Author Topic: Parachutes B/GC Pro Stock drag chutes  (Read 2569 times)

Offline ulrace

Parachutes B/GC Pro Stock drag chutes
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:42:58 PM »
We run a a B/GC firebird. ECTA record holder 1 mile at 202. Heading for world of speed in september. We use two prostock chutes that are 8'. i am planning to use  just one at Bonneville but wonder if the tether length  will be a problem. I would say they are about 20', really work great.
thanks
bob

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Parachutes B/GC Pro Stock drag chutes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:20:26 PM »
  First of all call Your chute manufacturer whom I expect is Bob Stroud (who makes most all if not all Pro Stock chutes).  I think He will recommend two chutes with one of them being about 30' long as the primary chute.  The reason is two fold as with the Salt being a loose surface You want the hit to be EASY or it may lift the rear of the car enough to unload the chassis and send You to Spin City and if the course is damp or rutted up You might want to slow it down more quickly using the 20' chute as a secondary brake.  Two chutes the same length can be problematic especially with the crosswinds We get in the afternoons.
  What You don't want to do is touch the brakes at over 200 mph unless You own a lot of stock in Wilwood or have extra rotors with You.  Many years We have only had one or two turnouts per mile and if You miss them You better have a shovel in the car.
  One last thing, make sure Your attachment point for the tag line is camshaft high, and if it starts to spin its best not to pull the chutes.  If You catch it early enough the chute might help but steering with the throttle is the best way to straighten a car out.
                                                                  "One Run" Bob Drury
p.s. Your car should weigh around 5,000 lbs to run near Your class record on the salt.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:28:53 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline ulrace

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
Thanks Bob, for the information. I'll contact Stroud today about another chute. We now have enough ballast to get to 4500 lbs; looking for more. seems like really good salt right now.  Hopefully good for World of Speed.
bob larimore 
B/GC 1123

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 11:05:41 AM »
Not running the speeds your trying to attain but I have always "choked" down my chutes for Bonneville. They hit pretty hard over 200 at least my tri-form did. . I was told not to ever use a 10-12 so your 8's sound good. Good luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 03:42:57 PM »
We don't need a sand trap and catch net at Bonneville. About any chute will work (not too big) unless you're really, really fast.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 07:24:53 PM »

We run 12 ft funny car chutes on the 222 A/BGALT 4800lb Camaro, top timed speed 294 mph in 1st mile. Have pulled pulled both
chutes at over 260 mph when window fogged up due to water hose blow off due to cyl head torch thru 

Pulled both chutes and got hard on our four wheel brakes. Course worker says '' you sure got stopped fast'' yeah I couldn't see where
 I was going.

I usually coast down in speed at Bville before pulling chutes.
 I also like our 25 ft shroud lines as they come out fast when needed.

Check out the Leggitt Studebaker video when it got sideways and rearend airborne. Branden pulled the chute, out it comes and straightens  the car out and he  gets back on the throttle briefly. That was some driving!!

Also Troy saved a spin once by pulling both chutes, and I always pull the chute if I have time before car goes around.

As what causes the 222 to spin is tire spin, I have never tried to throttle out of it as it usually snaps around to fast.

JL222