Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2018: The developing story  (Read 161441 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: SpeedWeek 2018: The developing story
« Reply #375 on: August 20, 2018, 08:58:59 PM »
Thank you for the very complete and informational coverage of the whole event Jon and Ron. I love dry wit, and Jon sense of humor is great. How can you be personable, funny, and patient while sitting in a small trailer for 12 hours a day (for NO pay). You can really tell that Jon has professional broadcasting experience. We are lucky to have him here.

The information coming across was not "perfect"  but no one should have expected it given the lack of coordination between the starters, tower, and announcers. I hope SCTA begins to realize how much this adds to the experience and implements a process so that the announcers get all the information they need. The technology is certainly there, it just needs the will of SCTA to make it happen.

Don

550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #376 on: August 21, 2018, 07:31:54 AM »
Thanks so much for your broadcast.  I have my computer linked to the sound system in my shop.  The information that you broadcasted, and the sound of the cars as they make their pass, was truly music to my ears.  Very little work was done in the shop last week, but that is okay.  I got to relive Bonneville and it made me feel good.

Thanks again

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline joea

« Reply #377 on: August 21, 2018, 11:52:07 PM »
Did I miss any updates on Jim Knapp’s new liner and crew ( that was developed and poised to shoot for 500 in Bolivia last month) ...?

Offline desotoman

« Reply #378 on: August 22, 2018, 12:06:07 AM »
Joe,

They were at speedweek but as I recall they only made one or possibly two passes. I think they ran a speed of about 272 in maybe the fourth mile.

That is all I remember looking at the results.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 1leg

« Reply #379 on: August 22, 2018, 05:01:59 PM »
Did I miss any updates on Jim Knapp’s new liner and crew ( that was developed and poised to shoot for 500 in Bolivia last month) ...?

The car never made it to the salt flats in bolivia and was having a self steering problem during testing before speed week. He showed up Late Monday to speedweek and was just going to make some test passes in 2wd. I have not heard anything else about his speedweek testing I left on tuesday at noon. It's going to be badA$$ car if he gets it going straight.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #380 on: August 22, 2018, 07:53:01 PM »

Car 33:

Ran Thursday Aug 16th.  271 at mile 2
http://nebula.wsimg.com/b8157a72d1da17597770b8f91cded656?AccessKeyId=1B489604A3781742F233&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I think he told me the top speed was 297.    He said it ran straight  as an arrow with very little throttle effort. It had a gremlin or two so he didn't get another shakedown run in.

As stated ... when he gets the 4 wheel drive sorted out it's going to be a RUNNER !!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:55:59 PM by Hot Rod Lincoln »

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #381 on: August 23, 2018, 10:23:46 PM »
Hi Jon (Slim) & Ron,

I had to alas experience Speedweek 2018 vicariously. I have been to Speedweek twice before (plus "enjoying" Speedweek weekend from a hotel parking lot due to the flooding RIGHT AFTER we arrived after a 20 hour straight shot from Calgary, 2014 I think). I thoroughly enjoyed the live broadcasts in my shop and often resorted to listening to the saved stream of record return runs from the early AM after broadcasts ceased after your long day. My hats off to both of you and the team that makes this possible. Sure there were a few glitches with microphones but that had to have been less than 5% of the time. Thanks for even bothering to check for feedback from the forum and quick response in fixing any reported glitches in that regard.

First of all, we have lousy reception on the FM radios - so we often can't hear what we need to hear to tell you.  SCTA/BNI has visited us in the trailer a bunch of times - now understands better the radio situation ("Maybe we cold install a base station/antenna so we'd have better reception.  Let's consider that").  The data that's on the screen in the tower could be displayed in our trailer -- if the entire data system gets expanded to send the stuff to us.  Radio infrastructure on the salt is a weird game, so I'll step back and let Manghelli and his crews know what we'd like - and hope the time and money budgets include more stuff for Ron and me soon.  It's all pretty good now - I'm not gonna crab about how good it should be.  I'll do what I can with what I have.

So, constructively how can we help? Are there specific donations required? I'd certainly be happy to donate funds towards needed equipment. How do we do that?

Out of interest (as an Amateur Radio licensee who also puts on the radio infrastructure for the Rocky Mountain Motogiro) is HAM radio (VHF / UHF) level gear used or commercial FM radios or other?

Many thanks again. We are blessed to have ANY live coverage from the Salt.

Jim
VE6BTW

P.S. Hope to be able to make World Finals. Fingers crossed on many counts.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #382 on: August 24, 2018, 12:19:54 AM »
Yo, Jim.  Thanks.  SCTA/BNI owns and operates the data links that move stuff around on the salt.  The FMs are commercial 450 Mhz handhelds (I think they're on 450) and there's a repeater on top of the hill in Wendover that's used - I think.  Forgive me - I haven't asked for details but I think I've got it right.  Manghelli and Yacoucci are the guys that run and maintain the radio and data links.

I wouldn't be surprised if what's needed to get the announce trailer more data -- is to ask for it.  In many cases we didn't get stuff 'cause nobody knew it was available for us/nobody knew to provide that data to us electronically. Every year we find more/ask for more/get more.  I don't think it's anything that you or I need to donate as much as it is to continue to refine what we have and what we can get.

There's a 2 meter repeater in Wendover, but I haven't tried using it in a while.  This year my truck was so new (got it four days before leaving for the salt) that I didn't have the 2 meter rig installed yet.

Jon a/k/a SSS also known as WA8GDW

PS  Of course, donations to the site are always welcome :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #383 on: August 24, 2018, 12:48:53 AM »
First time missed in 23 years. After I figured out my local problems I simply turned my phone speaker on, put it in my shirt pocket, and had better coverage the entire day than being there real time. No kidding, when thrashing in the pits a lot is going on and I would miss stuff from the CB all the time. At home the broadcast was with me everywhere. It seems the broadcast was better this year than FM at SW in the past. I remember the day when there was zero information going back home until after the end of the day when the call was made from the Nugget with long distance charges!

When I choose my first cell phone carrier it was based on their coverage map showing Bonneville included. Just imagine my disappointment when I got there and got zero. But I saw a few talking away on their phone and asked who their carrier was?  The next year I arrived with a new phone and a new carrier that I still have to this day. My, how times have changed!. Can you imagine what the job you did this year means to me Jon!  :-)   

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:57:09 AM by Saltfever »