Author Topic: Looking for ride!  (Read 6186 times)

Offline V8stockcar

• New folks
Looking for ride!
« on: July 15, 2018, 01:06:43 PM »
Newbie to the salt looking to share a ride. I'm a long time racer out of FL with drag , stock car, and mostly road racing back ground.

Any help on finding a ride would be great!!

THanks,

Lee

239-269-1670

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
Re: Looking for ride!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 06:58:53 PM »
I assume you’re looking for a ride to Wendover. Only a guess here but most of us only give seat time to friends, family, crew members and proven land speed racers
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline V8stockcar

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 08:32:58 PM »
Looking to rent a seat for a pass or two on the salt. Thinking ex cup type would be great.

Offline V8stockcar

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 08:57:30 PM »
This is a bucket list type thing...don't need to set any speed records.

Looked at taking a speedway cup car and building a car for this as I have most everything needed for a build. But living in south FL and doing a one time
race weekend doesn't make a lot of since.

Open for ideas.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 09:25:13 PM »
This is a bucket list type thing...don't need to set any speed records.

Looked at taking a speedway cup car and building a car for this as I have most everything needed for a build. But living in south FL and doing a one time
race weekend doesn't make a lot of since.

Open for ideas.

A ride on the salt is not that simple lots of rules and speed steps to take.   Rent A rides are not common in this type of racing. 
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »
Every once in a while you see a ride promoted but as mentioned is rare. Ex Cup cars run Time Only (TO) as they aren't legal in any SCTA class ( and really can't be made so) but for your first wish would fit the bill. They still have to meet all the safety rules which can be a chore particularly if, for instance, cage diameter and thickness rules are not met ( a common issue taking ex racers from another sanctioning body) I have no knowledge about what a cup or similar car rules are in that respect. Taking one to build to run yourself not so much for the above reasons. Keslowskis have frequented Wilmington when we ran there and maybe now at the Arkansas site with ECTA though I don't know that for a fact.

Texas mile, Loring and Arkansas are closer, though not close to So. FL. Some rules/classes are different that might make your thoughts closer to reality.

As usual, plan is be safe, have fun. Good luck.

I have friend/crew member in Ocala, similar Drag (Funny car) and road race including SVRA experience and LSR also 2 club member. Has car he has been dragging feet finishing to go back ( I drove for him in the past)..  He'd probably be happy to chat with you. He wants to put much bigger motor in it than what I drove and I have suggested he might be on his own with that (though I have been faster than it should go.) Anyway, if you are interested, PM me and I will ask him if he would talk to you.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline V8stockcar

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 08:32:59 AM »
PM sent.

Time only would be fine.

BTW Cup cars are built like a tank and should pass tech with little problem. Back in 2009 ish at the PRI show in Orlando had a chat with a guy name Russ
that ran a Dodge Cup car on the salt. It was still mostly in NASCAR trim and ran just under 250 mph.

I think its the history of the salt that puts it on my list. Get my need for speed 1 or 2 times a year at Daytona.

Thanks for the tips jacksoni!!!

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 08:50:43 AM »
Tanks are good but if the armor is only 1/2" thick instead of the required 3/4", it won't pass tech.. LOL

Yes there have been occasional cup cars and such running, not saying they can't but they are particular about some things.

Speaking of tanks, I recall a tank engine powered lakester that showed up one year way back. Listening to it start up was something. Built into what I take to have been a rear motor dragster (well I think rear motor, has been long time). Pretty loosey goosey frame. They wouldn't let him run. Like I said the problem of rules in other sanctioning bodies and SCTA.  :dhorse:

I have notified my friend of your request. He is on this site often and will see your posts as well.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 11:35:08 AM »
There has been a cup type car that ran. I don't remember if it was at a USFRA meet or what? There were two NASCAR dodges that ran at a private meet. No sanction. ORT had the Tank motor in an old SCTA Lakester I heard they let Vesco take it for a tryout ride at 125. No good.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 10:56:29 PM »
There's been a number of Nascar-ish cars give it a shot over the years but they always seem to disappoint in the speed dept. The draft is kinda hard to find at Bonneville. :-D
  Sid.

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 04:20:46 PM »
The ECTA has a Class for Cup cars, SCTA-BNI Does Not.
It is in the Modified Category - Circle Track

https://www.ectamile.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/car-rules_1.pdf

Page 53...I do recommend reading the whole book if you decide to participate. Good Luck
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline V8stockcar

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 07:13:29 PM »
There's been a number of Nascar-ish cars give it a shot over the years but they always seem to disappoint in the speed dept. The draft is kinda hard to find at Bonneville. :-D
  Sid.

I've got a fix for that send more cars down the track at one time. I like drafting and passing :-D

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 10:08:21 PM »
If you're just looking for a few passes, maybe the 130 club at world of speed? Seems to me that is a pretty easy tech to pass.
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline V8stockcar

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 10:28:13 PM »
Is the World of speed the same week? My plan is to hit the salt then move west to Monterey car week.
Any other must do's out west in AUG. for car guys?

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 11:07:35 PM »
Ah. You have more plans for that week. World of speed is in September.

And you are well within the planning loop of most Bonneville racers.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:10:27 PM by mergatroyd »
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!