Landracing Forum Home
November 19, 2018, 03:26:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Aero" screen?  (Read 4572 times)
Jack Gifford

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 12:31:14 AM »

I bought some screen samples, but haven't really tested them yet. One of them is about 60% open area, with nominal .003" openings, that I'll eventually test on the engine dyno. Anybody have a clue about the relationship between open-area-percentage and actual airflow percentage? I think these samples are simply round-wire screen, but I'm not sure.

M/T Pontiac hemi guru
Saltfever

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 01:03:36 AM »

You know the drag formula CdA. Often the Cd is far more important than the "A". Meaning that the shape of the wire can create more drag (or reduce flow) than the area! Round wire having one of the worst Cd's. That is why aircraft have teardrop or oval shaped wires for bracing and struts. Even on a slow 90 mph biplane the bracing wire is oval. Thousand$ spent on CFD probably could get you close but lacking that you will have to do your own dyno or flow tests. You could probably set up a drag-differential test in the garage with just a fan. You couldn't quantify the drag but if you keep the area identical on your test samples you will see their difference in drag.  Check out Aircraft Spruce.com for possibilities.
tauruck

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 05:50:16 PM »

Add all the screen wire thicknesses together and you'll find you only have half the airflow.
We used a sock made from the same material used in composite vaccuum bag technology
called breather bag on our Mazda Peripheral Port motors and it out "breathed" any commercially
avaible filter. Cheap and excellent. Easy to use and keeps FOD out!.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: