Author Topic: Parachutes B/GC Pro Stock drag chutes  (Read 9126 times)

Offline ulrace

Parachutes B/GC Pro Stock drag chutes
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »
Planning to use pro stock chutes at bonneville. Acceptable? Is there a minimum or even suggested length for shroud lines?

bob

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: Parachutes B/GC Pro Stock drag chutes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 08:29:46 PM »
Planning to use pro stock chutes at bonneville. Acceptable? Is there a minimum or even suggested length for shroud lines?

bob

Drag chutes having short shroud lines they will hit hard causing the rear of the vehicle to lift off the ground.  LSR chutes always have longer lines there usually designed per application. Contact Joe Timney Delaware Chassis Works for guidance.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline ulrace

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 08:43:12 PM »
Thanks Ronnie; Joe is getting the right chute for me; now if i can just figure out how to get all the lead in the car.
bob

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 02:53:19 PM »
Thanks Ronnie; Joe is getting the right chute for me; now if i can just figure out how to get all the lead in the car.
bob

Your Welcome
   We spend a lot of time adding lead weight. I prefer thin material this way we can lay it flat on the floor and inside surfaces trying to keep the load as low as possible in the car. Thin sheets are much easier to cut and fold into the tightest locations. We also make wooden forms for unusual shapes needed and just heat the lead and pour the stuff into the wooden forms doing this outdoors so the fumes do not create health concerns.

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline jl222

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »
 We use two Funny Car 12' drag chutes on the 222 Camaro. Have pulled both at over 260 mph with no problem.

IF shroud lines are mounted in the correct position there will be no problem, usually camshaft height.

Fast Freddy uses  same chute on his 384 mph lakester.

Why would pro stock chutes cause the rear to lift at Bville and not the drags?

You have to think about why short shroud lines work for the thousands of passes every month at the drags.

Short lines react quicker which has helped the 222 car stop a spin.

JL222
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:44:58 PM by jl222 »

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 03:06:24 PM »
We use two Funny Car 12' drag chutes on the 222 Camaro. Have pulled both at over 260 mph with no problem.

IF shroud lines are mounted in the correct position there will be no problem, usually camshaft height.

You have to think about why short shroud lines work for the thousands of passes every month at the drags.

JL222

Good questions but I have one why would the chutes made for Bonneville have long lines just for the heck of it?  Sure a pro stock running at the drags can stop with the short chutes and not lift but heck their not running in the 220's yet are they? To each their own it works for you what your doing and it works for all the rest of us using the long lines.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 03:56:36 PM »
I run a roadster with fairly long lines so don't have a dog in this fight.
Drag strips usually have bleachers, trees, hills, buildings, fences, walls, etc at least partially blocking a cross wind. Nothing like that at the salt except miles and miles of more miles of empty space. (paraphrazing Red Skelton)
Seems to me short lines COULD make the rear a little more unstable if there is a cross wind.
At the salt there is generally no need for the chutes to come out in a hurry as in drag racing.
If the rear or front has a tendency to lift (have seen pictures of dragsters lifting the front when the chute hits), the anchor point is absolutely wrong and should be addressed.

YMMV
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »

JL222

Good questions but I have one why would the chutes made for Bonneville have long lines just for the heck of it?  Sure a pro stock running at the drags can stop with the short chutes and not lift but heck their not running in the 220's yet are they? To each their own it works for you what your doing and it works for all the rest of us using the long lines.

Funny cars are going over 325 and use the short lines, plus if you start to spin or have a problem the short parachute line will hit quicker to slow you down sooner.  Do what you want but we have never had a problem with the drag chute.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 02:47:30 PM »
I run a roadster with fairly long lines so don't have a dog in this fight.
Drag strips usually have bleachers, trees, hills, buildings, fences, walls, etc at least partially blocking a cross wind. Nothing like that at the salt except miles and miles of more miles of empty space. (paraphrazing Red Skelton)
Seems to me short lines COULD make the rear a little more unstable if there is a cross wind.
At the salt there is generally no need for the chutes to come out in a hurry as in drag racing.
If the rear or front has a tendency to lift (have seen pictures of dragsters lifting the front when the chute hits), the anchor point is absolutely wrong and should be addressed.

YMMV
Ron

At Bonneville when the wind becomes too strong the course Stewart's will not allow vehicles to run either. Attachment site is most critical.