Landracing Forum Home
December 10, 2018, 08:09:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for suggestions for improved aerodynamics on a naked motorcycle  (Read 2551 times)
Buamotorsport

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 01:19:42 AM »

1920 miles? Is that all......itís around 6000 if not more for me. Fly London to LA ....then pick the car up and tow to Bonneville. Lol. Itís worth every cent.
maj

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2018, 02:34:48 AM »

And 8268.5 miles for me , made the trip for 10 yrs this season will be 11
Koncretekid

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2018, 07:10:44 AM »

Kevin,
Although there's no substitute for going to the Salt Flats during an event for new ideas, you can learn a lot just from the photos that are posted by Scooter Grubb (https://www.scootershoots.com/BUBMotorcycleSpeedTrials/2014-Bonneville-Motorcycle-Spe/) and Phil Hawkins (http://ishootfromthehip.com/contact.html) as well as the photo gallery on this site.
Tom
P.S. For example, Scooter's BMST photos, 2014, page 17, photo 337
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:22:42 AM by Koncretekid » Logged

We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!
speedrattle
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2018, 05:35:29 PM »

And 8268.5 miles for me , made the trip for 10 yrs this season will be 11
1920 miles? Is that all......itís around 6000 if not more for me. Fly London to LA ....then pick the car up and tow to Bonneville. Lol. Itís worth every cent.

it's worth it, but that's simply more money than i have, worth it or not. i've got two kids in college and three more headed in. but if i strike the lottery i'll be there.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:38:05 PM by speedrattle » Logged
Larry Forstall

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 09:12:01 PM »

The rules state that streamlining is anything IN FRONT of the Rider that acts to guide the air around the bike. How about a nice belly pan that goes from the front of the engine to the rear where a batwing guides the air around the tire ?  NASCAR teams had lots of neat ideas such as oval exhausts and very wide flat bottom oil pans. Rules now do not allow anything. Much more fun in the old days .   LSL
Frank06

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 04:22:24 AM »

Re: riding position.  I would experiment a bit, try keeping your head centered (just make sure you can see where you're going!) then raising your back, etc.  Hopefully there will be no shortage of runs available to experiment.  Did you try a different helmet (one without the lip)?

centering my head means i have to rest my chin on the top tube, way above the triple tree in the wind. ducking down means my head creates a wind shadow that conceals some of the rest of my body. i've run older-style bell helmets that just bounced from side to side at speed. this one with the lip actually has no discernable buffetting, so i'm guessing they got it right. smooth as glass at speed, rather thnanknocking my head back and forth. the shoei helmets have a kamm profile, and i'm look at the budget for one of those. my bell is getting chewed up from grinding against the fork tubes.

I've been told that ceramic bearings make a difference at 200 mph, I imagine the impact would be more significant at lower speeds.  I don't know if anybody has ever made back-to-back runs in an effort to try to quantify.  Wheel bearings are an obvious choice but I've also heard of guys changing transmission bearings.

i'm looking at wheel bearings for the winter rebuild, along with all the other small increment stuff. dunno about transmission bearings. the layshaft runs in wet needles, so i'd only get to change out the mainshaft ball and roller. maybe it would be something.

did you run something up there last month? i was busy and didn't have much time to talk to people.
I guess my suggestion was that actually trying the alternative position would prove your assumption that your current position was better.  You know what they say about assumptions...  I ran the electric 'Busa.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

speedrattle
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 05:08:07 PM »

I guess my suggestion was that actually trying the alternative position would prove your assumption that your current position was better.  You know what they say about assumptions...  I ran the electric 'Busa.

yo!

i talked with you on the line about the voltage you were running on your bike. wonderful machine.

on positions, i don't know what is better, or what is worse. have to look at the timing slips. i will test it.

currently broke-back-butt-in-the-air seems effective, just not aesthetic.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:14:30 PM by speedrattle » Logged
speedrattle
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2018, 05:13:06 PM »

The rules state that streamlining is anything IN FRONT of the Rider that acts to guide the air around the bike. How about a nice belly pan that goes from the front of the engine to the rear where a batwing guides the air around the tire ?  NASCAR teams had lots of neat ideas such as oval exhausts and very wide flat bottom oil pans. Rules now do not allow anything. Much more fun in the old days .   LSL

this next meet is where i see what i can do without bodywork.

for next time, i'll show up with a kamm boxx, a fender, a bellypan to test. . .

dunno.
speedrattle
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »

the totally naked machine did well.

133.002 in the standing start mile, and 135.259 in the standing start mile-and-a-half.

no aero aids on it all, except my fat butt stuck up in the air.

looking for three-spoke 17-inch cast wheels now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: