Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2018: The developing story  (Read 161438 times)

Offline Dodge Brother

• TS Coachworks
Re: SpeedWeek 2018: The developing story
« Reply #345 on: August 19, 2018, 12:20:35 PM »
We listened to the broadcast while out on the salt for four days and I must say thanks to Slim and Ron (and everyone else involved), for all the effort . I personally enjoy the conversation provided, in addition to the continual reports from the four courses. It's nice to listen to a broadcast, that is not overly regulated and I find this adds to the casual/friendly nature of Speed Week. Thanks again!
Trevor

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #346 on: August 19, 2018, 03:36:14 PM »
Hi, to all.  I'm not happy with the radio coverage during speed week.  On Sunday we made a 281 mile/hr. run and never was on air.  The people were more concerned on how much money they could save if they brought 100 hamburgers in town.  I spend a lot of time and money to run there and what happened not only to us but to other teams, should not have happened.  If you want the world to respect what we do you can't act this way.  Sorry to air this but I feel it had to be said. Mike

Stepping onto soapbox.

I would like to invite you to bring your broadcast equipment to Bonneville and try to outperform the effort that was expended.

Slim & Co. did an amazing job IMHO.  :cheers:

Unless you have a suggestion on how to improve the LIVE feed, you sir are a whiner.

Stepping off of soap box.
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #347 on: August 19, 2018, 10:25:11 PM »
Mike must be a real imPOtant guy in his circles. EVERY competitors runs are important...I guess he feels 281 means more than 125 Oh well. :evil:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #348 on: August 19, 2018, 10:37:25 PM »
  I tell ya, its all fake news anyway. Just ask the donald...  Actually it would be nice if We could keep the boys in the studio and have a roving reporter interviewing racers in the staging lines and pits to use during down times.  The guy who would be great at it is that weirdo from BangShift.com, Chad Reynolds who is both a fan, booster, and pretty fu*king funny if You have ever watched him on March Meet broadcasts of the recent past.  Besides, He needs another thankless, no paying job...........
                                                               "One Run" Bob Drury, out................................................................ :-D :mrgreen: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #349 on: August 19, 2018, 11:52:44 PM »
Sort of interesting video from Instagram.  https://www.instagram.com/p/BmrcNkfnx89/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=13s7ldclggdth

Cool concept; needs some tweaking.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline dw230

« Reply #350 on: August 20, 2018, 12:10:14 AM »
Jon, after setting a record (return run) you must go directly to impound.

After the qualifying run you can stop at pits?

I will add, go directly to impound after getting your timing slip, you will have to stop once to get the timing slip.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

You cannot go through the pits after either a qualifying or record run. The timing slips are located outside the pit area very close to the impound entrance. One hour from the time stamp on the slip is the maximum time allowed to get to impound. One competitor was denied a record because they stopped to pick up a plug wrench in the pits.

Fortunately following a re-qualify they set a record,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #351 on: August 20, 2018, 12:19:22 AM »
Yeah, disappointed...You'd think with the big budget and two professional radio guys on the air for 8 days straight we'd get our money's worth.  And, where were all the commercials like we get on station WUSS-FM ?
We wuz robbed !

Where do I apply for my refund ?        :roll:

Slim and Ron did a great job  it should be understood that they can't get everything when multiple runs were going.

I thought the hamburger discussion was later in the week and not on Sunday

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #352 on: August 20, 2018, 02:08:33 AM »
Hot Rod Magazine on the Hot Rod Trophy: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/463-038mph-dave-spangler-turbinator-ii-take-hot-rod-magazine-trophy-bonneville-speedweek-2018/

Modern journalism sucks.  Hot Rod's article sucks.  "We had about a half-dozen machines over 400mph aiming for the top spot..."  One-two-three-four-five-six.  "About a half-dozen" is GARBAGE!   How many, fool!  BTW, I quit reading after that.

Mike (Who has not purchased a copy of Hot Rod in 25 years or so)
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #353 on: August 20, 2018, 02:48:16 AM »
I've been in the "chicken coup" that Ron and Slim broadcast from.  There's a lot going on, but I can tell everyone that they do their darndest to get as much pertinent and timely information out to those listening as is humanly possible.

If a run gets overlooked, it's simply an oversight.

They do this without the help of a producer or "show runner", and with a disparate stream of information coming from numerous sources that are sometimes coming in simultaneously, sometimes incomplete, and occasionally wrong.

What we actually heard this week was real-time journalism - unedited, unscripted, as-it-happens, and real.

Given that they've been able to put together a week's worth of targeted programming heard around the world that is this compelling to fans of LSR, working in conditions that would drive lesser men to pack up and head for the hotel, and to do so with the minimal investment in equipment and technology that they have at their disposal, I think they should be nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.

Well done, boys.  :cheers:   

Well said. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline CharlieR

• New folks
  • Team FooRyi Racing
« Reply #354 on: August 20, 2018, 06:21:12 AM »
Really enjoyed listening to Slim and Co.
The rag tag group of bikes from GB will be back next year.
Regards from Inverness Scotland.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #355 on: August 20, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »
Slim/Ron...Great job.....And only I can bash our Yooper. :dhorse:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline don

« Reply #356 on: August 20, 2018, 09:49:13 AM »
Hi, to all.  I'm not happy with the radio coverage during speed week.  On Sunday we made a 281 mile/hr. run and never was on air.  The people were more concerned on how much money they could save if they brought 100 hamburgers in town.  I spend a lot of time and money to run there and what happened not only to us but to other teams, should not have happened.  If you want the world to respect what we do you can't act this way.  Sorry to air this but I feel it had to be said. Mike

If you are in this hobby for the accolades, I believe you are in the wrong hobby.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #357 on: August 20, 2018, 10:55:44 AM »
2 cents: I see both sides of the broadcast reviews . If you were not there then it's great and brings you some of the action (better then nothing at all). However, I agree that a lot of MPH announcements are missing. This has been a problem since Glen was relieved of duties. From a color analyst stand point, Slim and Ron do fine (get a little better every year) but as a racer I wish the FM MPH announcements would come over the CB like they used to. 
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Tman

« Reply #358 on: August 20, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »
      Jon and Ron:

Thanks for all of the work to put on the broadcasts. Not too many years ago live streaming was only a conversation on this forum, you and Ron...and others made it happen. We had you on in the pit, the staging lane and a few trips to Crawford's Parts Store. You guys did a great job.
      Let's see:
      - You volunteer
      - Drive 25 hours to get to Wendover
      - 10 or more days on the salt with set up
      - 4 courses running simultaneously
      - 106 degree announcing studio
      - On generator power
      - Broadcast 8 hours a day for 8 days
      - People stopping by the booth all day asking for announcements
      - Broadcast heard around the world

And one guy gets his feelings hurt because he did not hear you mention his run.

I'd say ignore him. We all appreciate what it takes for you and Ron to VOLUNTEER to keep us informed.

Thanks to all of the volunteers, SCTA, Landsend Linda and Landracing.com for a great Speedweek!

BR

[/li]
      [li][/li]
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks guys[/list]

Offline desotoman

« Reply #359 on: August 20, 2018, 02:12:04 PM »
Hot Rod Magazine on the Hot Rod Trophy: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/463-038mph-dave-spangler-turbinator-ii-take-hot-rod-magazine-trophy-bonneville-speedweek-2018/

Modern journalism sucks.  Hot Rod's article sucks.  "We had about a half-dozen machines over 400mph aiming for the top spot..."  One-two-three-four-five-six.  "About a half-dozen" is GARBAGE!   How many, fool!  BTW, I quit reading after that.

Mike (Who has not purchased a copy of Hot Rod in 25 years or so)

Mike,

I don't understand where you are coming from??? I counted 5 cars going over 400 so IMO "about" is okay to say. What am I missing???

JMO,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.