Author Topic: Oil Cooler Line Size  (Read 1429 times)

Offline sdroadster

Oil Cooler Line Size
« on: June 28, 2018, 06:39:50 PM »
I'm running a wet sump 359 Chevy engine that I expect will build excessive oil temp at Bonneville. I bought a remote oil filter plate, and mount that are threaded for #12 straight AN o-ring fittings. I screwed up and bought an expensive Earls Oil Cooler with #10 fittings. I have had some well intended advice to just plumb the whole filter and cooler system in #10. The logic being the oil return hole in the block is about 3/8, so the #10 hose is still bigger than the return. The #10 hoses will be easier to run through the chassis related obstructions, but I'm stressing about volumetric line loss, and pressure drop with the smaller hose and associated fittings. The last thing I need to do is oil starve this motor.. Any advice is certainly appreciated.  Yellow Studebaker #352   Thanks!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Oil Cooler Line Size
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 01:36:28 PM »
Even if you run the biggest oil pump you can find for a small block the max out put is probably less than 10 gpm (probably closer to 6 gpm) so the pressure drop for hot oil through a -10 line is about .2 psi per foot of hose so if you have 10 foot of hose you would have a 2 psi pressure drop, you can't even see that on a standard automotive pressure gauge.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline sdroadster

Re: Oil Cooler Line Size
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »
Thanks Rex, I guess I'm over thinking this line size issue. I bought some -10 fittings and braided stainless line today, so I'm on my way...