Author Topic: Water injection for Blown Gas Coupe(BGC) class  (Read 3436 times)

Offline biglady112

Water injection for Blown Gas Coupe(BGC) class
« on: June 02, 2018, 12:24:17 AM »
For the turbocharger setup I want to put together, I am thinking I do not want to run an intercooler. I have run hotpipes in drag racing as well as street use applications before. Generally they are with methonal or E85.

Obviously I need to  cool the air temperatures down and I cannot think of a better way than to just use water. I do not see anything in the rule book that stated it cannot be done in a Gas class. Is this a viable option or will it somehow move me to a Fuel class?

Any help is appreciated as this will determine quite a few design paths.

Thanks in advance.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Water injection for Blown Gas Coupe(BGC) class
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 01:36:04 AM »
Tech will need to verify it is only water then seal the tank just like the fuel tank.
  Sid.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »
Tech will need to verify it is only water then seal the tank just like the fuel tank.
  Sid.

We ran water injection in BGCC with Hooley's Stude when it had a roots blower.  Took water bottle out from the store with the caps still in place and broke the cap seals in front of an inspector.  They had us drink a little out of each bottle and then filled the tank and they sealed it like Sid mentioned.

I'm sure the water injection helped us some but I can't imagine it working anywhere near as well as a good ice water intercooler.  Also most street water injection systems people use they also put a little alcohol in and yes that would put you in the fuel class, so straight water only.

Sumner

Offline biglady112

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »
I intend on building a compound turbo setup. It is already going to be complicated and cramped and having a large water system for an intercooler is a pain. I have helped with two salt cars that used 10-15 gallon systems. I figure cram a ton of water down its throat and get after it.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:05:02 PM »
I think it has value as to getting the charge temp down.
The remaining questions: what will such a large volume of water do to combustion, and how much air will it displace in the charge mass?
Have you considered spraying something non-combustible like CO2 or Freon into a small IC (assuming it can't reach your air intake)?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 08:51:26 PM »
Melting ice absorbs LOTS of heat: 315 BTU per kilogram.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 12:38:43 AM »
... It is already going to be complicated and cramped and having a large water system for an intercooler is a pain...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20construction%20menu.html

We found room inside the fender for a tank that if I remember right holds about 28 gallons of ice water.  Still need room for the intercooler also.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20construction%20menu.html

Ours are out front in the stretch frontend but some put them in the passenger compartment.

Sumner

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
If it wasn't clearly said, yes entirely legal for WATER injection in the gas class.  You'll need quite a bit of water figuring 1000 hp or more and very high IATs with compound turbos.  You'd need about 2000 cc/min of water assuming a single turbo with decent air/air IC.  No IC at all and the compound setup is really going to push air temps.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could get away with doing 3000 cc/min of water injection flow. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member