Author Topic: Motorized Bicycle on 130 Club Course, questions.  (Read 28511 times)

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
    • Motor-Assisted Bicycling
Re: Motorized Bicycle on 130 Club Course, questions.
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2018, 06:20:06 PM »
Making slow look good...
"Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live." Mark Twain (1884)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2018, 08:08:52 PM »
"The 47R is an amazing engine that could easily hold it's own in the 50cc class."

"Au contrare" (sp).

The El Mirage record (1.3 miles) for 50cc is 108 MPH.  Good luck on that one.  No, don't tell me the extra .3 makes a big difference.

Their slowest 50cc record (P/PV) {Penis/Penetrating Virgin or some other motorcycle mystic class} is 39+ MPH. It ain't easy my friend. 

Your only hope is to have someone running beside you tuning the carbonator.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »
"The 47R is an amazing engine that could easily hold it's own in the 50cc class."

"Au contrare" (sp).

The El Mirage record (1.3 miles) for 50cc is 108 MPH.  Good luck on that one.  No, don't tell me the extra .3 makes a big difference.

Their slowest 50cc record (P/PV) {Penis/Penetrating Virgin or some other motorcycle mystic class} is 39+ MPH. It ain't easy my friend.  

Your only hope is to have someone running beside you tuning the carbonator.
whoa...this is just good-natured bench racing, right? You wouldn't actually say that to someone running their old bike, would you?

I never said it would dominate, but this very 47R, without pipe, break-in, or good fuel, pulled this bike (and my 210 lbs) all day at 35-40mph...it wasn't geared near big as it could be, and as we already know this bike is a horrible LSR foundation. It's a centrifugal clutch, but it could be fairly easily adapted to a scooter CVT, in my opinion. And I know a guy put a lever on his mixture screw, cable-activated, he said it worked pretty well inside a small range. So...anyway...from now on I'll just stick to what we got going on this year. I sure didn't intend to stir up anything.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:14:56 PM by augidog »

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »
"This is However, how you break down the ratio in between the two is just basic physics, and something everyone here can relate to."

Augidog, I wish this were true. I don't think I convinced anyone in the bicycle community but myself.

John
ah...but every bicyclist has personal preference when it comes to standards styles brands... haven't you met at least a few avid cyclists who can make all the obvious correct choices but don't have a clue what's happening behind the curtain? They choose crank length but don't realize they're doing math, or that they're being mechanics. I can buy headsets or bottom brackets from professional shops by brand or style, but if I ask for something by thread size they don't usually know what I mean.

I would say over 95% of the bicycle community fit in that category. That is why it is so easy for them to adopt anything that comes along claiming to be the truth. Now, you don't have to be a mechanic to understand what is going on. In fact, it may be better if you are not a mechanic. Mechanics will argue to the death over benefits of long or short rod and same goes for long vs short cranks. I am kind of a data driven guy and where possible, will follow good data no matter where it leads.

John

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2018, 12:15:05 PM »
"This is However, how you break down the ratio in between the two is just basic physics, and something everyone here can relate to."

Augidog, I wish this were true. I don't think I convinced anyone in the bicycle community but myself.

John
ah...but every bicyclist has personal preference when it comes to standards styles brands... haven't you met at least a few avid cyclists who can make all the obvious correct choices but don't have a clue what's happening behind the curtain? They choose crank length but don't realize they're doing math, or that they're being mechanics. I can buy headsets or bottom brackets from professional shops by brand or style, but if I ask for something by thread size they don't usually know what I mean.

I would say over 95% of the bicycle community fit in that category. That is why it is so easy for them to adopt anything that comes along claiming to be the truth. Now, you don't have to be a mechanic to understand what is going on. In fact, it may be better if you are not a mechanic. Mechanics will argue to the death over benefits of long or short rod and same goes for long vs short cranks. I am kind of a data driven guy and where possible, will follow good data no matter where it leads.

John
I get that, and once you know you can't unknow. If you think mechanics can get into it, try having a detailed discussion with a computer tech sometime. The way of the world, I guess. And btw I meant nothing derogatory about bicycle professionals, was merely making an observation.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:17:00 PM by augidog »

Offline ggl205

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »
I would be interested in hearing from anyone experienced with high performance versions of these 50cc engines. Best I can find is the DeNardis 10+ hp 50cc water cooled, 2-cycle engine.

John

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »
I would be interested in hearing from anyone experienced with high performance versions of these 50cc engines. Best I can find is the DeNardis 10+ hp 50cc water cooled, 2-cycle engine.

John
you maybe already found this in a search "COBRA KING 50 SETS CLASS SPEED RECORD AT BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS"

We bought some VP Racing "C50" for the Tanaka. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but the specs are a perfect match.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2018, 08:18:07 PM »

John

An Aprilia 50cc was used in John and Eric's amazing 150 mph 50 cc streamliner.

http://www.geocities.ws/lucfoekema/Buddenbaum.html

https://bangshift.com/general-news/pint-sized-streamliner-coaxed-150-mph-miniscule-50cc-engine/

Sumner
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:19:40 PM by Sumner »

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2018, 08:42:33 PM »

John

https://bangshift.com/general-news/pint-sized-streamliner-coaxed-150-mph-miniscule-50cc-engine/

Sumner
maybe it's only on my Android tablet, but the geocities link is redirecting like a mofo.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2018, 08:54:41 PM »

John

Sumner

Hey, Sum:

I did see that Aprilla and it's encouraging it will take turbocharging. Augidog got me thinking about all this (but not taking time or treasure away from the lakester) so I began with the engine. Seems like there are two or three good contenders for power.

Holy smokes, I just saw the Parilla IAME 50cc stage 3 water cooled engine. 17.5 HP to the rear wheel!

John
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:24:15 PM by ggl205 »

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2018, 11:07:05 PM »

John

Sumner

Hey, Sum:

I did see that Aprilla and it's encouraging it will take turbocharging. Augidog got me thinking about all this (but not taking time or treasure away from the lakester) so I began with the engine. Seems like there are two or three good contenders for power.

Holy smokes, I just saw the Parilla IAME 50cc stage 3 water cooled engine. 17.5 HP to the rear wheel!

John
"more from less" is a whole 'nother world, and can be a lot of fun. I lived on this bike for 2 years, with a 40cc Tanaka "Pure Fire" (it has a real catalytic converter)...camped all over WA State, took the ferry to Alaska for a year, came back, rode Chuckanut Drive, and crossed the North Cascades. Prostate cancer put a stop to that, or I'd still be out there.

:cheers: happy Friday, all  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:23:58 PM by augidog »

Offline pappy

• New folks
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »
Augidog, did you get it out on the salt in the 130 Club last week?  How did it go?

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2018, 06:26:00 PM »
Augidog, did you get it out on the salt in the 130 Club last week?  How did it go?
hello, pappy, thank you very much for your guidance and support in tech! the bike held a consistent 43mph peak, as expected with our power-to-weight, and we are VERY pleased with the outing.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:28:35 PM by augidog »