Author Topic: push start comminication  (Read 5634 times)

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
push start comminication
« on: June 26, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »
been out a bunch practicing push offs with my streamliner - dead engine - no battery - no fuel in vehicle - remote area - no help - up to 60 mph. to check steering - brakes - straight line driveability - etc . so far all good.  have been using a hand held two way radio to communicate with my pusher. I know that wont fly on the salt. what ,if any , type of radio does anyone else use . to communicate with their pusher . road bikes use all types of radios to talk to each other . is this  o k  under your helmet . would have to be voice activated , wireless . or am I over thinking this ? and just push and go .  thanks for any info    bob

Buamotorsport

Re: push start comminication
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »
Personally, we start the motor..check oil pressure etc then it’s off we go ....up to 40, engage clutch and hit the gas. Just like the old Top Fuel dragsters started.

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 07:31:46 PM »
ya , maybe it was just the first couple times getting pushed off ,was nice to be in contact with my pusher man . probably after getting used to how it operates will get a system down like you have . we all have a first time. thanks

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 12:43:58 AM »
The race driver makes all the decisions, he leaves the push truck not the other way around. At that time the pusher can get off it & turn out. If the driver doesn't like something he can turn out while being pushed.
I've pushed a few cars where the driver was not focused & was wandering, not a good situation. You don't want to be chasing the muther around out there!
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
I am with Sid---we count 1001, 1002, 1003 1004 and put the car into gear at around 1005 and nail the throttle--- that is when our eng 1500 RPM idle speed comes close to matching low gear car speed. That was all determined by how fast the car will accelerate by it's self.

What ifs should be determined in advance. 

The push truck driver has a big responsibility until the car is off the truck......
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 10:21:42 AM »
we experimented with a few things even using a cell phone blue tooth set up in my helmet.   It really is more trouble than its worth.  Once you have a driver and pusher with some experience its pretty unnecessary.

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:34:38 AM »
thanks all , ( tom burkland- your reply was much appreciated ) sounds like practice makes perfect .     bob

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »
Teach your wife to drive the push truck......mine pretends shes pushing me off a cliff and the go speeds are perfect. 35-40 @ EM, 50-60 @BV
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »
Our rule is – when you think you can go faster than the push truck, leave.

We recommend not using a stick-shift pusher.  They sometimes give unwanted results.  Unfortunately, we don't follow our own recommendations.

(It would be great if ORB could post his famed "chase" in video or stop-action format.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jdincau

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 01:04:03 PM »
Our rule is – when you think you can go faster than the push truck, leave.
I will second that
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Online jacksoni

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 04:07:42 PM »
And if you work at it the announcers will say it looks like the push truck is trying to get a time slip too. Of course you know how I know that...... :| :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 05:07:41 PM »
Here's another tip that's really desirable for pushing long skinny cars. Mounting the push bar to the left chassis rail centers the race car in front of the driver & I also have a piece of plastic pipe that sticks up in line of sight to give an accurate center.
Back in the one course Betsy days, one pass would entail 16 to 20 miles on the push truck & one SW we made 14 passes & went through two tanks of gas in the truck. :-P
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 12:59:11 AM »
we tape a fork or spoon the  push truck's hood that lines up with the center of the rear tire on Ms Liberty
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »
Where's Mike when we need him?

Here's just a shot of what can go wrong.  I believe our friend Ray the Rat took it.  The push truck driver didn't do anything wrong.  He's just trying to get away.  I'm not being unkind to One-Run Bob – he sent me the picture.

I was close to the starting line shooting some pictures when Ray came up behind me and said, "I'm going back to the truck."  The sun was hard on him, his health was failing.

I said, "Ray, you can't leave now.  Look who's on the line!"

Ray said, "Who's that?"

"One-Run Bob!"

"Whadaja mean?"

"Just pay attention."

It was worth the wait.  I was going click . . . . click.  Ray was going click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click with his better equipment and much superior talent.

Take alook – if I can post this . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 12:05:45 AM »
on my big truck I mounted a camera pointing down on the push bar,  Always cracks me up when someone is trying to help by telling us how close we are to the car and the truck driver is looking at the stereo and ignoring them.  Its pretty hard to see the actual car from in the truck till it pulls away.  Course we only push about ten feet.