercials and photos, and is a magnet for tourists.  However, Bonneville is most well-known for its role in the history of motorsports, having served as a preeminent race venue until recent years.     

Located on the Utah/Nevada border near Wendover, Utah, the Bonneville salt basin covers an area about 65 miles long and 25 miles wide.  The salt flats are a national treasure and have been hallowed grounds for motorsports enthusiasts since 1914, when racers discovered that it was the perfect surface for keeping tires cool while setting land speed records.  While hundreds of records have been set and broken in a variety of automotive classes, the conditions at Bonneville have deteriorated since the 1960s. 

The Bonneville Salt Flats Race Track (encompassing 36,650 acres) is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.  In 1986, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) designated 30,203 acres as an "Area of Critical Environmental Concern" (ACEC) and a Special Recreation Management Area (SRMA).  Despite these designations, the salt crust has steadily deteriorated as documented in a 1997 U.S. Geological Survey report, which concluded that the maximum salt-crust thickness had declined from 7 feet in 1960 to 5.5 feet in 1988.  Today, the current surface is measured in inches rather than feet, and the 13-mile race track is now less than 8 miles. 

A major contributor to the decline was a decision by the BLM in the 1960s to issue potash mining leases which allowed salt brine to be legally transferred off-site for potash extraction without returning some of the salt byproduct.  Thanks to the current mining company, a strong pumping program is now sending salt brine to the racing area.  However, the volume needs to be increased to overcome decades of neglect. 

The current annual pumping level is approximately 400,000-600,000 tons of salt.  Which has slowed degradation but is not enough to reverse the loss of salt.  To restore Bonneville volumes of salt brine need to reach 1.5-2.0 million tons of salt per year for at least 10 years. This would return the BSF to its Historic Registry, ACEC and SRMA status and standards.  These volumes are based on a 5-year test program from 1997-2002 which averaged 1.2 million tons and began to expand the salt flats.

It is imperative that Congress lead the way in helping provide the funding for the infrastructure needed to achieve the goal.  Salt pumping, combined with other modifications to the historic berms, channels, and other man-made changes to the BSF, will ensure the return of the historic salt crust. 

I appreciate your support for restoring the Bonneville Salt Flats and look forward to your response."
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 11:34:06 AM »
Good letter Sam  :cheers:

I am under the impression that restoring the surface is included in the mining lease. Monies have been banked and bonds posted to do just that. Therefore, it is the reponsibility of the LEASE HOLDER and the LEASE GRANTOR........

Nope, they only have to restore/remove some surface items like ditches, berms the closing the wells.

I had about 6 links saved that went to the wording on BLM's site and Intrepid's site and now trying to go to them they have all been removed and no longer exist, at least not where they were before.

I have some documents saved that you can't find anymore on the internet.  Might be nice to store them someplace like in the archives on this site alone and not lost in one of these threads.  One documents STS's efforts to question things and the nonsense they got in reply.

Also according to papers the current laydown is not suppose to add to the salt but is designed to be a net replacement of what is taken each year.  The salt going back is not just going to the surface as it also leaches down into the strata under the surface and to the brine aquifer under that.  A BLM paper on the first laydown period mentions that and also that laydown period did show a net yield, with some of it increasing the thickness of the crust...

Lots of years of laydown and the salt has only gotten thinner.  Still the laydown has probably slowed that thinning but it has also been a benefit to Intrepid according to other BLM papers....

Sumner

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:56:26 AM by Sumner »