Author Topic: Wind Shield visibility  (Read 8282 times)

Offline gidge348

Wind Shield visibility
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:16:03 PM »
Hi just wondering if someone can help me, I've been reading the rule book and just looking for a little clarification. A couple of years ago the Honda factory streamliner team got knocked back at Bonneville with concerns about visibility from the car. The rules state that "...shall provide 120 degrees of adequate vision forward". I read this as horizontal vision in other words 60 degrees to the left and 60 degrees to the right, that's all fine. I guess because we are getting lower and lower into the car the distance forward to where we can see the salt is getting further away over the front body work.

My question is, "Is there a mandated vertical angle or visible distance in front of the car that we have to achieve?"

Cheers
Ian...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Wind Shield visibility
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 09:20:27 PM »
Take some pictures and send to the SCTA car inspectors in the rule book or the SCTA web site.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 12:50:29 AM »
Hi just wondering if someone can help me, I've been reading the rule book and just looking for a little clarification. A couple of years ago the Honda factory streamliner team got knocked back at Bonneville with concerns about visibility from the car. The rules state that "...shall provide 120 degrees of adequate vision forward". I read this as horizontal vision in other words 60 degrees to the left and 60 degrees to the right, that's all fine. I guess because we are getting lower and lower into the car the distance forward to where we can see the salt is getting further away over the front body work.

My question is, "Is there a mandated vertical angle or visible distance in front of the car that we have to achieve?"

Cheers
Ian...

The short answer is there is nothing in the rules that mandate how close you need to see in front of the car... You need to be able to see the  course markers...  and the course
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline gidge348

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 06:03:47 AM »
Cheers thanks guys.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 09:08:16 AM »
Also, don't forget the horizontal angle. If too shallow, you will have trouble seeing clearly through normal distortion of a perfect sheet of polycarbonate.

John

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 12:18:50 PM »
John said:   "... If too shallow, you will have trouble seeing clearly through normal distortion of a perfect sheet of polycarbonate."

And when you're in line to make your return run on a nice sunny Bonneville morning -- the low sun angle coupled with a wrong-angled windscreen will probably make the return run not quite so fun... :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gidge348

Wind Shield visibility
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 10:57:29 PM »
Thanks for that guys, just did some calculations on how far in front I can see the salt and it looks like about 11.5 metres or about 38 feet in front. So if the car is doing say 250mph it will cover the 38 feet in 0.09 seconds, so if something is in that space there is no way I can react miss it. Visibility forward of that should be fine.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 12:08:07 AM »
Thanks for that guys, just did some calculations on how far in front I can see the salt and it looks like about 11.5 metres or about 38 feet in front. So if the car is doing say 250mph it will cover the 38 feet in 0.09 seconds, so if something is in that space there is no way I can react miss it. Visibility forward of that should be fine.

Yep... got to watch out for those course markers that jump in front of you....  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 08:26:45 PM »
Don’t forget to use “windscreen quality” lexan. It will be less wavy. I did not. I’ve been paying the price ever since. Transition at the base of the windshield is probably more important than angle itself.

Rob Freyvogel
AA/BFS
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »
So if the car is doing say 250mph it will cover the 38 feet in 0.09 seconds, so if something is in that space there is no way I can react miss it. Visibility forward of that should be fine.

Moles?
Prairie dogs?
Migrating Lemmings?

Sorry - once Stainless referred to lane markers my tiny mind went off on a tangent.

john
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 04:39:57 PM »
Some of us can see better than the rest of us.  This reminded me of a great "story" which I only remember the essence of (can't remember the specifics) . . .

After a multi-hundred MPH run, Don Vesco once reported that "There's a Diet Pepsi can on the course at the 4-1/2."
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 03:38:25 PM »
It is amazing how much damage a course marker (bollard) can do at 250!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 08:30:32 PM »
I can only attest to the amount of damage done by hitting a course marker at 200. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com