Author Topic: Battle of the fastest "gas" cars  (Read 21414 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Battle of the fastest "gas" cars
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 05:33:09 PM »
Yeah, Dan... I Guess being "there" isn't really being...THERE.  

and being the first at anything doesn't mean diddlysquwat to anyone else but the person who did it especially the next day.. Who remembers the first GMC powered gas/fuel roadster over 200...only one guy...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »
Yeah, Dan... I Guess being "there" isn't really being...THERE.  

and being the first at anything doesn't mean diddlysquwat to anyone else but the person who did it especially the next day.. Who remembers the first GMC powered gas/fuel roadster over 200...only one guy...

Not true Jimmy!! I still tell of watching you reset the 200 + record after your son(s?) first set it and you did it with only high gear!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 10:40:35 PM »
not true JD  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 12:29:03 AM »
This has nothing to do with being the first to do anything.  At least not for me.  But Mickey Thompson being the first American to go 400,  yah I think some people may remember that,  and there are plenty more.  Being a slow guy in a fast class means I will always be a page two story and thats okay.

For most of us Bonneville comes down to personal accomplishment.  If you are doing it thinking you are going to impress someone else (especially with a record that has to have four astericks behind to qualify),  you will be very disappointed.  Let's be honest all "records" are not created equal.  So other than personal accomplishment all we can really hope for is the respect and appreciation of our fellow racers.  They share in our struggles and can relate to what we had to go through to get that record.

My personal goal for some time has been to go 400.  Now along the way I was hoping to earn a blue hat etc.  Being the fastest car in the world on gas was never really on my radar. If anything it may just be a side bar on the way to over 400 for me personally.   However to see someone else laying claim to an honor that you realized you had just earned... is kinda a bummer.  It was actually a surprise because as far as I knew Infidel had that honor.  Then suddenly there is a short article written about a battle you didn't even know you were in.  It quotes one participants highest speed (an exit speed) and your average speed much slower than the actual pass the car made.  What in reality was a 4 mph difference is presented as a 30 mph difference.  I am referencing the fastest Mile as opposed to the records or exits because that was the inaccurate claim mentioned prior.  My friend Donnie set a record at El Mirage where he got his Maroon hat.  It was beat about an hour later and he was already on the road home.  Would have sucked if he didn't get his hat or recognition because the record only stood for an hour. 

I will probably never be a contender for a real big deal,  like the Hot Rod trophy etc.  So I am just trying to accomplish what I can on my own talent,  in a car I designed, built, tune, drive and funded.  I have spent time in other classes all the time planning for the day when I built my streamliner.  Rick called me so hopefully we have put this to rest.  Going forward I am only trying to go for that new personal best.  Even getting over 400 (in anything) puts you in a very exclusive club and is something to be very proud of regardless of records.  I am really glad that Flashpoint and the Carbinite guys both got that honor this year.  We probably have more high potential cars running now than at any point prior.  I received some of best compliments I could hope for when i got calls from several guys I hold in very high regards telling me they were impressed with my performance with a new car.  So blue hat,  a pretty respectable record and a car that is still just at the beginning of its potentials... Yah I am good with that!

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2018, 05:16:34 PM »
Well said Eddie.
From one of the **fastest unblown gas lakester teams, with 2-4 barrels and a 4 speed**  :-D
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2018, 12:37:46 AM »
with the hardest luck
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2018, 09:39:30 PM »
I run GAS. I went 239.47. Fastest I've been. I'm fast and having fun doing it. I didn't read all the post. SCAATY is A/BGCC. It's all fun. See you next year. FASTER!!!
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2018, 11:58:00 AM »
and......crickets.....lol 

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2018, 01:26:39 PM »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »
Well...…

Fastest gas "car" not streamliner, opens the door for interpretation....  :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...