Author Topic: Fred Vance has died  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Fred Vance has died
« on: June 20, 2018, 02:54:12 PM »
Fred Vance, the Texas dude that's held dang near all the records in 1350 cc bikes at one time or another, has died.  I don't have all of the details but will post them as I find out.

Rest in Peace, Fred.  Damn.  Another one. . . :cry:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Fred Vance has died
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:59:33 PM »
shocking news.....what a lost of a great man off and on the track...Fred, I will miss your friendship over all the years at the salt.....R.I.P. my friend
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »
Fred died this morning  at age 74 after a short illness. He had suffered a stroke a few years ago but recovered quite well except for his speech. As a result he retired from his storage/rental business and had continued racing with rider Brenda Sue. Their last race was the Texas mile last November. His wishes were for no service, if I hear of anything different I will post. Fred started racing at Bonneville in 2008 and fell in love. He made multiple trips in the following years and conquered the 1350cc class. At one time he held all nine unblown records, the only person to ever do so. I am proud to have been his racing partner. With a great sense of humor and gentle demeanor he was great fun. He and Bob Sellers can now wear their 2-club hats at the great racetrack in the sky.  Rest in Peace Fred, you had a good run.   :cheers:

Offline Frank06

Re: Re: Fred Vance has died
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »
Fred died this morning  at age 74 after a short illness. He had suffered a stroke a few years ago but recovered quite well except for his speech. As a result he retired from his storage/rental business and had continued racing with rider Brenda Sue. Their last race was the Texas mile last November. His wishes were for no service, if I hear of anything different I will post. Fred started racing at Bonneville in 2008 and fell in love. He made multiple trips in the following years and conquered the 1350cc class. At one time he held all nine unblown records, the only person to ever do so. I am proud to have been his racing partner. With a great sense of humor and gentle demeanor he was great fun. He and Bob Sellers can now wear their 2-club hats at the great racetrack in the sky.  Rest in Peace Fred, you had a good run.   :cheers:
RIP Fred...

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

E-Racer

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 07:35:00 PM »
I had the pleasure of going back and fourth with Fred a few times. We both had Alaskan Malamute dogs so were able to laugh and commiserate with each other. He was one of the good ones.

RIP Fred.

Pete

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 09:19:32 PM »
RIP Fred. I always enjoyed seeing you and your team on the salt. You were one of the greats that helped others be able to enjoy racing.

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »
GodSpeed Fred...
Yes the stroke slowed your communication abilities a little, but your friends still knew what you were trying to say.  It was always good to see you on the salt... you always had that spark in your eyes and the desire to help others race.  You will be missed by many of us my friend.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 11:23:32 AM »
I've settled down a bit now and can talk about Fred.  Dang, I'll miss him, just like so many others.  I've got pics of him leaning into my truck with his brand new red hat, and leaning into my truck all busticated after he went down the day before at the salt.  Pics of him with Nancy and with me and with --

Dammit, another great fella gone.  Rest in peace, my friend.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online sabat

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 12:04:34 PM »
RIP Fred.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
Sabat, thanks for the picture....it was my pleasure to frame Fred that day after he picked his red hat...big smile...
RIP Fred.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 03:38:00 PM »
Fred is one of those guys I wish I woulda known personally.  He sure seemed to be a good fellow based on the posts he made.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 06:50:18 AM »
I first met Fred at Loring in 2011when I first campaigned my B50 APG bike, about a "weave" I was getting.  He was able to solve my problem.  After that, we had discussions at every meet from Loring to Bonneville - - lately without words - - but we still were able to  communicate as one racer to another.  It was heartbreaking to see a man whose knowledge was so vast, but it was trapped inside him. He will be sadly missed.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »
There will be a celebration of Fred's life. Go to his Facebook page for details.  LSL