Author Topic: new body class - I/GT  (Read 24770 times)

LittleLiner

Re: new body class - I/GT
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2019, 02:16:44 AM »
I know this topic is getting old but thought it would be better to chime in here instead of starting a new thread.  I have sent my questions to the SCTA rep but while I wait for a response I thought it might be worthwhile to see if anyone on here has any insights on this.

I have regained my garage space and can (hopefully ) get back on track with a build.  I am considering trying to build for one of the smaller Modified GT classes.  Looking at the rules left some doubt about a few things . . .

1. For front engined cars in /MGT - Is there an engine setback allowance? 2%?, 25%?  50%?   The rules say (at least for front engined cars in Modified GT) - ". . . The driver shall sit completely ahead of the rear axle, inside the body, and behind the engine . . . "  and  " . . No change can be made to the driver's location as originally designed and the driver is seated behind the engine . . ."   The only restriction I can find in the rule book concerning engine setback is in Section 3.E Driver's Compartment page 44 " . . . Cars with front engines shall have the rear of the flywheel housing forward of the drivers knees. . . ."  So I guess the question is - For a front engined /MGT car may the engine be setback as long as the rear of the flywheel housing is ahead of the drivers knees with the driver in the original position?

2.  Removing the windshield is permitted in /MGT for open convertibles.  I can't find a definition for "an open convertible."  I guess for something like an MG Midget which comes with a fixed windshield and a soft top you can remove the windshield along with the top.   But, what about a different body?  Something like a Porsche 914 or a Pontiac Fiero or a Honda Del Sol that had a removable panel over the driver compartment?  Targa Top?  On those cars can the windshields be removed?

3. Must the drive axle have a ring and pinion?  The rule book says . . "Any type rear-end differential may be used."  It doesn?t say it "must be used", or it "shall be used".   If a differential is not used is it allowable to drive the axle with a chain and sprocket? Or, if I replace the ring gear with a sprocket and drive the differential with a chain is that allowed?

4.  If the grille is removed can the opening be filled or not?  The rules say two things about the grille opening. - ". . . Bumpers, grilles and front lights may be removed and the opening created may be filled or covered. . . " and ". . . Blocking the airflow thru the radiator in front or behind is not allowed." . .  So which is it?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:26:15 AM by LittleLiner »