Author Topic: '78 Triumph Bonneville 750  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
'78 Triumph Bonneville 750
« on: June 28, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »
There -- that got your attention.  I'm checking out a tasty-looking 750 Bville here in town.  I'm ready to give up the Gold Wing and get a bike that's easier to ride around town.   We aren't likely to do much more touring, so this one could well be the bike.

Who knows the bike well enough to give me some moral support as I look at it?  Thanks.  PMs and emails are fine.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: '78 Triumph Bonneville 750
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 07:25:50 PM »
Jon, if that Bonneville is mechanically sound, just go get it! Some like the unique sound of a Harley but I love the unique sound of a Triumph twin. Wish I had one.

John

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 07:31:46 PM »
Not a question, John.  When I tell folks that I'm interested in the bike because I love the sound of a Triumph twin - they give me a funny look.  Then I go on and said I'd like a Ducati for the nice rattly clutch and an RC51 'cause the 90-degree V sounds super (and I can't afford the Duck anyway) and so on.

What's the matter with these folks? :? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 08:16:11 PM »
Not to wet blanket the situation....but don't you remember "British bike" oil lakes {not leaks, lakes} under every Enfield, Triumph, BSA. Every nut or bolt rattling loose in 40 miles. And then there is the "Lucas" inherent mystical, other spectrum misadventures. In my halcyon days, I have met and failed to deal with all these issues, both metric and British Wentworth. Seems like a Gold Wing would be hard to beat with a hope to get there Triumph. Only my 2 cents.
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 08:40:23 PM »
The 78 has the 750cc engine, a five speed transmission, rear disc brake, and left side shift, as I recall.  These were made by the worker's cooperative and are the better of the Meridan Bonnevilles for practical use.  They used US standard bolts, as I remember.  A good source of parts and info is baxter's Cycle in Marne, Iowa.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 08:57:29 PM »
You think he could get that far?

I love the looks, but the Honda has the reliability.  He might get stuck in some far-off place alone with Nancy for a few days.

I reconsider.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Buamotorsport

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 12:02:15 AM »
For what it is worth I had triumphs years ago and my brother in law has about 12 of them in various states of rebuilding. He has a 66 TR6 custom from new that it stunning. Ok....up to 1968 they had the “Brazed” frame and they sat slightly lower. From that point on they made the “oil in the frame” version. (the oil tank access was just under the front of the seat when lifted up).

The 68 and pre handled like a dream ....you could go “scratching” as we called it and it was comparing the rubber on the foot pegs to see how far you could get over. When they changed to the “welded - oil in the frame they became a handful to ride quick. Tank slappers where common.

The “unit” motors ie included the gearbox where much nicer than the “Pre Unit” motors. I did 30,000 miles on mine riding to the south of France on more than one occasion without any problems and mine never leaked. The best one I had was my 68 TR6 Trophy single carb. A Brilliant piece and I regret selling mine.

I’m not sure if they changed the stroke pattern on the later ones. But ride it..see what it’s like. Parts for them here are still easy to get. If is not a tourer that’s for sure. But if you want to go for ‘brap’ (the sound they make” then it’s a great piece. I can always assist if you need gaskets or pieces that need replacing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:03:53 AM by Buamotorsport »

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 01:09:25 AM »
... British Wentworth...
Any relation to Whitworth? I've got a nephew who's been into Brit bikes forever. He boasts of even having a set of left-handed Whitworth taps and dies!

Did Triumph have electric start in '78?

Slim- you do realize that by posting this in the "Non LSR" forum, that you are sworn to never be seen on a course with that bike... :-D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:16:00 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 01:22:56 AM »
Girls and boys, I'm trading the 160k-mile Gold Wing (of which I put 159,997 miles on the odo, the dealership did the rest) that I don't ride more than a few hundred miles a year -- for a spiffy-looking ride that I might ride a few hundred miles a year.

The bike's present condition is such that I have already apologized to the (current) owner that the bike will almost certainly never look this clean again if I buy it.  I wondered if the scoot had ever been off the show floor - it's that clean and pristine.

It's 1 in the morning and I've gotta go drive some radioactive stuff around the U P so I'll hang up for now.  Thanks for the comments, gents.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 03:37:23 AM »
Jon, you have a Kawasaki ZX12 right?, I have a ZX12 also  :-) ,, I also had a 78 Bonnie, wish I had never sold it  8-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
Yes, I've got the 12, but that's race only.  I've got Nancy's 14 Bville bike and I license that -- but it's kinda difficult to ride on the street... :roll:

I'll see if I can get a pic of the proposed two wheeler.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com