Author Topic: new body class - I/GT  (Read 24713 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: new body class - I/GT
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2019, 08:04:22 AM »
Seems like the new class is more a mix of Altered (can cover headlights, grill etc) and Comp Coupe (belly pan) than Gas Coupe. As far as I know, Mark, when going from production to one of the modified classes, you can do ALL of the requirements though doing only one is sufficient to get you into the new class.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2019, 09:48:55 AM »
Mark, what this tells me is that Chris should be working on a belly pan to streamline the underside of the midget as well as maybe lowering to limit the air going under. 
Since you've been taken out of GT.... you guys need to take advantage of what's available...

...was the grenade a swap motor or was it available in the Midget.
 :cheers:

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2019, 10:36:05 AM »
Seems like the new class is more a mix of Altered (can cover headlights, grill etc) and Comp Coupe (belly pan) than Gas Coupe. As far as I know, Mark, when going from production to one of the modified classes, you can do ALL of the requirements though doing only one is sufficient to get you into the new class.

That is what I thought, but I was asking to be certain.

Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2019, 10:51:31 AM »

Mark, what this tells me is that Chris should be working on a belly pan to streamline the underside of the midget as well as maybe lowering to limit the air going under. 
Since you've been taken out of GT.... you guys need to take advantage of what's available...

...was the grenade a swap motor or was it available in the Midget.

The "Grenade" was an original engine, destroked to comply with class displacement regulations.

Engines of that type were built by the factory for Formula Junior racing in the early 1960's.   Not many made, therefore very rare and valuable for Vintage road racing in Europe.   VERY EXPENSIVE because of that.   But they are "reproduced" using the same methods the factory used to originally build them.

Although the MM might be competitive initially in the I/IGT class, (like if nobody else shows up . . . ),  Chris would need to go "all in" at some point to remain "competitive".   I, of course, leave that decision to him, but an aerodynamically better body choice would win out over the Midget, eventually.   What that might be?   Who knows?

If this IGT engine swap decision had presented itself earlier, perhaps a different engine might have been chosen for the "transplant" . . . . .

Thanks for all your input guys.   It is appreciated.

M

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2019, 11:03:45 AM »
I am not sure how the new class affects you and sincerely hope I see the Midget on the salt. SW2019 would be ideal as I will be coming over this year.  My second car was a MkI MG Midget so I have a soft spot.

Anyway - not sure what the class rules 'allow' but this seems like a good body change and it was a commercially available conversion. In fact I just searched for Sebring and Silverstone (other Spridget mods) and found that some are back in production so should be easy to get proof for production numbers and looks like better aero  :?  http://www.ashleygt.co.uk/  :cheers:
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2019, 11:18:24 AM »
Pretty slick!

(Probably need a sunroof for Chris to see out of.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2019, 12:47:31 PM »

The "Grenade" was an original engine, destroked to comply with class displacement regulations.

Engines of that type were built by the factory for Formula Junior racing in the early 1960's.   Not many made, therefore very rare and valuable for Vintage road racing in Europe.   VERY EXPENSIVE because of that.   But they are "reproduced" using the same methods the factory used to originally build them.

Although the MM might be competitive initially in the I/IGT class, (like if nobody else shows up . . . ),  Chris would need to go "all in" at some point to remain "competitive".   I, of course, leave that decision to him, but an aerodynamically better body choice would win out over the Midget, eventually.   What that might be?   Who knows?

If this IGT engine swap decision had presented itself earlier, perhaps a different engine might have been chosen for the "transplant" . . . . .

Thanks for all your input guys.   It is appreciated.

M

Well Chris may be the I/GT record holder now... Since his was an original engine.... stroke change is not a swap, and the new guy may be in I/IGT I guess we will see how Dan and the guys sorted that out. 
Dan, got any insight?  8-)
For sure the new engine puts him in I/IGT but a lot can be done to be competitive...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline dw230

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
First of all, lets get on the same page. The class is called Modified GT, /MGT. My suggestion for a name, Improved GT, /IGT did not pass the
sniff test.

A displacement change for Chris with an OEM engine still keeps him in the GT class. The belly pan was not my idea. I championed for a step pan but was out voted.

Apologies to Jim Dincau.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2019, 06:35:25 PM »
I believe Chris' new engine is a swap – from the same company, but not an option for the car in GT.  This used to be legal in GT, but it now appears to change the vehicle to MGT (where his combo would not have a lot going for it).

I could be wrong – you guys know that.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2019, 09:02:19 PM »
Stan, my point, whether presented correctly or not was the original Midget was class legal for the new GT description so maybe it should be listed as the record holder in I... and the new Midget is class legal in MGT, but he could do more to go faster.
Better  :|  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2019, 03:25:07 AM »
Here is a link to Gary Gray's FaceBook page, which has some more information about what has happened in I/GT and the new I/MGT.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.gray.9828/posts/2419449534795287?comment_id=2562906990449540&reply_comment_id=2568123116594594&notif_id=1551124685318346&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

You might need a FB account to view the thread, and you will certainly have to expand some of the replies to see all the comments.

Offline Bruno

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2019, 11:40:00 AM »
Link is broken 🤨

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »
Link is broken 🤨

The link only works if you have a FaceBook account, and you must sign in to FB as well.

Sorry, not my deal, more F/book f***ery courtesy of Mark Zuckerberg . . . .

Offline jdincau

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »
Apparently Gary only shares this content with his friends so even if you are a Facebook user you cant view it.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2019, 01:18:33 PM »

Apparently Gary only shares this content with his friends so even if you are a Facebook user you cant view it.

Jim,

Of course you are right!   My bad.

My apologies to everyone who tried to use the link.

:dhorse:
Stupidyboy
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 01:21:41 PM by fordboy628 »