Author Topic: Fuel line routing  (Read 5485 times)

Offline RebekahsZ

Fuel line routing
« on: June 27, 2018, 12:18:35 AM »
I have read the fuel line routing portion of the ECTA rule book, and now I'm trying to thoughtfully apply the rules to my specific car.  I have a 240z which is uni-body.  At the 240z factory, they routed the fuel and brake lines at the top of the transmission tunnel, which while being safe against a speedbump, is not safe against a driveline failure.  So, how to re-route it?  The floor is flat, other than the trans tunnel and I feel like routing the AN10 fuel lines along the flat floorpan leaves them kind of vulnerable to scrapes.  Plus, the new Blytheville track pit area has some terrible high spots in the concrete where a low race car could high-center and trash a fuel line run along the floor.  There really aren't any frame rails on a 240z , although there is a sub-frame with kinda-sorta frame rails that are made out of fairly thin sheetmetal.  For power, I plan to run a 4.8LS GM  V8 engine with a turbo charger (or two) located between the engine and the radiator support. Transmission is a T56 with an Quicktime SFI bellhousing.  Driveshaft has a driveshaft loop.

My plan is to run hard fuel lines along the bottom of the flat floor (pretty much centered between the trans tunnel and the rocker panel) with a short flex line attaching the hard line to the fuel tank/cell.  Then, I'm gonna pass into the engine compartment outside the subframe "frame rail", which thereby routes the fuel line thru the rear of the inner fender (makes the fuel line vulnerable in the event of a front tire failure). 

Then:
Can I locate any fuel line, and/or my pressure regulator, on the firewall (or is the firewall considered to be in-line with the bellhousing), then jump forward with flex line to the fuel rail?

Or:
Do I have to run the fuel line forward along the inner fender (past the hot headers) to the radiator support, then jump across the plane of the hot turbocharger and downpipe, and serpentine belt to the frame rail?

Honestly, it makes the most sense to me to run the fuel line inside the subframe (but outside the trans tunnel), then up the firewall, where the regulator will be located, and to trust the $600 SFI scattershield to do its job of clutch containment to provide fuel line protection. 

Any advice on how to best get an AN10 fuel line from the tank (in the back of the car) to the fuel rail?

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
Re: Fuel line routing
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »
You can call 520 591 6318 , STEVE , we can talk about what I look for  during inspections concerning fuel lines..

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »
When I inspected I was told if  the fuelline passed by a planetary gear or by the clutch---anything that requires a scatter shield---  put the line inside of a .120 wall tube round or square at least 6" on for at least 6"on either side of the danger zone---This may have changed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:05:07 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline QikNip

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 02:22:15 PM »
FWIW, I had a similar issue when I built my C/PRO car. In addition the fuel line routing was so circuitous that putting it a "pipe" was impossible. To satisfy the rule I fashioned a 1/4" steel shield that covers the line in front of, and beyond the plane of the flywheel / clutch. It's been inspected (and passed) multiple times.
Rick
138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record
142.443 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.0 Mile Record
156.343 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.5 Mile Record