Author Topic: Speedboat Aerodynamics  (Read 4997 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Speedboat Aerodynamics
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 10:44:07 AM »
PP says
It doesn't much matter how you open the hole( in the air) it is all about how you close the hole. 

Much more to be gained by working on the back of every thing.
  the engine cover fair behind it
  closing the hole behind the driver and passenger   
the back of the hull explore what Sid says about tunnel hulls
Lemming point of air getting inside the hull if it affects a canoe that much it is sure is having an effect on you

Also think about tandem again
 let the passenger be your traveling  ballast for hull trim  start sitting up facing you--you between his legs  he scoots forward then starts to lie back to a prone position

doing something like this the driver should not have to move very much
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »
I was under the impression you were doing speed runs but it sounds like you're looking for straightaway speed while circuit racing or maybe an inflatable version of Aussie dinghy racing.
You basically have three critical areas, after the top of the bow, after the two idiots (& I say that with respect because I am one, along with pretty much everybody else on this forum :-)) & after the engine. Sounds like the best plan for a front tonneau would be to bring it down to the floor ahead of you so you can't get under it.
Question. Does you ballast man go up into the bow?
  Sid.
Oz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjNi3qPeOrg

Offline roflhat

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 05:39:01 PM »
It's more like that dinghy derby racing to be honest! Plenty videos on youtube, have a look at thundercat racing
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUJJmVi1jms
Haha, I wasn't taking offence at the idiots reference, think you have to be mad to do this!

So basically keep the driver and codriver low as possible which we do already, and maybe a tail section behind the engine cowling?
Is it still worth smoothing the air behind the front nose cone, both crew are sitting on the floor so the air would have to go back over us

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 01:20:32 AM »
Holy $hit Mate! That's some gnarly water for a little rubber boat, you guys are definitely idiot club members. :wink:
I was in my early 30's when I tried off-shore racing in big cats when I was living in Aus & one race was enough to cure me of that crap. A good Saturday night pub brawl wasn't that hard on a body!
Seems like you have a pretty good handle on where you can make improvements but I doubt any of them would be much use to you in that big chop so it might be desirable to make them removable for conditions.
Stay safe & don't grow up, I tried it once & decided it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. aktion086
  Sid.