Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2018: The developing story  (Read 161457 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: SpeedWeek 2018: The developing story
« Reply #330 on: August 18, 2018, 09:56:29 PM »
The Rons Hobby Shop race team is now back home in CT. We added some more MPH to our Ford Flathead records had to change an engine Sunday during the hottest time of the day five hours of fun. Slim and Ron we enjoyed your announcing when you had the info. The salt conditions were excellent even if the salt is not very thick overall we had a great time.   :cheers:         To those who decided to not attend thinking the salt would be poor like last year you missed out for sure what we were told was true conditions were great.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #331 on: August 18, 2018, 10:47:48 PM »
Sorry you were disappointed, Mike.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #332 on: August 19, 2018, 12:10:55 AM »
Yeah, disappointed...You'd think with the big budget and two professional radio guys on the air for 8 days straight we'd get our money's worth.  And, where were all the commercials like we get on station WUSS-FM ?
We wuz robbed !

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #333 on: August 19, 2018, 12:58:46 AM »
Mr. Slim and Mr. Ron (aka Ron & Jon),

I also was disappointed with the radio coverage/streaming..... :roll: I was disappointed that I couldn't carry around a computer connection to stay connected. :?

In reality, what I got to tune in on was fun to hear and THANKS to you both. Most folks have no idea what a hassle live announcing (no editing) can be and you guys did a great job! :-D

Hope everybody has a safe trip home.

Thanks again for the informative hours you spent on the microphone(s).

Slim, we be talkin' at your convenience, sir.

Kind Regards, :cheers:
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #334 on: August 19, 2018, 04:20:29 AM »
Mike, if you had read what I wrote on the 17th in a other thread here on Landracing.com, maybe you would have a better understanding..... :wink:

Sorry,

we are all (also the once who can't listen to the streaming) can be more than happy what Jon and Ron doing from their announcer box....

It's absolute impossible to get all numbers from all four courses....

very often the racers running on three courses to the same time ( I framed one day a picture with racers on course 1, 2 and 3...in the same moment)....what you will focus on...

So we have to accept that sometimes our favorite racer will be not announced.

Be happy what we get.

Hi, to all.  I'm not happy with the radio coverage during speed week.  On Sunday we made a 281 mile/hr. run and never was on air.  The people were more concerned on how much money they could save if they brought 100 hamburgers in town.  I spend a lot of time and money to run there and what happened not only to us but to other teams, should not have happened.  If you want the world to respect what we do you can't act this way.  Sorry to air this but I feel it had to be said. Mike
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:23:33 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #335 on: August 19, 2018, 08:56:52 AM »
I really enjoyed the broadcasts.  You went above and beyond this year.  Well done.

Joe

Offline MOSHIS

• New folks
« Reply #336 on: August 19, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
I listened to the live broadcast from home in Az.  It was like i was there in person.  Thank you for bringing it to us.  You both do an amazing job. 

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #337 on: August 19, 2018, 09:32:09 AM »
      Jon and Ron:

Thanks for all of the work to put on the broadcasts. Not too many years ago live streaming was only a conversation on this forum, you and Ron...and others made it happen. We had you on in the pit, the staging lane and a few trips to Crawford's Parts Store. You guys did a great job.
      Let's see:
      - You volunteer
      - Drive 25 hours to get to Wendover
      - 10 or more days on the salt with set up
      - 4 courses running simultaneously
      - 106 degree announcing studio
      - On generator power
      - Broadcast 8 hours a day for 8 days
      - People stopping by the booth all day asking for announcements
      - Broadcast heard around the world

And one guy gets his feelings hurt because he did not hear you mention his run.

I'd say ignore him. We all appreciate what it takes for you and Ron to VOLUNTEER to keep us informed.

Thanks to all of the volunteers, SCTA, Landsend Linda and Landracing.com for a great Speedweek!

BR

[/li]
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline BSTER

« Reply #338 on: August 19, 2018, 09:57:44 AM »
You guys did a great job Thank you very much

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #339 on: August 19, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »
  WheelerDealer, Well said. Thank you all for your hard work. LandsEnd Linda said she was doing it on three hours a nite sleep. [She has a real job]. Thanks again to every volunteer out there.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #340 on: August 19, 2018, 10:34:58 AM »
I've been in the "chicken coup" that Ron and Slim broadcast from.  There's a lot going on, but I can tell everyone that they do their darndest to get as much pertinent and timely information out to those listening as is humanly possible.

If a run gets overlooked, it's simply an oversight.

They do this without the help of a producer or "show runner", and with a disparate stream of information coming from numerous sources that are sometimes coming in simultaneously, sometimes incomplete, and occasionally wrong.

What we actually heard this week was real-time journalism - unedited, unscripted, as-it-happens, and real.

Given that they've been able to put together a week's worth of targeted programming heard around the world that is this compelling to fans of LSR, working in conditions that would drive lesser men to pack up and head for the hotel, and to do so with the minimal investment in equipment and technology that they have at their disposal, I think they should be nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.

Well done, boys.  :cheers:   
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #341 on: August 19, 2018, 11:34:07 AM »
Even Edward R Murrow could not have done a better job under those circumstances at Speed Week. Thanks, Jon & Ron.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #342 on: August 19, 2018, 11:46:26 AM »
I second all the remarks (less one) regarding the job done by Ron and Jon in their broadcast!  When we were there on Saturday and Sunday, we'd head for our car - or somebody's else's - awaiting word on the speeds.  After I got home, it was more of the same whenever I could stream the audio.  Without them we'd still be in the dark!  So, congrats to Ron and Jon once again for all their efforts and a job well done!

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline RichFox

« Reply #343 on: August 19, 2018, 12:10:24 PM »
Of course, everything I do is perfect. And I also noticed a less than my perfect standard, occasionally, in the web cast. Back in the 70s we never had this problem. On the other hand I was listening as much as I could and really, really, appreciate your efforts. Thank you very much. Small Donation sent.

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #344 on: August 19, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
I'll put my vote in for Jon and Ron, too. That is a really tough job and you did it really well. Of course you probably should have considering the astronomical salary you were paid. Maybe next time there could be a volunteer at the start of each course who could relay the vehicle number to you guys? Maybe some of us need to volunteer for that job next time. Will you guys be at BMST?