Author Topic: Blown Fuel Flathead fuel consumption  (Read 5900 times)

Offline GD

Blown Fuel Flathead fuel consumption
« on: June 08, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
I’m building a new motor for this years Speedweek. It is a 286” Flathead with a Procharger supercharger and air to water intercooler. Will be running alcohol and possibly up to 25% Nitro, depending on Dyno results. I know my current fuel tank is too small so we are trying to figure out how much fuel we will need for the short course and hopefully long course if we qualify. Does anyone with a similar setup have information they can share on this subject?
Thanks
Gord Driedger
Gord Driedger
53 Studebaker
Record holder Speedweek 2016 XF/FCC 162.698
Record holder Speedweek 2016 XF/GCC 158.978

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Blown Fuel Flathead fuel consumption
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 03:12:32 PM »
GD,
I would suggest that what ever number you come up with you should double that volume in tank size at least. Fuel tanks need to be tall with a big connection on the bottom for the injector pump inlet and you need the extra fuel volume in the tank to insure that the pump does not cavitate and suck air. Really screws up the tune up.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »
I like your idea to run alcohol. I think we might go in that direction also, but take off the turbo and run XF/FALT to get up to speed with the alcohol setup. We cracked another block at the Arkansas 1 mile challenge, this time we cracked the intake seats. Maybe alcohol would be more forgiving? Phil

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:41:35 PM »
I’m building a new motor for this years Speedweek. It is a 286” Flathead with a Procharger supercharger and air to water intercooler. Will be running alcohol and possibly up to 25% Nitro, depending on Dyno results. I know my current fuel tank is too small so we are trying to figure out how much fuel we will need for the short course and hopefully long course if we qualify. Does anyone with a similar setup have information they can share on this subject?
Thanks
Gord Driedger

Gord we have found running gas blown a three gallon tank is fine for the three mile runs theres still plenty of gas left after a run.  Im sure even a four mile run will work with the three gallon tank burning gas. We use a carb if your using injectors the fuel flow requirements should be known by the tech people for the brand injectors you use.
    Running fuel will of course require more capacity  I think a five gallon tank will work fine.  
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline GD

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 01:25:42 AM »
I appreciate the info RonnieRoadster. Yes I am running Hilborn mechanical injection. Just waiting for them to give us their recommendations on nozzle sizes.

Phil - we found that our naturally aspirated flatly likes alcohol. It ran very well on it and ran quite cool. The biggest challenge is trying to get the motor warmed up enough prior to a run. Hopefully it helps with your issues too. If you are running mechanical injection I’d be happy to share our alcohol tuneup with you if you want.

Rex- thanks for your input as well. Appreciate it.

Gord
Gord Driedger
53 Studebaker
Record holder Speedweek 2016 XF/FCC 162.698
Record holder Speedweek 2016 XF/GCC 158.978

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 05:42:29 PM »
I appreciate the info RonnieRoadster. Yes I am running Hilborn mechanical injection. Just waiting for them to give us their recommendations on nozzle sizes.

Phil - we found that our naturally aspirated flatly likes alcohol. It ran very well on it and ran quite cool. The biggest challenge is trying to get the motor warmed up enough prior to a run. Hopefully it helps with your issues too. If you are running mechanical injection I’d be happy to share our alcohol tuneup with you if you want.

Rex- thanks for your input as well. Appreciate it.

Gord

So far we have not put any heat into the engine prior to A run but we do heat the oil I use a simple 110 volt heater element in the oil pan made by Moroso. I think early in the run the pistons become stabilized well before we have a reasonable amount of traction to really start gaining speed. See you in August
           Ronnieroadster

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"