Author Topic: Motorized Bicycle on 130 Club Course, questions.  (Read 28515 times)

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
    • Motor-Assisted Bicycling
Motorized Bicycle on 130 Club Course, questions.
« on: July 14, 2018, 02:02:25 AM »
We're approved and registered to run our "tri-brid" Motorized Bicycle on the 130 Club track.

Human powered bicycle
Bafang 1000W electric motor, bottom-bracket drive
Tanaka 47R 2-stroke engine, single-speed belt-drive

Our rider can pedal along with the electric drive up to about 25mph, at which point we throttle up the high geared single speed gas drive.

The electric will help the gas up to about 35mph, then it's all about whatever the 47R can do on it's own.

Assembly 95% complete, testing begins next week.

We have high hopes for our top speed, but we're wondering what happens if we discover that we need a second mile to achieve it?

Does anyone know if a team can pay the $100 and upgrade to the 150 Club course before or at the event? Our number plates are finished, so if we could upgrade, could we keep our number?

Thanks in advance for any info you care to share.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 12:53:58 PM by augidog »
"Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live." Mark Twain (1884)

Offline dw230

Re: Motorized Contraption on 130 Club Course, questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 10:04:49 AM »
Here is a thought. Ask the organizer, USFRA.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 10:27:20 AM »
Earlier in the year, Ellen at USFRA suggested this forum as a good place to talk about stuff like this. Probably as a way to help support the forum. Myself, I like forums, so...ok, let's do that.

I think she was under the impression that there were friendly helpful people here.

Sure, I can call Ellen and ask. When I do, I can tell her that recommending this place was a waste of breath, too.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »
Augidog, are you saying that was bad advice?  :?
Wayno

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 10:38:08 AM »
I'm approved and registered, i already said, so obviously I know I can call Ellen. Getting an anecdotal answer here, from someone who knows, would have been a pretty fun way to learn what I was after. Since it's a forum, and forums have their own pace, I was willing to wait for the chance to talk with folks in similar situations...maybe I actually chose this method for that reason.

Here's a thought. Don't be condescending to new forum members. Another thought. Don't bother carving out space for "World of Speed-specific stuff" if you're just going to steer people back to USFRA.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:08:02 AM by augidog »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 11:24:07 AM »
On a forum, you can get lots of answers to your questions.  Some may be right, some may not.  Showing up and being not able to compete has happened to racers in the past.  Maybe they got bad advice from the forum.  Let's have a vote on that.

Oh, and by the way, I believe you can compete in the 150 Club after you install a full roll cage.  Get welding.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 11:48:34 AM »
On a forum, you can get lots of answers to your questions.  Some may be right, some may not.  Showing up and being not able to compete has happened to racers in the past.  Maybe they got bad advice from the forum.  Let's have a vote on that.

Oh, and by the way, I believe you can compete in the 150 Club after you install a full roll cage.  Get welding.

Stan Back
thanks for the reply. we're running a low power low speed bike. 4hp 50cc single-speed, and our target is to break 60mph. our rider is compliant with motorcycle safety rules, and the bike is very well built. we are concerned we may need the first mile to reach top end, and then we can hold it for the second mile, and that's why I asked if anyone has ever upgraded by paying the $100 difference in fees.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:58:48 AM by augidog »

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 12:13:12 PM »
From USFRA's Dan Wright, 130 Club timing explained:

"As I understand it, there is a speed trap (usually 132' long) at the end of the mile.  Your speed is calculated by the time it takes to pass thru that 132' trap.
If they tried to use the whole mile, you would get an "Average speed" over the distance, not a "Top Speed" measurement.
So the club always uses a "Trap arrangement" where at the end of the runup area, you trip a light and then another 132' later you trip the exit light.Time spent between the lights is converted to a speed number."

So it looks like the perfect setup for our little project.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 12:35:38 PM »
You might start by  changing your title to "Motorized Bike on 130 Club Course"  we have seen lots of vech. on the 130 start line
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »
You might start by  changing your title to "Motorized Bike on 130 Club Course"  we have seen lots of vech. on the 130 start line
as a long time forum user, I have to agree I should use a more specific subject, and I appreciate the feedback. editing now...

PS: love the Helen Keller quote.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 12:59:30 PM by augidog »

Offline desotoman

Re: Motorized Bicycle on 130 Club Course, questions.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 02:34:47 PM »
We're approved and registered to run our "tri-brid" Motorized Bicycle on the 130 Club track.

We have high hopes for our top speed, but we're wondering what happens if we discover that we need a second mile to achieve it?

Does anyone know if a team can pay the $100 and upgrade to the 150 Club course before or at the event? Our number plates are finished, so if we could upgrade, could we keep our number?

Thanks in advance for any info you care to share.

Sorry I cannot help you on the Upgrade question to the 150 club course.

I hope you have downloaded the Motorcycle tech page from the USFRA's 130 club to make sure you have the right tires etc and have no problems in Tech.

IMO once you start testing I think you will find that one mile is more than you need to get to top speed if your gearing etc, is perfect. Let us know how it goes. Any pictures of the bike you could post?

Good luck with your project.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »
This two wheel is using electric and a gas power. There is no class for it so it is a time only vehicle. Should be interesting to see it.Good luck.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »
Our wheels are built by Jim "The Wheelmaster" Burkman in Auburn WA...Alex Rims downhiller rims, Sturmey Archer drum-brake hubs, 10G NOS "Hap Jones" motorcycle spokes, Continental KKS 10 moped tires.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:36:08 PM by augidog »

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 03:32:16 PM »
More, and a pic from 2018, when we used a simple bicycle with a 32cc, and attained 1mph per cc.

If it's ok to post a spam-free link, here's the thread: http://motor-assisted-bicycling.1062526.n5.nabble.com/Sabrina2-2018-Bonneville-Salt-Flats-Racing-Project-td5710782.html

We represented rather well in 2018, and breezed thru Tech. This version, same frame better wheels, is TONS safer, and we expect no problems.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:39:35 PM by augidog »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
Bonneville has always been the place to find weird $hit, I'd say you & USFRA are keeping that alive!