Author Topic: Salt Proofing  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Happy Pappy

Salt Proofing
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:41:07 PM »
Hey All,
Do you... or don't you?
If so can you help me with what works & how & when you apply?

thanks,
Chris
Chris Campbell
2017 #203 G/GR El mirage record 150.771
2020 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 180.828
6/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 185.488
9/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 194.450

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
Re: Salt Proofing
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 10:17:42 AM »
I  tried a  product couple years ago called u s a fluid, the vendor is at speed week. seems to work well. I dilute it with mineral spirits , and use a garden sprayer to drench underneath vehicle and trailer. salt still sticks a bit , but falls right off.  when I get home , I park both in the driveway and put sprinklers underneath em , and let it rinse all day . salt seems to be all gone. I then spray salt x over everything. I do live in a rural area and have a long gravel driveway and use well water. the deer and raccoons love licking the driveway

Offline Happy Pappy

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 10:31:03 AM »
LOL, yeah I saw that same product on the SCTA Web site just wondering if it works. Watching there video I would think a Hudson sprayer giving a nice wide pattern might be better under the truck. Looks like the piss stream they use just ends up on the ground?
Chris
Chris Campbell
2017 #203 G/GR El mirage record 150.771
2020 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 180.828
6/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 185.488
9/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 194.450

Blue

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »
I fog the underside of any vehicle going to the flats with WD-40, not always totally effective.  Two years back I found the second step of my process by accident: Fog the whole undercarriage, then immediately speed down a dirt road while it's still wet.  The dirt provides a barrier for the salt, while the WD turns to paste to protect the metal.  Soap and water at the local self serve wash took it all off, even in the crevasses.  Before I did the second step, we had chunks of stuff coming off months and many washes later.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 04:23:26 PM »
rent a truck and leave yours home. I've ruined 5 of them and no more. and today there is way too much electronics underneath....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »
I emptied a can of silicon spray under my truck one year, nothing stuck to it. It dep NDS on what the salt is like, it's been hard and dry the last few years and doesn't stick but it had been cakey for a while when I used the silicon, it worked perfectly.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 10:04:46 PM »
I spray all the suspension and undercarriage and wheel wells on the vehicle with Honey Goo, used to use fluid film but honeygoo sticks way better. I use it on the race bike too, especially around rear suspension and under the motor.

Race bike gets sprayed down with Salt X after every run. Just a cup in a garden sprayer goes a long way. Chains I used to throw away after 1 meet now last a lot longer. Soak them in ATF fluid when I get home.

Salt X:  spray everything again when I get home to kill the salt and spend a lot of time hosing everything down afterwards.

Electrical connections:  spray inside and out with Corrosion X so they don't go green. Very effective product. I also use this on all the bolt shafts, washers etc when I assemble the bike. Spray the carbs with this stuff to stop them getting eaten.

One thing I learned is never leave the race bike sitting on the salt overnight, always put it on a trailer and off the ground. Speedweek flooded out one year after a big storm and when we were  allowed back out on the salt after a couple of days, there were a few unhappy campers finding their beautiful race bike sitting in 18 inches of salt brine! Lovely!
Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 03:24:06 PM »
There only 2 ways of eliminating salt damage.
#1 Don't go..
#2 Rental car or truck..

That's it (from one who has sacrificed to many trucks to the salt gods) Oh yes, I'm comimg this year again with a rental from So Cal.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:25:39 PM by jimmy six »
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro