Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2018: The developing story  (Read 161449 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: SpeedWeek 2018: The developing story
« Reply #360 on: August 20, 2018, 02:13:43 PM »
Okay - I'm back at the office and can talk a minute.  Here's some information.

First of all, Mike has a very valid point and all I can do is apologise.  As far as I'm concerned, my first duty is to give each racer the information he wants -- his speeds.  That is paramount.  No questions.  I yield the point.  You're right.  I'm sorry I missed that most important run of the event, Mike.  No matter the speed, the racer wants to know HIS numbers and NOW!

The data we see on the screens in front of us is simply the timing slip for each run.  That's all. And we don't see it 'til the tower clicks "print" or whatever.  Sometimes that's not until the next vehicle has been announced - might be a minute, might be a few seconds.

We understand that Glen Barrett gave you lots more information. That's because he was sitting in the timing tower, where all information goes first.  The starter radios the tower with the next vehicle number, and if we don't hear and understand it in the announce trailer - whether because of scratchy radio system noise or because we were reading another racer's numbers or whatever -- we won't know who's running 'til either we hear it on the radio or we see the vehicle a mile or two away and try to guess who it is.

We are located in a location that is chosen by SCTA/BNI - and I don't question it.  The trailer we use is also the Course 1 timing slip trailer.  If we were to be at the line, as has been suggested -- we'd be able to see what vehicle is up next - but only on the course it's near.  If the announce trailer were to be located between 1 and 2, as it used to be -- we'd have a chance to use binoculars to see who's up next - you're right.

Of course we'd have to hope that there aren't spectators and crew and others blocking the view, so we might have to wait a minute to identify the vehicle.  Remember that when there's another long pause because we're trying to see and therefore not looking a the screen to give you some other information.  By the way, in case you want to compare, the trailer is going to be at the line for WoS and it used to be at the line for SCTA/BNI events, too.  Ron likes the trailer being there, so do your best to hear what you think.  I won't be on the salt for WoS.

Back to announcing from the line:  and then there are courses 3 and 4.  There's no way we can see those, and who's to tell a racer that his numbers aren't important just 'cause he's way over there?  Or, worse -- just imagine when you were a rookie - how bummed you would be if everyone else's speeds were announced but yours - your very first time running on the salt - weren't?  No frickin' fair!

We missed some announcements because we had visitors in the trailer.  They ask for help - we try, and yes, sometimes we miss something on the race track.  Is Ron SanGiovanni glad I took the time to try to find some gears for him a year ago?  And the guys from the 636 car this year - should I have shooed them away?  Of course not - but maybe I wouldn't have missed calling out Mike's speeds if I had.  The Kiwi lady that kept coming in with pretty good information, not too much blather - if I'd asked her to stay out of the trailer I might have managed a bit fewer missed speeds - but I made the decision to add her comments to help everyone not just know what the NZ team was doing, but to share the international excitement of SpeedWeek.

Okay - I could go on, but I hope you understand a bit better some of the issues we faced.  Don't get me wrong - I had a ball.  I'll do it again, even if it'll take my eyes a week to get over staring at a dark screen with bright white salt reflecting the sun into my eyes - 8 or 10 hours a day.

Now - some of what we did during the week last week to make it better next time.

First of all, we have lousy reception on the FM radios - so we often can't hear what we need to hear to tell you.  SCTA/BNI has visited us in the trailer a bunch of times - now understands better the radio situation ("Maybe we cold install a base station/antenna so we'd have better reception.  Let's consider that").  The data that's on the screen in the tower could be displayed in our trailer -- if the entire data system gets expanded to send the stuff to us.  Radio infrastructure on the salt is a weird game, so I'll step back and let Manghelli and his crews know what we'd like - and hope the time and money budgets include more stuff for Ron and me soon.  It's all pretty good now - I'm not gonna crab about how good it should be.  I'll do what I can with what I have.

Second, we don't always get the right paperwork the next morning.  This hassle was dissected and chewed over and we think we've got it figured out.  All of the data from each day is entered and crunched overnight, and getting what we needed selected, printed, and into the announcer's slot at the motel for me to fetch the next morning - isn't as easy as it sounds.  And without those summaries - well, we're left to give you return run information, for instance, without being sure of yesterday's speeds.  We scrawl speeds as they come in and tomorrow morning we hope to find those scratchy notes, and that leads to confusing talk from us.  Hey - now we know what we need, and you betcha we'll have it next year.

There's more, more subtle stuff that I try to do to make the broadcast more informative and enjoyable, more hassles that we work around.  We do what we can.

Mike, I'm sorry I missed your numbers.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #361 on: August 20, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »
On the announcing by Slim and Ron all I will say is thank you for your time and effort, as I remember when it was 10 days to two weeks before any results were known to anyone not attending Speedweek. Back then you called your friends who went to Bonneville once they got home, and asked how they did.

Now with technology we are really spoiled and can listen in to the races live. Wow have times changed, and for the better.

Tom G.  
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #362 on: August 20, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »
2 cents: I see both sides of the broadcast reviews . If you were not there then it's great and brings you some of the action (better then nothing at all). However, I agree that a lot of MPH announcements are missing. This has been a problem since Glen was relieved of duties. From a color analyst stand point, Slim and Ron do fine (get a little better every year) but as a racer I wish the FM MPH announcements would come over the CB like they used to.  

I agree most the time we didn't know the speeds of the cars and I was there watching them go by

you guys did a great job you just didn't get the data in a a timely fashion to anounce
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:52:46 PM by turborick »
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #363 on: August 20, 2018, 02:29:40 PM »
Jon –

You're out of your mind giving an apology.  You do a terrific job.  And as for the "chatter" between runs, I enjoy it all and it keeps us reminded that you guys are still there.

Thank you again for helping make SpeedWeek the best it's ever been.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jimwebb

• Nuts Racing Home
« Reply #364 on: August 20, 2018, 04:02:59 PM »
I would also like to compliment Jon on the broadcast work. Yeah, I liked Glen's plain & simple numbers and the famous "Take it to impound", but those were different times. Four courses to pay attention to, down time to fill, long days cramped in a tiny trailer can't be much fun. But you guys did it and sounded cheerful the whole time. I think the FM broadcast has improved every year.
And, yes there was no announcement of my times and I have the all zeros timing slip to prove it. Also, sorry about the mess on 2 Sunday morning... we'll be back.
Hey, at least I finally got a red hat! Heck, every Participant got one! (now I just need to get the other red hat...)
The Big Red Truck From Texas
Chock Full O' Nuts
Record Holder AA/PP A/PP B/PP C/PP D/PP (Oops, Larry got this one!) E/PP

Offline salt27

« Reply #365 on: August 20, 2018, 04:27:01 PM »
On the announcing by Slim and Ron all I will say is thank you for your time and effort, as I remember when it was 10 days to two weeks before any results were known to anyone not attending Speedweek. Back then you called your friends who went to Bonneville once they got home, and asked how they did.

Now with technology we are really spoiled and can listen in to the races live. Wow have times changed, and for the better.

Tom G. 

What Tom said.

and my apoligies for distracting you in the past while you were working (for free).

Don

Offline noboD

« Reply #366 on: August 20, 2018, 04:41:29 PM »
I'm with the guys that think they got their money's worth. I would have known nothing that was going on and may have even gotten a little more work done last week. Dead air is a killer for boredom in a broadcast. Be it dumb jokes or talking about hamburgers I appreciated it all. THANKS!

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #367 on: August 20, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
Thanks so much for the broadcasting,
Loved it here in france,
I did miss though...the Duck  ringtone of the other year..lol (which made me giglle so much thinking "what the duck is a duck doing on the salt flats" )
Well done and thanks,

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #368 on: August 20, 2018, 05:41:30 PM »
Hot Rod Magazine on the Hot Rod Trophy: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/463-038mph-dave-spangler-turbinator-ii-take-hot-rod-magazine-trophy-bonneville-speedweek-2018/

Modern journalism sucks.  Hot Rod's article sucks.  "We had about a half-dozen machines over 400mph aiming for the top spot..."  One-two-three-four-five-six.  "About a half-dozen" is GARBAGE!   How many, fool!  BTW, I quit reading after that.

Mike (Who has not purchased a copy of Hot Rod in 25 years or so)

Mike,

I don't understand where you are coming from??? I counted 5 cars going over 400 so IMO "about" is okay to say. What am I missing???

JMO,

Tom G.

Sorry for the rant.  Wrong time and place.  :roll:

"Hot Rod reminds you when making the first oil change in your new SuperDuperDoubleTurboChargedV4 (tm) to be sure to put about a half dozen quarts of oil in the crankcase."

If it's five, say five, otherwise you sound like a generic bleach-blond local tv news reader.

Mike  :cheers:
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #369 on: August 20, 2018, 05:58:58 PM »
You done good Slim, I sure appreciated it. Everyone has the option of the off & on switch on the radio, I chose the on position, if anyone isnt happy then choose the other one   :cheers:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #370 on: August 20, 2018, 06:12:13 PM »

"Hot Rod reminds you when making the first oil change in your new SuperDuperDoubleTurboChargedV4 (tm) to be sure to put about a half dozen quarts of oil in the crankcase."

If it's five, say five, otherwise you sound like a generic bleach-blond local tv news reader.

Mike  :cheers:

Mike,

Thanks for the explanation. In So Cal I am used to the generic bleach-blond local tv news reader.
 :cheers:

Tom G. 
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #371 on: August 20, 2018, 07:31:27 PM »
Thanks so much for the broadcasting,
Loved it here in france,
I did miss though...the Duck  ringtone of the other year..lol (which made me giglle so much thinking "what the duck is a duck doing on the salt flats" )
Well done and thanks,
A few years ago at the Cook's Shootout I was stationed out at the eight mile. When I was done at the end of one day I left my little round barbeque grill out there as an aid to find my place when I returned the next morning. To my surprise I was greeted by ,who else, but a duck. He had apparently camped out overnight. Not being an animal psychologist I couldn't begin to tell you what Webster Webfoot II was thinking.  :?
Wayno

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #372 on: August 20, 2018, 08:35:27 PM »
Slim, as an old observation, Glen almost exculsively used the CB as a communication device. We know his and SCTAs intent was to inform the race vehicles crew on the location of their vehicle. Yes for sure he was always on the FM too for starting, vehicle #'s  etc,  but as spectators and crews we were not and I would not like to be. Ron was at the starting line with the entry info and a CB too to put out info tho car radios when he could. For years we had no one doing anything.....

Glen was also "kind enough" to repeat speeds which he did not need to do. 4 courses has changed that.  I know the towers were short help. Who really wants to come out before 7a and leave after 7p for 7 days. Even if both towers had a person dedicated to giving speeds of vehicles on the 2 different CB's channels....Mr. EGO may not get his speed out to the airways of the world to enjoy and only the vehicle # would be known. You guys had to look all the up, even if you had it, as a vehicle is coming and get it out to us.

Glen and the starters (Cagle) of the past and for the most part knew the #'s by heart and it was easier. I'm sure the starter still gives the tower who is coming.

You guys have no reason to apologize to anyone..................

PS: This year I'm wondering how many drivers kept their drivers suit on all day so everyone knew who the driver was? :? That always cracked me up. By the time my son got to me or I got him we were standing beside the car in our underware waiting for the pickup, towbar, tennies, shorts, and a big hat. OK late Oct maybe not.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline tauruck

« Reply #373 on: August 20, 2018, 08:52:33 PM »
Slim, as an old observation, Glen almost exculsively used the CB as a communication device. We know his and SCTAs intent was to inform the race vehicles crew on the location of their vehicle. Yes for sure he was always on the FM too for starting, vehicle #'s  etc,  but as spectators and crews we were not and I would not like to be. Ron was at the starting line with the entry info and a CB too to put out info tho car radios when he could. For years we had no one doing anything.....

Glen was also "kind enough" to repeat speeds which he did not need to do. 4 courses has changed that.  I know the towers were short help. Who really wants to come out before 7a and leave after 7p for 7 days. Even if both towers had a person dedicated to giving speeds of vehicles on the 2 different CB's channels....Mr. EGO may not get his speed out to the airways of the world to enjoy and only the vehicle # would be known. You guys had to look all the up, even if you had it, as a vehicle is coming and get it out to us.

Glen and the starters (Cagle) of the past and for the most part knew the #'s by heart and it was easier. I'm sure the starter still gives the tower who is coming.

You guys have no reason to apologize to anyone..................

PS: This year I'm wondering how many drivers kept their drivers suit on all day so everyone knew who the driver was? :? That always cracked me up. By the time my son got to me or I got him we were standing beside the car in our underware waiting for the pickup, towbar, tennies, shorts, and a big hat. OK late Oct maybe not.

I've never been to Bonneville and probably will never get there in the future either but I enjoyed every minute of the live broadcast. Awesome job guys. Thank you so much for all you did. Anyone bitching should embrace the culture, not exploit it. Jimmy six said it all. :cheers:

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #374 on: August 20, 2018, 08:56:31 PM »
We actually "experimented" with CB-announcing speeds on course 3 & 4 this year for a couple of days. The Rice brothers installed a trick "split screen" on my monitor so I could read course 3 AND course 4 vehicle numbers and speeds - announcing the latter with a short delay if another vehicle was running concurrently on course 3. Who knows, we may go back to CB announcing full time @ future meets.
Personally, I have no problem handling two mikes (FM/CB) - as it is done @ our El Mirage meets to this day.

Willi

aka "Count Timula"
Who Has More Fun?