Author Topic: new body class - I/GT  (Read 24638 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: new body class - I/GT
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »
If you want to do something for GT let them have power adders on the engs

A Blower or turbocharger is a "power adder" and is perfectly legal...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »
Hi, Gang -

Any word on this rule proposal for 2019?  The SCTA was supposed to have met Saturday, and while the FB post indicated race dates for 2019 at Elmo, I'm seeing no announcement on any rule changes on the website or on FB.

Thanks.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jdincau

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »
Chris,
     Rules change committee votes are recommendations to the board, rule changes are voted on at the next board meeting (Jan.) so you won't see anything till after that.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
Chris, remember all rule changes not involving safety are there to give someone (or someone's buddy) an advantage or put them at a disadvantage...  :wink:

It is not about the I class motor size.... my guess it involves one of the other motor sizes... anyone know who proposed the change and what they are running  :?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
Chris, the rules committee did indeed meet this past Saturday. The clubs did vote to add the new class.
The process now goes to the SCTA board in January. The board takes the recommendations of the committee and either accepts or denies the change.
That's how the process works.  :-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 11:27:37 AM »
Thanks, Mike.

No, I get it, and truth be told, I have no issue with an in-between class.  My concern is that they're cautious about executing the change in a way that fundamentally changes GT from what it's been for years.  

If GT goes back to original engines, you've eliminated half of the LS powered 'vettes, Donney's SAAB, my car, bob Siorna's Gullwing Benz becomes ineligible - and with the possible exception of Ferraris and Lamborghinis, nothing will be fast enough or have few enough seats to take a record against the current record holders under the current rules.  The whole class gets neutered and becomes frozen in amber.

I really don't think that's the direction the SCTA wants to go.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:29:35 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 11:44:14 AM »
They could move all the non-stock motor cars to /IGT and leave the stocks in /GT...
Are there any?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
They could move all the non-stock motor cars to /IGT and leave the stocks in /GT...
Are there any?

Likely so, but think about it - The records stay with the class.

If you're running an iron block C motor '68 vette c/gt against a record holding '68 vette c/gt with an LS engine and the class allows no aero mods, how are you ever going to get that record?

The records in the class are already built out PAST what factory engines in the class can achieve. 

Offline dw230

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 01:09:51 PM »
Chris,he new

Records will follow the car. A car that is a current GT record holder but now does not qualify due to an engine swap will become the new IGT record holder.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »
So Dan - how does the rule committee propose to investigate who ran what motor in any given year a record was set?

Think about this -

Tom Donney took the I-GT record at WOS this year.  He did it with a swapped engine.

I had the record before with a destroked stock engine.

What you're proposing would imply that Tom would now have the record in a class he didn't run in or build for, lose a record he legally won, and I would get my record back?

Is there a precedent for this?

Dan, I really think this sounds like a worm can.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
When they split up the X and XX classes into Xf and X0 they did the same thing, Again when they went to Blown classes instead of being in XX. As far as I know it worked out fine. I guess some people may have felt left out.I don't know who. SCTA managed it just fine.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
So Dan - how does the rule committee propose to investigate who ran what motor in any given year a record was set?

Think about this -

Tom Donney took the I-GT record at WOS this year.  He did it with a swapped engine.

I had the record before with a destroked stock engine.

What you're proposing would imply that Tom would now have the record in a class he didn't run in or build for, lose a record he legally won, and I would get my record back?

Is there a precedent for this?

Dan, I really think this sounds like a worm can.

Nothing to do with the actual post but IM confused as to why a record can be set at the WOS event against a record set at Speedweek during the month of August. Seems to me theres no similarity's to the weather conditions between the two events due to the time of year each event is held.  We all know how difficult it is to run in August but thats the holy grail event setting a record in August is a huge accomplishment doing the same latter in the season all things considered seems easier to a point.  Looking at the speeds run at the WOS event by identical vehicles running at Speedwek the speeds are much greater at the WOS event. Seems like apples and oranges to me just saying.
 Ronnieroadster
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:15:48 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »
The USFRA and BNI share records and certifications.

When BNI runs in October, those times are also included.

Personally, if you don't like crowds, the smaller USFRA event is the way to go.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »
How about sticking all the gas/fuel roadster's that are a 1/16" off the ground in the Improved G/F roadster class. That makes more sense for us traditional guys????  :dhorse:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 07:02:45 PM »
Comments . . .

Bonneville Records are Bonneville Records.  El Mirage Records are El Mirage Records – set at any of the six meets they (try) to run every year.  There are climate and other condition changes at El Mirage from meet to meet.

Setting a Bonneville Record at the USFRA meets can (and has) lead to less scrutiny of intricate class requirements.  This has happened.

And then there's Muroc Records.  Maybe someone can tell me why they ran 1.5 miles instead of the El Mirage's 1.3 miles.  Well, some now have a "lifetime" record.  Seems they could have had a Dry Lake Record category that would have covered both and added legitimacy to both venues.  (The NHRA allows you to break their national records at any course, right?)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records