Author Topic: Motorized Bicycle on 130 Club Course, questions.  (Read 28509 times)

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
    • Motor-Assisted Bicycling
Re: Motorized Bicycle on 130 Club Course, questions.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »
Bonneville has always been the place to find weird $hit, I'd say you & USFRA are keeping that alive!
yup! we know we can build and or buy any number of different vehicles, and have us some fun, but we purposely choose the limitations of " what is a motorized bicycle?"

And...we are early-motorcycle enthusiasts, the George A Wyman Memorial Project is our honorary sponsor. The earliest 200cc 2hp single-speed belt-drive "motor bicycles" topped out at about 30mph, and you had to help up hills by pedaling. My 32, which is what the bike runs in real life, perfectly captures that experience. We love this stuff.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:04:34 PM by augidog »
"Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live." Mark Twain (1884)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »
I don't think the 130 Club has classes – outside of being the 130 Club.  

You need to check tire requirements with the governing body.  They may be able to put a "speed limit" on you dependent on the tires you are using if you can't upgrade them to their preferences.  I understand they're a good group and will work with you and find a way for you to run.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »
I don't think the 130 Club has classes – outside of being the 130 Club.  

You need to check tire requirements with the governing body.  They may be able to put a "speed limit" on you dependent on the tires you are using if you can't upgrade them to their preferences.  I understand they're a good group and will work with you and find a way for you to run.
yeah, in 2008 they said anything over 60 on a "bicycle" they'd want to see tire ratings. This is the best option we could find to fit a 26" bicycle rim...the tire is actually a 22-2 moped. Tech is fully aware of our details, and so far we are approved. I think 60mph in the mile is about the best we can expect out of our 47cc engine.

For a long time, we've tried like heck to interest people in agreeing on an informal class for the fun of it...50cc & 35cc Motorized Bicycle "Milers" but so far no takers.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:06:43 PM by augidog »

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 04:16:30 PM »

Sorry I cannot help you on the Upgrade question to the 150 club course.

I hope you have downloaded the Motorcycle tech page from the USFRA's 130 club to make sure you have the right tires etc and have no problems in Tech.

IMO once you start testing I think you will find that one mile is more than you need to get to top speed if your gearing etc, is perfect. Let us know how it goes. Any pictures of the bike you could post?

Good luck with your project.

Tom G.
thanks, Tom. on paper, the engine specs and our choice of gearing puts us there...and now there's only one thing left to do, which is hit The Salt and see if we're right.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:19:12 PM by augidog »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 09:41:41 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tortoise

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 10:25:16 PM »
Is the rider's position so un-aero on purpose?

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 10:54:43 PM »
Is the rider's position so un-aero on purpose?
nope, but we're working with what we have to work with, which is my everyday road bike. It's very difficult to pedal and tuck with full leathers, so it is what it is...our affordable chance to have some fun. We do have a ZZipper fairing, I am redesigning the bracing for higher speed. See the stock photo below.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:40:02 PM by augidog »

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 11:10:27 PM »
Someone thoughtful PM'd me and asked about the integrity of our battery box mounting. There is 6061 aluminium bar stock inside, and ten 50lb zip ties. It's pretty doggone sturdy when you see it in real life.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 11:22:37 PM »
Maybe you should change the bars so you can do a "Rollie Free"! 8-)
  Sid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 11:43:03 PM »
Sid, if
It's very difficult to pedal and tuck with full leathers,
emulating Rollie Free would make pedaling even harder.   :cheers:

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 11:45:56 PM »
Maybe you should change the bars so you can do a "Rollie Free"! 8-)
  Sid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free
OMG I know! Early on we discussed some rear pegs, but voted against them...it could be pretty tricky (and risky) trying to relocate your feet to the pedals, which may or may not be slowly rotating in the wind.

I see that Mike gets it, we replied at the same time  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:50:19 PM by augidog »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »
But, but, but . . . what if you could PROVE that your skin is as thick as your leathers.  You could be air conditioned all the way!  Best of luck with an innovative entry.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »
But, but, but . . . what if you could PROVE that your skin is as thick as your leathers.  You could be air conditioned all the way!  Best of luck with an innovative entry.
why stop there? what if we bring an x-ray proving our riders skull is as thick as a helmet? weight is a serious issue with these low power levels. joking aside, though, I have to admit this contraption is ridiculously heavy. it looks like a bicycle, but rides like a light motorcycle.

I appreciate the encouraging words more than you might know... motorized bicycles have kind of a bad collective image, and only a very few of us care about that.

I want to say that in 2008 the two things I remember most is the respect given despite the "smallness" of our entry...and the thrill of those words "Augie, the course is yours." Our rider Jimmy Brackett is a good friend of mine, and this is really about giving him that same experience. That, and I'd sure like to be able to say "I built that 60mph beast!"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:53:37 PM by augidog »

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 03:45:23 PM »
Our Tanaka 47R factory-modified racing engine & pipe. Originally produced for power karts.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:05:43 PM by augidog »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 10:46:27 PM »
They have those reclining bike thingies :-o with pedals out the front, there's nothing that says you can't stick em out the back! The power stroke on the pedal would have a weight advantage.
  Sid.